2015 S-Works Venge 6220g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So my first WW project, and dream bike is going to be sold soon. I have a buyer working on his wife's approval, and I was handed down approval from corporate to obtain a 2015 S-Works Venge frameset. I am employed by the big red S nowadays, and I just didn't feel right having my ultimate road race weapon being a competitor brand's bike. So goodbye to my Cervelo S2, and hello SW Venge. If we have less than 10 of any particular item number in stock we must be granted approval by a guy who works in Morgan Hill at our headquarters. Yesterday that green light was granted. As fate would have it, the 2015 Venge is available in the exact color scheme I have wanted to custom paint my S2 since I took delivery of it as a warranty replacement for my SLC. I wasn't super happy about the replacement bike's paint, but it grew on me, and I could never justify the custom paint's price. You might be wondering what this new paint job will entail. Well think gloss black with matte logos. I've never really been a fan of the matte paint that has been out lately, and I am so glad this new color is available. Gloss just seems to clean up so much better. So here is a spy shot.

I already weighed the frame. A 54cm with the BB installed as it comes from the factory was 1150g. My Cervelo was 1140g w/o a BB so I am in the good already. One thing I noticed racing, and training on my S2 this year, after training a majority of my time on me Allez, was a bit less stiffness in the front end. It's not an earth shattering amount of flex, but it does flex more than my 2014 Smartweld Allez. Which btw, I love that bike, and I think it is a fantastic bargain. It will remain in my stable as a bad weather/crit bike for an undetermined amount of time. I am speculating, and hoping that the 1 3/8" lower headset bearing design will yield a stiffer front end. The goal with this Venge, and the niche in my arsenal of which it is focused, is a lightweight, and aero road weapon, much like it's predecessor. Eventually, I would like to get another Berk Composites seatpost combo built for this bike as well. I loved the one on my Cervelo. I have a few of the weights recorded already. I intend to do this project right, and weigh, and record every single part before it goes on the bike this time.

Frame : Specialized S-Works Venge 54cm (1137g with BB) extra Phil Wood Bearings were 49g so frame alone is about 1090g
Fork : Specialized S-Works Venge (385g)
Headset : Specialized (62g) Specialized Expander (24g)
Top Cap : Veloflyte Carbon (4g with bolt)
Stem: Zipp Service Course SL 120mm 17deg Beyond Black
Handlebars : Zipp Vuka Sprint SS Bend 42cm 1" trimmed (221g)
Bartape : Fizik Microtex Gloss Black
Seatpost : Specialized Venge
Saddle: To be Determined Probably S-Works Toupe 130mm
Seatpost Collar : Specialized Venge (32g)
Wheels : Zipp 404 tubular (2010 with newer 2012 Beyond Black Stickers)
Tires : Vittoria Corsa EVO CX 23mm FR 25mm RR (will be switching to S-Works Turbo next time)
Skewers : KCNC (44g)
Crankset : Specialized S-Works 170mm
Bottom Bracket : Specialized Ceramic Speed (weight included in frame)
Chainrings : Praxis Works 50/34
Chain Catcher : Sram Red 2012
Pedals : Speedplay Zero Pedals, tuned with Ward Ti Spindles (159g/pr)
Chain : KMC X10-SL
Cassette : Sram Red 11-23 10sp
Front Derailleur : Sram Red 2012 (84g) with chain catcher
Rear Derailleur : Sram Red (a little dremel and carbon pulley wheels 121g)
Shifters : Sram Red 10sp
Brakes : KCNC w/ Swiss Stop Black Pads (174g)
Cables : Jagwire
Bottle Cages : Specialized Rib Cage Carbon
Last edited by ProfessorChaos on Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Sounds like a great build. Looking forward to some pics of it!

