Trek Emonda SL Frameset - 52cm - Weights

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

hatone

by hatone

Thanks.

Apologies if I'm not being very clear, but I'm struggling to find out what's the shortest stack headset out there I can fit to the Emonda? 8 mm is too tall. Ideally around 6 mm or below.

I'm upgrading from a Madone 6.9 with an H1 head tube. I've decided to buy H2 this time as removes the need to run tall'ish stacks and spacers, giving a cleaner overall look IMO.

amey

by amey

How complicated was the installation of cables through internal handlebars? Do you have any pics before you taped them? I googled and couldnt find any.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

erwizy4p5

by erwizy4p5

I actually had the lbs install the cables as it was frustrating me a bit

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Cable installation isn't too bad, I just pushed mine through and used an old spoke bent at the tip to hook the cable outer and pull it through.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Gears for Good - Seems like you got it while the getting was good. I finally went in over the weekend with money in hand to order my 52cm Emonda SL. Not readily available. Backorder only. No definite ETA. Ugh.
If/when I get it I do intend to port over the Record group, including calipers. Have to say I don't feel I have much more clearance with the Giant TCR they are on now than I see on your TRP's. But we'll see exactly when (crap, if) they get mounted on the Emonda.
I'm looking at other options but nothing seems even close to the value of the Emonda SL. Especially since I have everything I need to make it a ridable bike.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

Norregard

by Norregard

Yeah, there is a huge waiting time. Ordered my Emonda SL (size 60) two weeks ago. ETA? December!

Chader09

by Chader09

I ordered my SLR8 about 3 weeks ago and it is still 2 months out.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

That's good to know! There's either a tight supply or a big demand.

Seneb

by Seneb

carlcurry - Wow, bummer about the wait times! I think I ordered mine the day it was released to the public, but I knew a bit about it the week prior. As for the brake clearance, I got a hold of some brand new Chorus brakes and the clearance is no better. I mounted the front brake but didn't run cables or anything. Just test fitting. When the arms are clamped, the top of tire to brake distance is about the same as with the TRPs. When I released the brake (took my hand off it), the arms actually rested on the top of the tire. They wouldn't do that when properly set up, but I thought it was interesting.

On a fun note, I picked up my new wheelset today. Pacenti SL23 rims, Circus Monkey hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes (20f/24r), and DT Swiss alloy nipples. 1430 grams for the set. I didn't weigh all the parts since I had my shop do the build, but each rim weighs 450g, front hub is 70g, rear hub is 230g.

I have a couple other new parts on there as well and will post another full shot soon.

Chader09

by Chader09

Chader09 wrote:I ordered my SLR8 about 3 weeks ago and it is still 2 months out.

Correction, I got an official delivery date for mine today while I was at the shop.

Due 10/06/2014, so I may get a chance to ride it before the snow flies here. :D

Seneb

by Seneb

Ugg. I ran into more problems with the front brake last night. I honestly think they got the angle wrong for the mounting bolt. I swapped my Continental Grand Prix 4000s tires over to the Pacenti rims and they hit the bottom of the brake caliper. If the brake was angled up just a bit, there could be tons of clearance. I know it isn't a problem with the brakes. I purchased a set of Campagnolo Chorus brakes and the clearance was the same, if not a little less. I have a set of 23c Continental Ultra Sport tires hanging around, so I am going to give them a try tonight. As for the rear, there are no problems with clearance.

I'm getting really frustrated with this, and would recommend to anyone thinking of purchasing the frameset (or maybe even complete bike) to really think about the build they want and make sure it will actually work.

:noidea:

Chader09

by Chader09

I will take a close look at the SL6 we have on the floor to see how it looks with the stock Ultegra brakes.

SilentG

by SilentG

if you think that there is a defect with the fork, go to your local trek dealer with the bike, bring the pictures you have and ask them if they can warranty it. first, i would take a fork from another emonda and see if that fixes the problem, and if it does, you should be able to get a new fork within a couple of weeks. do you have the fitment issues in the rear as well?

Seneb

by Seneb

Chader09 - Thanks!

SilentG - I'm going to call the shop at 10 when they open. I'm hoping he has one down there to check out, but he didn't seem too stoked on stocking another model when I last spoke with him. There are no issues with the rear at all. 27s might even fit back there. Thing is, I don't think it is just my fork. I think it is the design of the SL forks.

Another reason I think the angle is wrong is based on the pad location. I looked at a ton of photos online and noticed that the pads are all located at the top end of the adjustment slot. I'd think that ideally they would be closer to the center.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Any new frame or fork these days should accommodate 25c tires as a minimum. I think you're probably right @Seneb, it's a design flaw if they're all like that. Or if not a design flaw... a big "whoops" at the very least. Trek is a good company though and for the most part I really like what they're doing these days. I suspect they will take care of you.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com