Custom build Specialized Epic S-Works 29

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jipperd

by jipperd

After riding a Specialized Epic 26" for 5 years it is time to move on. Thanks to our fellow member dellpan I got a great deal on, once again, a Specialized Epic S-Works, this time a 29er. I received the frameset perfectly packed last week and this week I started ordering the parts to build it with.

Below you'll find the first picture, many more will come.

Frame: Specialized Epic S-Works Small
Fork: RockShox Sid WC Brain
Wheelset: ZTR Crest / DT Swiss 240
Groupset: Sram XO (still have to decide to go with triggers or twisters)
Seatpost: Easton Havoc non setback
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Carbon
Stem: to be determined
Handlebar: Syntace Duraflyte 60cm (or Easton EC70 if Syntace won't work)
Pedals: Shimano XTR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jipperd

by jipperd

Today I've received the ZTR Crest / DT Swiss Wheelset and some new bearings for both the bracket and headset. The stem, seatpost and saddle are just mock-ups just to get a feeling with the build.

The Sram XO group has been ordered en will arrive Saturday or Monday, the XT brakes are already in.

Getter

by Getter

Looks good so far!

What gearing are you going with? 1x or 2x?

If 2x I think it would be kinda cool to go with trigger for the front and Grip Shift for the rear.

jipperd

by jipperd

Gearing is going to be 2x10 with trigger shifters.
Gripshift is very quick and fine as well, but since being used to triggers for over 5 years I'll stick with it.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Did you weight the frame before the build up? :-)

jipperd

by jipperd

@mad kock. I did, can't remember the exact weight but aprox 2130gr incl rear suspension, derailleur hanger and bottom bracket.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Good looking build so far. Congrats!

Did you consider 27.5? If it had been more readily available when I bought my size small MTB, I could've been convinced. How about you?

I like that you've got a bit of drop from your saddle to the bar. If you're looking for more, consider the Syntace Flatforce stem. I had to go that route with my size sm 29er HT to just get my saddle even with my bar. Little legs (and hardly any seat post showing) are my cross to bear - ha!

Not going Shimano levers and brakes? Seems the MTB scene much prefers XT/XTR to XO/X9. I'm riding SRAM only because that's how my rig was spec'd by the factory, but wonder what I'm missing out on.

jipperd

by jipperd

I've been thinking about riding a 650b bike. However ever since I've started riding the Epic brain system (on my 26 bike) I was convinced. I testrode a 29ér and felt pretty fine, since no 650b Epic exist I went with the 29'er.
As for the Sram vs. Shimano, I prefer Sram, only their brakes sucks, therefor I use Shimano brakes.

In the meanwhile I completed the build, only a new rear shock is needed and will arrive the 15th of august.

Below some pics:

scant

by scant

looks good, what is the current weight?

vfb

by vfb

Awesome!!! Please take the stickers off the rims, it will look much better and save 8 grams or something ;-)
I ride for fun

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Looks fantastic; the Epic's are a great looking bike and a popular choice amongst XC racers down here. :thumbup:

I would love to get my hands on one :!:

jipperd

by jipperd

Thanks for the positive feedback.
Yesterday I did a quick weight check. The bike with pedals, garmin mount, bottlecage and Geax pitstop Magnum (incl. tube holder) weight 11.1kg. W/o the pitstop it will be sub 11kg. The final picture will come in later, friday the 15th a replacement rear shock will be mounted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com