Time for another kids project. Carbon, 650b, mtn bike.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

BmanX

by BmanX

All the best to sort out this issue. I know that when it comes to Christmas and a gift for our kids, I never want to let them down. I will go to any lengths. lol.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I found a custom shop here that is going to press out the insert for me, drill the necessary holes for cable routing, and press it back in while I wait. Hopefully, this is disaster averted. Of course, I also discovered the K-edge shifters I purchased are not E-tube compatible, so that's another last minute issue to resolve. Ugh!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Well, it doesn't look like this project will be complete in time for a Christmas unveiling. My son will wake up to a pile of parts and he can help me with final assembly. That's actually a pretty nice outcome in the end. I probably won't have complete photos before the new year. Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas everyone!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Nearly finished. Waiting for one final part to arrive... hopefully tomorrow.

It turns out I needed a slightly wider bottom bracket than I had planned on. So, for now, I'm using a cheap Shimano cartridge b/b until I can get my hands on something a little nicer. Weight is substantial for this b/b though.

Frame is drilled, wires are routed. Need to cut seatpost and make a few other minor alterations. I couldn't get the crankset I wanted in black so we went with a little splash of white. Saddle, grips, and graphics are white as well, so this should look ok. My son likes it.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to plug the existing holes for internal cable routing. Their are internal guides for derailleur cables which I couldn't use for the di2 wires. So I need to plug them. But they are angled and recessed into the frame. I'm thinking of using some silicone caulk which could be easily removed later if needed.

liam7020

by liam7020

5 or 6mm electrial wiring grommets/plugs any use?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Looks like a nice build, do you have more info on the crank hack?? It sounds interesting. :-)
Ride it like you stole it

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

liam7020, I'll look into those plugs.

Tomstr, I used an Answer BMX crankset with a custom-made 94BCD spider and some KCNC chainrings. Spider came from a company called Turn3 Racing. They specialize in custom BMX parts for smaller kids. I bought some of their 115mm cranks for my 5-year-old. They are AWESOME! ( https://www.facebook.com/turn3racing )

I used the same cranks with a 110BCD spider on his road bike. In that case, I had to grind down a bit of the spider because it made slight contact with the chain. I may have to do the same this time. The other spider has been problem-free for 2 years so I don't think it will be an issue if I have to break out the dremel again.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Very cool crank and spider combo. The spider looks very light too!

I've recently hacked an old 105 crankset for a 1x9 MTB setup but this looks a bit nicer. Thanks for the tip!
Ride it like you stole it

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

A few sneak peaks as the project is finally coming together. Just waiting on the wiring harness for the shifters.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I need to adopt a 19 year old Swedish bikini model first.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

wow! electronic shifting for a kid's bike?

When I was little (i.e. 10 years old) I was riding full size adult bikes my dad bought from a garage sale. I remember I had to walk the bike to the road and use the curb to get on because it was too high for me to mount. Then I had to dismount the bike while still moving in order to clear the top tube.

That is one lucky son you have!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The 40-tooth rear cog just wouldn't work with the di2 setup. We tried but it was impossible. Maybe if I change to one of the K-edge cages. But as it stands now, we set it up with the 11-36 cassette and he is pretty happy. I think he'll need lower gearing for any significant climbs, but for now this will have to do. I am currently away from home for a couple of months and won't be able to work on it again until I get back. Photos to follow then...

jooo

by jooo

Can you not get another spider? A proper granny ring will give you a lower gear than a 40 tooth cog.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I have other crank options that will allow a granny. We're just experimenting for now. 94bcd is the smallest we can put on this particular crank.

The real issue is that the di2 front derailleur probably won't work with a granny gear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Finished... with the exception of finalizing front gearing.