Time for another kids project. Carbon, 650b, mtn bike.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Coming soon:

Carbon hardtail.
2x10 di2 drivetrain.

More to come as my eBay campaign comes to a close.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

You are a man on a mission and I love watching you spend your money as it gives me great ideas for my kids.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Well, I don't do drugs or chase women, so I have to spend my money on something. Why not my kids? Just wait until my little man is big enough to ride and gets all the trickle-down from his big brother. So many lessons learned...

BmanX

by BmanX

I am the same so my kids are getting a lot of good stuff. My son at 8 is already on my 26" wheels MTB that I have fitted for him and OMG can he ride it. I only have it set up as a 1 X 10 for fear that he will go way too fast if I put a bigger ring on it.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Sneak peaks. Stock photos.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The fork is not certain yet. I actually have an X-Fusion fork in hand which is the backup plan. But I read great reviews about the Suntour fork and, as always, I am trying to keep the weight as low as my budget will allow for my (now) 70-pound rider.

We decided on 27.5" wheels because of the higher speeds he is riding now. 29" is just too big for a rider under 5 feet tall. But 26" wheels hang up in deep ruts and holes. So we're hoping for a smoother ride over rough terrain and a faster ride over smoother terrain with the bigger wheels.

Standover height is always a concern for me with the kids' projects. I really wanted to find a 13.5" or 14" frame but could only find them from Cube as complete (women's) bikes with very limited availability. I didn't want to spends thousands on a bike only to strip off most of the parts. We have to work with some sponsor obligations so this was the compromise. It's a 15" frame but the standover toward the back of the sloping top-tube is low enough to prevent any incidental contact with my boy's dangly bits. I expect to use a very short (60-70mm), negative rise stem (-35 degree), and flat bar to keep the front end position low enough. I may even flip a riser bar to lower the front even more if necessary. We'll see how it goes.

We're moving back to the U.S. in 8 weeks, so this project likely won't be complete before Christmas.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Well, the fork didn't work out. Someone outbid me with 1 second to go. Kind of shady I think as the winning bidder won 15 other auctions all in the same hour and all with single bids. Many with the same seller I was buying from. I think the seller was using some kind of electronic "bot" to drive up the bids.

fletch62

by fletch62

Its a 'sniping' program which lets you bid at the last second and trump every one else. Dependent on the price you want to spend of course.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So I wound up getting the Suntour fork after all... a little more than my original bid price on ebay, but for roughly half retail price. So, no complaints. As it stands I am looking at sub 3kg frame/fork for $725.00.

Interestingly, it turns out the seller was SR Suntour USA.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Frame turned up yesterday. We're moving back to the U.S. in three weeks so I am not going to unpack it. I don't have many parts for the build yet so there is no point. Updates to follow in a couple months. For those following, sorry for the delay.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Fork showed up today. Literally as the movers were loading the truck with all my furniture and stuff. I got a peek at it. It looks great, feels light. The UD carbon legs are beautiful. But I didn't get to weigh it or feel the action. More to come when I see it again in San Diego.

BmanX

by BmanX

Have a safe trip and I hope the move goes well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I now have all the parts in hand for this build. Trying to covertly get the bike built up as we're unpacking in a new house is proving a bit challenging. I hope to have it built in the next few days then stick it back in a box until Christmas. Photos soon...

Hints: 2x10 di2, crankbrothers carbon, BMX crank hack, black & blue.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

DISASTER!!!!

Finally assembling the bike and discovered the frame was built with a BB30 bottom bracket. I ordered a threaded (English) b/b. The frame was delivered as ordered but they simply pressed in a metal sleeve and then threaded it. In doing so they cut off access to the inside of the frame. I have no way to run the wiring.

Unless I can find a machine shop able to do some precision drilling, I don't know what to do. This may spoil Christmas. Bah!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

locktopus

by locktopus

Pick up a Dremel/rotary tool and get grinding! Hope it works out.