HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Custom Steel on the way
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:07 am 

Still finalising details with the builder, but looking at a 44mm head tube to add a bit of stiffness to a big frame.
Probably going with Columbus Spirit tubing and an Enve tapered fork, as I am really happy with the fork on my Parlee Z5.
I will be using a Chris King BB, and a set of hand built wheels with Chris King hubs and HPlus Son TB14 rims.

Stem, bars and seatpost are undecided, but thinking of either going with 3T that I have, or Thompson.
Group set is undecided at present

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Custom Steel on the way
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:07 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:17 pm 

Very cool. Might I ask who the builder is?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 am 

jbaillie wrote:
Very cool. Might I ask who the builder is?

+1
also, have a look at the columbus fork's i think they are making some nice products at the moment and on top of that i suppose it doesn't hurt to stand out from the the enve masses.

how much is this going to be different from your older steel bike, geometry wise ?

thanks mick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:30 am 

I think Columbus Spirit is a very good choice. I've got two frames in Spirit and have had most steel iterations from Columbus and Reynolds; and Spirit is my favourite. Looking forward to the build. The Enve fork (painted) will also go well with a build like this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:22 am 

@ jbailie - the builder is Chris Jones, he apprenticed with Chris DeKerf in Canada but now owns a bike shop in Bayswater, Western Australia. He only builds a few bikes a year when he has time from running his busy workshop, so this will be pretty exclusive. I have a set of hand built wheels from Chris that will go on the bike. It is not often that you will get a set of hand built wheels from your frame builder so from my perspective it will make the total package even more unique.

@ michel2 - the geo will be quite different from my old steel bike. This will be similar geometry to my Parlee Z5, and will be TIG welded instead of lugged. The seat tube will be 0.5 deg steeper to get my saddle more mid rail. I considered the Columbus fork, but going with the Enve as we have decided on a 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 tapered fork.

@ KB - thanks for the feedback on the tubing. It is always hard to make a choice with so many options.

I'm going with the same colour as my old bike as it will tie in with the pewter Chris King hubs and BB, and I really liked the colour.
For now most parts will be transferred over, but I will probably go with a Thompson Masterpiece seatpost and X2 stem.

My old bike

Similar frame to what I'm planning

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:01 pm 

So jelly, I've wanted one of Chris' frames for a looonnggggg time. I'll have to bother him for one again....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:26 pm 

Custom steel is great. I like the look of the tapered headtube. Flows better. Still plenty stiff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 pm 

@ g-doraz - it takes a while, It has been 7 months since I first talked to him about it, probably at least 2 more till the frame is built.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:34 pm 

needs steeper seat tube & setback seatpost. Steeper seat tube should allow you shorter stays and still leave you mudguard clearance. Also needs a lever top tube.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am 

@DJT21 - the seat tube is 0.5 deg steeper than on my Parlee so that I get my saddle mid rail. I'm keeping the geometry as close as possible to that of my Parlee Z5 as it rides and handles very well. This is the same reason I have gone with the 44mm head tube and tapered fork. This is a contemporary build, TIG welded not lugged so the way the bike will ride and handle is my main priority, not a traditional look.
I have a Colnago Dream that I'm building up which satisfies the "traditional" look with a horizontal top tube.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am