Talbot Frameworks Path Racer

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Dammit

by Dammit

I've ridden fixed since around 2007, the vast bulk of my commuting miles and my after work training has been done on a variety of fixed gear bikes- initially converted road frames, the inevitable lo-pro, and a variety of aluminium track frames.

Of them all my favourites were (prepare yourself!) a Langster and a Cannondale CAAD7 track - both of which are essentially road frames with track ends.

Prior to the Path Racer I'd just replaced my dead CAAD7 frame with a Ridley Oval 907C - an outright track frame, stiff as hell and totally uncompromising.

I have to admit I really didn't like it - apart from sprinting flat out, it was not in it's element, it beat me up over rough roads and the toe-overlap was "challenging" when weaving through traffic.

It now belongs to a chap who keeps it at the Velodrome- where I'm sure it's happier than it was when it was with me.

Now as a type of bicycle the Path Racer has honest claim to be one of the oldest- designed when a lot of roads were unmetalled, it was used to train on the road and raced on the track.

Hence it has a road biased geometry, yet it boasts a fixed drivetrain.

Sound familiar?

I decided to build one for myself, and if it worked, offer it as a model from Talbot Frameworks.

The geometry was lifted directly from one of my all-time favourite handling bikes, my Serotta CSi, with a slight lift to the BB to reduce the chance of pedal strike when cornering.

Tubing wise we went with 853 OS for the downtube, a Paragon Machine Works 44mm head tube, a swaged 853 seat tube (28.6 at the top, 31.2 at the BB), a PMW PF30 BB shell, Columbus MAX top tube (in a reversed orientation from how Columbus intended -more on that later), Zona chainstays and 14mm 4130 seat stays into a wishbone, with one short 16mm 4130 tube completing the rear end.

To allow (convenient use of) mudguards with a fixed drivetrain we used PMW rocker dropouts - once chain tension is set and the dropouts locked down the wheel drops out vertically.

For anyone who has had to fix a flat in the driving rain on their fixed-training bike with mudguards the ability to simply drop the wheel out and then put it back in without removing the mudguard and having to re-tension the chain should resonate.

Living in England a lot of my after work training is done at night, so we used a Shutter Precision dynamo hub, linked to Supernova E3 lights, running the cable through the top tube (Di2 grommets are useful for this) to keep things clean.

I used a Powertap G3 Track for the rear hub to record training load etc.

A Kinesis fork with mudguard eyelets but a road bike A-C measurement completed the picture.

Finally, being a fan of the older performance Volvos we painted it T-5R Gul yellow.

I have to cut the mudguard stays down still:

Dynamo wiring through the frame, and both brake levers operate the front brake via the Problem Solvers device:

Who can tell me what the Volvo reference is in this photo?

A relatively modest 48/18 as there are (contrary to popular belief) hills in London:

I'm a power-weenie, I admit it:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dammit

by Dammit

I honestly can't overstate how much I love the dynamo lights:

The MAX top-tube allows us to have the oval profile meet the 28.6mm seat-tube perfectly, with a nice large contact area and a smooth transition - yet it also flows perfectly into the 44mm headtube at the other end.

The bike as-pictured has done 2,100 miles since we finished it (just in time- the paint was drying as we built it up) for this years Bespoked.

It was, in a funny way, our favourite bike there (despite us winning a prize for Dalsnibba) as it's all it needs to be, and no more.

It's also tremendous fun to zip about on, comfortable, forgiving, yet razor sharp when you need it to be, and with almost zero flex around the BB when you fancy having a dig.

It really is one of my favourite bikes - I can't see myself ever getting rid of it, or if I did it would be with an updated version.

allardklijnstra

by allardklijnstra

both of which are essentially road frames with track ends.

But isn't that what made them epic?

Anyway rather cool and interesting bike! :thumbup: Is the front hub/dynamo 5volt? you could charge a garmin with it :lol:

iamalex

by iamalex

That's outstanding, lots of nice details! Sounds like a great build for flying in/out and around London - I'll keep an eye out for it around town.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Very nice. Makes me want to go looking around scrap yards for old Volvo's.

brearley

by brearley

Sorry if I missed it but what are those mudguards?
I need them in my life for my new build. :thumbup:

Dammit

by Dammit

brearley wrote:Sorry if I missed it but what are those mudguards?
I need them in my life for my new build. :thumbup:

They are Curana C-Lite, I've used three of them here:

ITTY

by ITTY

This bike is fantastic. Love the color. It looks like a lot of fun to cruise around town on. What is the weight?
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

Lewis

by Lewis

Awesome bikes mate.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Great bike. And the Volvo reference is probably the dove gray garage door. [emoji16]
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Tell me more about that dynamo front light! What's the weight & cost of the complete system?

Dammit

by Dammit

Weight - no idea I'm afraid, that wasn't a priority for this project.

It's a Supernova E3 Pro 2 front light, with the matching Supernova E3 tail-light.

Both of these are run from a Shutter Precision PV-8 hub, which in the UK are rebadged by Exposure and sold as their own model.

The whole thing works brilliantly - strong, clear light that's always there and never runs out of battery.

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

Thank you, definitely sounds like a worthwhile upgrade for a gloomy old British winter.

steelisreal79

by steelisreal79

Very very cool bike!
Is the front light mounted where the front brake is mounted in the fork and what's the spacing of the front fork, standard 100mm? Planning a dyno hyb myself as well...
Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com