Cervelo S5 - Canadian / Italian love child

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Hi guys, I've seen this forum for a long time and visited every so often, but I'm dig'n the feel here compared to others. People seem to be knowledgeable and courteous. Some amazing rides in here too!

Hope to learn a lot and contribute a little (sorry I don't have much to offer).

My name is Aaron Hunter from Spencer, IA and I ride a 2012 Cervelo S5. Anyone from Iowa?
Last edited by nd2rc on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

dont be shy !
show us whatcha got , that is your ride ofcourse (-:

micky

by micky

Welcome!
We want pictures!! :welcome:

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Stock as a rock (which is actually pretty disappointing for the money you spend). Weight, errrr I don't have a scale, but when I used a bathroom floor scale it looked to be about 8.07kg (heavy).

Only change from that pic is a Dura-Ace chain. Actually surprised how much less it weighs compared to an Ultegra solid pin.

Cranks gotta go! And since I live in "flat-as-a-pancake" great plains I'm dig'n the Rotor Flow crankset. But that new Campy groupset. UGH, decisions decisions.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Holy crap, ok I have to work on my picture posting etiquette. That's huge! sorry about that.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Welcome! I have a wee soft spot for cervelos, and the bathroom scales would seem to be 'near enough', nothing some good weight weenieism cant fix though!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Update: Had some wheel rub issues I noticed and have a warranty frameset on the way. I've seen a lot of comments about bare frame weights, I'll get the shop to weigh before and after bb is pressed in (I should just spring for a ceramic bb) with a legit bike scale.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

New frameset is in (fingers crossed tire has clearance), are ceramic BB's worth it? I've seen a few comments about low life span. I was dig'n the one from wheelsmfg

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

In my opinion no. Depends what sort of money they are asking for but it's never something I've been able to feel after putting one in... Ceramic wheels bearings however are a different story
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Awesome, thanks for the info! I had them press in the stock SRAM BB the frameset came with. I need to get a digital scale and weigh everything individually now.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Here she is on the second ride. I like this paint scheme way more than the 2011/2012. Early next year I'll start throwing new parts at it and a stiff aero wheelset.
Attachments
IMG_20140901_095007_338 resize.jpg

j0oftheworld

by j0oftheworld

Welcome
JasonM. Tempe, AZ
'14 SW Roubaix / '16 Allez Sprint

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Thanks! Looking for cheap ways to drop weight. Anyone have any suggestions? I already replaced the obscene FSA headset top bearing cover for a veloflyte. Now that I know I like the feel of the bike with the stem slammed I'll trim the steerer tube. There's a Pro Turnix Carbon saddle at my LBS I want to pick next week or I'll order a Prologo Scratch CPC, can't decide. What about skewers? I see pricing and weight claims and reliability all over the place, but I'm sure my stock Fulcrum skewers are a bit porky.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

I have been thinking about getting an aero frame, but I'm not sure what company to go with. How is Cervelo's built quality? have you had any problems with the frame since you have gotten it?

nd2rc

by nd2rc

Well, on my third one actually. The new S5 has all issues fixed and the S3 is a great choice with tons of guys on this forum dig'n the ride quality, build quality, at a more reasonable price.

Otherwise, I dig the bike. It's stiff in the bb and holds speed real well. The front end of this era S5 is on the weaker side, the new one is supposedly much stiffer. Lots of options for aero bikes. Just rode a Madone 6 series last November in CA, kinda thinking next bike I'll go back to regular tube shapes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com