Building my first 'ghetto' TT bike: opinions? pics to follow

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

davidalone

by davidalone

So like most of you who race, I have a nice road bike.
Up until now I've not had a TT bike, mainly because the cost of keeping a dedicated TT bike for the couple of TT's I do a year ( 2-3) was impractical. I've just slapped some clip ons on the road.

However, I managed to pick up an Old-new-stock orbea alloy TT frame ( orbea aletta, allo rame, circa 2008) for $100 a few weeks ago, and the spare parts bin is being raided to put this ghetto TT bike together. It's ceratinly not the most aero frame out there- it's still running exposed cables, but hey, for 100 bucks who's complaining?

I know this is weight weenies an all, but I've already mentioned that building a super high end TT bike is not economically feasible- so I'm here asking for tips on how to make the most Bang for buck TT bike out of my parts bin. Maybe suggestions on how I would go about tuning it or making it more aero?

Proposed Build:
( all these part are in the parts bin, or are at least available for a nominal sum)
Frame: Orbea aletta Sz 51 circa 2008 (black)
Fork: Kestrel Aero fork ( I still have the original orbea fork, but I have a spare kestrel fork off a kestrel talon that pairs nicely and looks much better, and also LOOKS mroe aero by my eyeball test)
Bottom Bracket: Ultegra 6700 English thread
Crank : Dura Ace 7800 172.5 53/39 OR Quarq RIKEN 172.5 50/34 (I have bigger chainrings. Quarq is currently on the road bike, I can swap them over for races.)
Brakes: Sram Rival
Brake Levers: Vision Brake levers
Shifters: Sram TT500 shifters
Rear derailleur: Sram Force 10 speed
Front Derailleur: Dura ace 7800
Seatpost: Ritchey Carbon WCS 27.2mm
Chain: Shimano 105
Bars:Vision Trimax team Aerobars with Vision Alloy base bar
Stem: none at the moment, since I haven't dialed in the fit and al the components yet.
accessories: Elite Custom bottle cage on seat tube
Wheels: have some 30mm training wheels on at the moment.

Total spend is less than $400 (not counting the parts from the parts bin)

Any suggestions how I would tune/ make this baby faster? drilling for internal cables? should I go with the kestrel fork or go back to the orbea fork?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Derf

by Derf

Drilling for tidy cable management is a good'un. That way you can also drill the back of your Vision bars and have the shifter cables run straight back to behind the stem.

Probably best not to run a water bottle on the ST, go with a between-the-arms setup (ziptie the bottle cage to the aero extensions).

No one knows fork-wise, so whichever makes you happier.

Go buy some .040 black ABS plastic and make a disc cover for your rear wheel. Get as low as sensible. Aero helmet is definitely worth your while, too.

pantelones

by pantelones

After ensuring that your build up is clean and tidy I would focus most on getting a solid and aggressive aero position. This is where the benefit of a TT bike is.

After that I would prioritize a well fitting Skinsuit, TT helmet, low CRR tires & latex tubes, wheels.

Oh, and shave your legs too.

Dalai

by Dalai

davidalone wrote:Bars:Vision Trimax team Aerobars with Vision Alloy base bar

If racing under UCI rules, confirm the Vision basebar is UCI legal (3:1 aspect ratio). I had to swap out my Trimax bars when they changed the rules a few years back...