First modern road bike: 2012 Allez Elite

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

m3ta1head

by m3ta1head

Just purchased this gorgeous Allez about a month ago, and it's been an absolute pleasure to ride so far. The ride is a bit stiff and harsh over rough pavement, but that's a small price to pay for such an agile, competent frame that inspires absolute confidence, especially when cornering and on descents. Have already started shedding the grams with a new wheelset, tires, and lightweight tubes. She weighs in at approx 8.5kg (including bottle cages, pedals). Dropped roughly a kilo off the stock weight with the new wheel/tire combo, and I've definitely noticed that difference, especially while climbing. Where do you guys reckon is the next area I should start trying to drop weight-bars/stem/seat post? I weigh 58kg, don't think I can shave anymore off myself :lol: Any other advice would be appreciated!

click for high res

click for high res

click for high res

Cheers from SoCal :beerchug:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:welcome:

Really nice looking, clean ride! The next place to work on would be the levers, crankset and brakes. Those levers are both MUCH heavier than other options like 6700 or 7900 for around $200. For cranks, a SRAM Red or Force GXP crank and BB should net some solid savings for under $200. CNC brakes from Planet X would also save you a ton for about $100.

Also, you could save a few cheap grams by taking off those stickers!

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

m3ta1head

by m3ta1head

btompkins0112 wrote::welcome:

Really nice looking, clean ride! The next place to work on would be the levers, crankset and brakes. Those levers are both MUCH heavier than other options like 6700 or 7900 for around $200. For cranks, a SRAM Red or Force GXP crank and BB should net some solid savings for under $200. CNC brakes from Planet X would also save you a ton for about $100.

Also, you could save a few cheap grams by taking off those stickers!

:beerchug:

Appreciate the tips! I have been eyeing SRAM Red cranks, 10spd has fallen drastically in price since the 11spd came out. I want to switch to compact chainrings for mountain climbs, so that may be my next upgrade. As for levers, are the 4600 really that heavy? I wouldn't mind swapping them out for some 6700s for the neatly routed shifter cables. Or perhaps I should go with SRAM everything? :noidea: PlanetX brakes looks good, definitely going to add those to the upgrade list as well.

CBJ

by CBJ

25c tires with a little lower air pressure helps smooth any ride.

Bike looks great!

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

You can go all Rival with a Red crank for the best bang for your buck......the 4600 levers are SOOOOO heavy. One lever weighs as much as 2 DA 9000 levers.

m3ta1head

by m3ta1head

Few updated pics:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I don't like most things Specialized ... except the Allez.

That is quite a 'performance' type set-up you have there; just like a pro would ride. So, please don't say you are some middle aged guy with a pot belly.

m3ta1head

by m3ta1head

Valbrona wrote:I don't like most things Specialized ... except the Allez.

That is quite a 'performance' type set-up you have there; just like a pro would ride. So, please don't say you are some middle aged guy with a pot belly.

:lol:

Thankfully, I am only in my 20s and under 60 kilos. :thumbup:

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Nice to see the latter pictures have the chain on the correct cogs ;) really nice pictures, and the ride looks sweet!

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

That is looking quite nice! I ride a 2012 Allez myself, the OSBB Frameset version, and I love it. Definitely get the 6700 shifters if you can, they'll match the cranks, make the bike look slick, and weigh much less! Also, the seat post is a boat anchor.. as is the saddle. The ride is much more compliant with a carbon post (I am running a Ritchey one, its great!), although for comfort a seat is definitely your call.

Good luck!!

bananasbrah

by bananasbrah

:up:

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

+1 on ditching the seatpost. It's hard to tell from the pics, but if you do a bit of research, you might be able to find a saddle that would allow you to use a straight seatpost. There are some light and cheap options, like the KCNC ti pro lite or something like that.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

m3ta1head

by m3ta1head

Just finished installing new gruppo (full 6700), only thing missing from this photo is the 3T Dorico Team seatpost (currently on the way). With the stock seatpost it's just over 7.9kg (no pedals). Will take better pics soon

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Now THAT looks right.....something about going all the way with the grouppo (matching wheels, crank, etc.) just looks so RIGHT to me. :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

very nice :) Here I'd opt for Chorus or even Centaur (both are cheaper here than Ultegra, and I'm used to Campag)

With a new fork, you can easily drop another 110-120 grams, I'm sure :) Have you considered red chainring bolts or outer cables? :)

I love the setup (saddle to bar drop). Clearly indicates that you have the right size for your height. Keep us updated.