Time for another kids project. Carbon, 650b, mtn bike.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

No unsolicited advertising please. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

This is definitely the coolest kids bike I have ever seen! Your boy must be super stoked!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Updating to a Middleburn RS7 crank with 27/40 chainrings. I unfortunately could not get the crank in any color other than silver. So, it will lose some style points.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Update: Bike had its first really serious offroad thrashing yesterday. The shifting, which has been amazing on the bike path and park trails, was TERRIBLE!!!! The rear derailleur just can't take the bouncing and bumping of offroad riding. 5 dropped chains in an hour. It was a nightmare. My son was really frustrated. Back to the drawing board on drivetrain. We're likely going to switch to a 1x10/11 setup with a 30t chainring and a wide-ratio cassette using a clutch-type derailleur.

whilgenberg

by whilgenberg

Have you tried a different chainring set? A 27/40 combo requires a huge difference in chain length that I am not sure a Di2 derailleur can handle. In fact I don't know if any derailleurs other than extra long cage derailleurs for triples would be able to handle that capacity. That might be the issue that you're having with the chain dropping.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Whilgenberg: We tried other chainring combos. But we couldn't get a low enough gear. I think you are probably right though.

Raineman: The rear derailleur cage tension was as high as I could make it. I considered an aftermarket spring but stuck with the stock spring in the max-tension position, then used an extra long b-tension screw.

I think this concept is a bust for this particular application. I may put the setup on my wife's bike. She doesn't do any racing.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Worked some ebay magic and switched to a 1x11 di2 setup. No more dropped chains.

deleted