My first build: 2009 Gary Fisher Presidio

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Amazinmets73

by Amazinmets73

Hello all. Before I start a little introduction, as this will be the first of many builds for me. I'm a 26 year old man living in the US who lost his license this year. Since then I've discovered the joy of cycling and have no intentions of ever owning a car again. I have 2 road bikes and decided is was time for something different, so...

...I purchased this cyclocross frame off EBay. My intended uses for it are commuting (30 kilometer round trip) touring and exploring gravel and off road trails, and competing in my first cyclocross races. I am not decided in which groupset I will use yet, but the front runner is Ultegra 6800. My goal is a sub 8,500g bike.

Frame as it is now Image

The fork is aftermarket, a Bontrager Race Lite. Brakes are Avid Ultimates. Any other options for a groupset besides Ultegra? My max budget is 700US. I had looked at Campy Centaur as well. I'm also considering changing the fork to a Ritchey WCS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You're going to have a hard time getting Ultegra 6800, plus all the other parts you need, for $700. I think you'll be better off getting a mix of 105 and CX50 components at that budget.

Amazinmets73

by Amazinmets73

FIJIGabe wrote:You're going to have a hard time getting Ultegra 6800, plus all the other parts you need, for $700. I think you'll be better off getting a mix of 105 and CX50 components at that budget.

Ribble has 6800 for 660. What other parts will I be needing?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

stem, handlebar, pedals, wheels, tires, etc. If your budget was $700 for the groupset, however, then you'll be fine.

Amazinmets73

by Amazinmets73

FIJIGabe wrote:stem, handlebar, pedals, wheels, tires, etc. If your budget was $700 for the groupset, however, then you'll be fine.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Budget was 700 for groupset

Amazinmets73

by Amazinmets73

Ah, I just found Rival22 for 615, so that's also an option. Rival and Ultegra are roughly the same weight. Which do you think is the better group for cross? My road bikes are equipped with 2010 Force and Dura Ace 7800, and while I prefer double tap it's not a deal breaker.

Some questions... Which cassette, crankset, and rear derailleur size should I purchase? Keeping in mind my intended usage for the bike. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to these issues. Also, how do I find out which bottom bracket and front derailleur size my frame requires?

Amazinmets73

by Amazinmets73

I just won a Super Record 11 mini group on EBay. I get shifters, front and rear derailleurs, and brakes. What's the consensus on Record 11 for CX?

Amazinmets73

by Amazinmets73

I actually decided to build another cross frame first. 2009 Jamis Nova Pro. I'm using Athena shifters, RD, and FD, Shimano RS11 wheels, Centaur UT crank, and an Ultegra cassette and chain. I have the original Tektro brakes, but I'll probably use aftermarket brakes. As long as she's under 9kg and rolls well I'll be happy!

Onto the Presidio... I'm going to use Chorus 11 speed shifters, Chorus 11 UT crank, Athena RD and FD, Ultegra cassette and chain, and Avid Ultimate calipers.

Question: Does anyone have experience with 3T products? I've noticed that their products can be found online at high discounts. I was thinking a Palladio Pro seatpost, Tournova Pro bars, a 3T stem, and Accelero Pro wheels. I think this would make an aesthetically pleasing bike, but it's been difficult to find reviews of these items

Amazinmets73

by Amazinmets73

Just had this built

2010 Jamis Supernova, 56CM

Chorus 11 speed shifters
XTR M971 RD
105 FD
9 speed XTR 7701 chain
Planet X bollox cantilevers
Rival 50/34 crankset (I'm actually going to change the crankset in a few days to a Gossamer 48/34)

Ritchey Comp 44CM handlebars
FSA OS-150 stem
Zipp service course CX bar tape
Bontracer RXL seatpost
Fizik Arione saddle
Michelin Jet cross tires
Mavic CXP22 wheels (I'll upgrade the wheels soon)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com