You'll love the way the Venge rides, it'll be interesting to see how you compare it to the Allez. (I've also got an Allez as my crit bike)

BmanX

by BmanX

I so can't wait to see this built up. I am sure it will be just that much better than the SLC!
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I took delivery today. I starting building, and weighing everything. If you look the weights have been updated in the original post. HaroldC your bikes are amazing! I just checked them out. BMANX thanks buddy. I hope you like your new crank btw. I'll get some pics tomorrow. I hope to finish building it on my lunch break at work. I want to ride it tomorrow night. :) I'm really digging the gloss carbon with matte logos. It looks so amazing. I am thinking seriously about not only having Berk build me another seatpost/saddle combo, but a bar/stem combo as well. If nothing else I think I may have to refinish the Vukasprints, and remove the logos. The white logos look a bit loud on the otherwise stealthed out bike.
Last edited by ProfessorChaos on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

BmanX

by BmanX

Cranks arrive on Thursday thank you! I want Jure to redo my Zipp Vuka sprint bars so they look as good as they should that or I will buy the HAERO aero drop bars with the aero extensions.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

HaroldC

by HaroldC

My vote would be to refinish the Vukasprint to a stealth finish. Maybe match the bike - gloss black with matte Zipp logos. I've thought about getting the S-Works aero bar, but I really like my 3T in the stealth finish.

Really looking forward to seeing the complete build!!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Excited! Can not wait to see this! I've seen some snippets of the stuff you do Chaos and I know is will be cool!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I took it for it's maiden voyage last night. The saddle, and stem are temporary. I'll get some good pics of it this weekend. I swapped my SLR Kit Carbonio off my Allez onto it today already. They are links off of my FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... adf84c0923
this was while I was building it on my long lunch yesterday....
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... c7ef449876

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Oh man that's perfect. The stem should stay, it looks the part

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

weeracerweenie wrote:Oh man that's perfect. The stem should stay, it looks the part

It needs to be a bit lower. I think I could have gone with a 130, instead of the 120 i bought, but it definitely needs to be a -17 instead of a -6. It rode great tonight. It was a hard ride, but the bike did great. It's just like I thought it would be. It felt a lot like the S2, except with a stiffer frontend. The new stem is still a Zipp SCSL, it's my favorite, but I got a Beyond Black model. It should look the part even more. It might ride a bit better too, but it's hard to tell with my Spinergys. Everything rides good with those wheels. I will get a better idea when I ride the Zipps on Sunday when I race it.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I've got a BB SCSL stem in 120 -17 that showed up by mistake. Threw it on my Venge as the -12 still isn't low enough but I just can't accept the look of that -17!

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Well, I am picking the one up I ordered tonight. How much do you want for yours? I need another for my Allez too. I personally love the look of the -17, I guess different strokes for different folks as they say....

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

+1 for -17 :) I ran -28 on my Stumpy Ht Expert, and currently run -20 on my lefty. It's badass

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Okay, so I got some pics of the first few day uploaded. I really, really, really like this bike a lot. I am anxiously awaiting tomorrow's race. I finally got my proper stem, and installed it. I also was able to weigh it at the local bike shop. It is heavier than the S2 was. Not by a lot though. I think the seatpost combo was much of it, the cranks are probably a little more than the Lightning cranks, the fork is quite few grams heavier as well, the bottle cages are a bit heavier too, but to be honest my New Ultimates both broke on me so I'm okay with running these heavier Carbon Rib Cages. I feel that the weight is rather respectable anyway so I am not worried too much about it. So far I really like the ride, and it does feel stiffer too somehow. When they came out with the Venge the mantra for it was "more bike than aero", I can attest to that now. This latest version is pretty nice. Some refinements I've noticed is updated internal cable routing, and the extra holes for Di2 are all gone. Since the internal batteries came out there is no reason to have the holes in the frame like the older versions had. It makes it look a lot cleaner I think. Speaking of clean the gloss carbon with matte logos just looks fantastic. It shows up okay in these pics, but in person it is amazing. I think it is the best black on black color scheme Specialized has released to date. Anyway here are the pics, enjoy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So this is me on the top step of the podium today. The S-Works Venge carried me across the line first.