Trek Emonda SL Frameset - 52cm - Weights

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Fantastic timing on this post! I am looking at the Emonda SL myself. Was going to go with A Giant Advanced frameset at $2000, but $500 bucks is $500 bucks USD (mortgage and one child). Also relevant for me because I'll be reusing a Record 11 group for the build.
Hearing you break down exactly how it gets done raises a few things. Hopefully you are still following the thread...
*Any issues using the Trek adapters on your Ultra-Torque crank? I see your initial reaction of stiff. That's good. I have no interest in replacing my crankset.
*Were you given any options on the stem? I'll need an 11. I didn't even realize they were including a stem in the reasonable cost of the frame. I can use the 11 I have, but it's a nice value add on so what the heck.
*Would love to hear how it is on fast technical descents. I've seen plenty of initial reviews on the SLR frameset, not so much on the SL. I see you mention a little twitchy, I'm hoping not too much so.

The toe overlap is a bit of a concern. I'm using 44's. And I do use track stands at stop lights. Overlap can cause trouble.
Also the tight clearance. I'm using GrandPrix 4-season 25c's with Record calipers. Didn't give that a thought until now.

Again, thx for the information.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seneb

by Seneb

No need to quote above post

No issues with the adapters. Just follow the instructions exactly and use the proper Loctite. If I were to do it again, I would use a clamp to lightly hold the sleeves in place for the 24 hour curing time for extra peace of mind. I had no funky noise during a 52 mile hilly ride on Sunday.

No option on the stem, and I did ask since I needed a 100mm stem and mine shipped with a 90mm. If you look at the specs for the complete builds, the frameset will ship with whatever stem is used for the build of that size. Seems like a bit of a waste. Mine is up on ebay right now.

Fast technical descents are fun! On Sunday I climbed Fremont Peak near San Juan Bautista, Ca. It's a twisty road (and my first time riding it) so I only got up to 42mph on the way down, but it handled amazingly well. Very stable. My only problem was carbon rim overheat and a bit of brake loss, but that of course was no fault of the frameset. I think the initial twitch I felt was just getting to know the bike.

I'm used to some toe overlap with my frames and this one doesn't bother me. Track stands (so far) at lights haven't been a problem.

If you get the frameset and build it up with 25s and the Record calipers, I would love to see the clearance on the front. I'm thinking of switching to Record or Super Record calipers but would rather not just buy them hoping the clearance will be better. I've searched online but can't find any good photos of the SL or S builds from the front that show the area well.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

My team shop is a Trek Concept Store, and they carry a range of stems and seat mast caps. They were willing to swap new for new to ensure the bike fitted. No additional cost.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

Seneb

by Seneb

And again. As previous.

That's good service. When my frameset arrived, the shop only had one 100mm RXL stem in stock but it was white. However, with the geometry, I wanted to use my -10 degree Thomson stem because of the extra drop. Anyway, it would be nice to be able to order a specific size with the frameset.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

What's with all the bashing? Show me a brand new frameset for $1400! I'd like to see the list of competitors! Investing 4-5k into frameset is not the priority for some who have kids, cars, mortgage, college loan. Please respect others hence we all strive to build the lightest bikes.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

The Emonda slr range is the Light one. The sl and s range is basically a normal bike weight. I'm getting a Emonda sl framset only because it has steel dropouts (carbon dropouts for me last about 2 years before its totaled) and because my LBS is fervent trek dealer. It is a average weight but can be made lighter with high end parts like Sram Red, carbon handle bars and lightweight wheels. I'm using American Classic 420 aero 3 wheels with my sl frameset and they are 1530g. Also going to get a Soul s.2 wheelset for climbing rides (1300g)
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!

dha

by dha

Bike looks great, am tempted to buy one of these framesets as a +1 bike

Norregard

by Norregard

After about 6 months of researching, debating, changing my mind, giving up, changing my mind again, I finally found a sweetspot in the looks - weight/carbon - budget balance with this frame. So I'm going to order an Emonda SL frame (58cm) to replace my current crappy aluminum frame (not that all aluminum frames are crappy per say, but mine really is!) and build it up with mostly stuff from my current bike + some extras.

I'm looking at about 7,5kg right now, which admittedly isn't very weight weenie, but is a huge step forward from my current 9,5kg brick. Mortgage, wife and two kids means I can't afford to go full throttle on this. Build would look something like this:

Frame: Emonda SL stem, seatmast, fork, etc. incl (1850g)
Gruppo: Ultegra 6600 (2350g)
Wheels: Zipp 60c (1820g)
Tyres: Conti GP 4000 II (470g)
Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide (163g)
Handlebars: Bontrager Race Light VR (245g)
Inner Tubes: Continental Race Light 80mm (150g)
Brake Pads: Swisstop Flash Pro Green (35g)
Bar Tape: tbd (75g?)
Bottle Cages: 2 x Elite Custom Race (82g)
Pedals: Look Keo Classic (277g)

I've added the weights I found scouring around the internet and the WW listings, most of them are claimed weights, as opposed to real life weights. I don't think I've forgotten anything major.

Goal for next year would be to upgrade that gruppo to something more recent, plus maybe a new saddle and pedals. Maybe bringing the weight a bit closer to 7kg on the way.

Yay for new bikes!

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

mpulsiv wrote:What's with all the bashing? Show me a brand new frameset for $1400! I'd like to see the list of competitors! Investing 4-5k into frameset is not the priority for some who have kids, cars, mortgage, college loan. Please respect others hence we all strive to build the lightest bikes.

Cervelo R2 is in that pricerange class (although not sold as frameset afaik). Felt F series, Cannondale Supersix Evo lower end models. Plenty of things in this space

Norregard

by Norregard

The R2 uses an R3 frameset, which is quite a bit more expensive than an Emonda SL frameset.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

You can buy an entire R2 for 2500 USD.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

justkeepedaling wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:What's with all the bashing? Show me a brand new frameset for $1400! I'd like to see the list of competitors! Investing 4-5k into frameset is not the priority for some who have kids, cars, mortgage, college loan. Please respect others hence we all strive to build the lightest bikes.

Cervelo R2 is in that pricerange class (although not sold as frameset afaik). Felt F series, Cannondale Supersix Evo lower end models. Plenty of things in this space

If frameset is not available then don't list it. Felf F series is ~$1650 http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2014/Bi ... meset.aspx
I don't know how many notice but Felt F series has the lowest headtube in the peloton. 120mm on 54cm frame. This is significantly lower than others bikes in the peloton.

Cannondale Supersix series? If CAAD10 frameset retail for $1000 I can't imagine Supersix will be under $2000.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

justkeepedaling wrote:You can buy an entire R2 for 2500 USD.

That's $1000 more then Emonda frameset. Spending extra $1000 on Shimano 105 and FSA Gossamer crankset? No, thank you.

CaptainInsano

by CaptainInsano

Seneb, you da man! I've been thinking about buying a Emonda SL frameset, and use my existing stuff, and this thread has been invaluable. Thanks.

Another question: Was the black-on-black colorway (found on the SL 6) an option to you as a frameset? I'd like to buy a murdered out frame, if it's available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GreenGoat93

by GreenGoat93

My Trek Dealer said that they can't get the Emonda sl frameset in Australia at the moment and for a while. Bummer
-Trek Madone 6 Series SSL 2012 with Sram Red 22 and American Classic Aero 420 wheels
-Bombrack Divide 2013
Also
Metho Everything!