Hello hello!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dgaddis12

by dgaddis12

Hi folks, I’m new to the forum and looking forward to contributing!

My name is Dustin, I live in the Central Savannah River Area (aka Augusta, GA & North Augusta, SC area) and mostly ride MTBs. I do have a ‘roadie’ as well, but it’s a tool used for commuting and occasional longer road/gravel rides. My day job is engineering, mostly in the chemical and manufacturing industries doing piping design and analysis. I build wheels part time. I’m also a writer for Singletracks.com, though I’m stepping down from that soon. I’ve got a few articles/reviews I need to wrap up then I wont be taking on any more, I’m just too busy lately.

As for my bikes, I have three ‘real’ bikes. My roadie is a ’14 Raleigh Clubman. Cheap heavy steel. It’s got a rack, fenders, dynamo lighting, and the stock 10spd Tiagra drivetrain. It’s a beast of burden for sure…somewhere around 25-26lbs. Great training tool though, and I don’t mind it sitting outside locked to a rack in the rain, and I wouldn’t be heartbroken if it were stolen. Custom wheels of course. Inexpensive reliable set up, 105 rear hub, Biologic dynamo front, Pacenti SL23 rims, tubeless Hutchinson Secteurs tires.

(older pic, but it’s still more or less the same)

My main MTB is a singlespeed Vassago Jabberwocky. Steel frame, rigid White Brothers carbon fork. Thomson cockpit and ti bars. Fancy carbon wheels using the Nox Composites XCR-29 rims, Hope hubs, Revolution spokes all around. Gold hubs and nipples. Bike weighs in right at 24lbs I believe. Not all that light, but it fits me like a glove and I absolutely love how it rides. If the house was on fire and I could only save one bike, it’d be this one.

I also have a geared MTB, an On-One Scandal. Alloy frame, rigid Syncros carbon fork (had a squishy fork but I broke it and didn’t want to spend the $$ to get it fixed, got this fork for free from a friend), old school 3x9 mostly Shimano XT drivetrain. I’m using SRAM Attack grip shifters. I’d love to upgrade to a newer drivetrain, but this one still works so well and it just wont die! American Classic hubs and Stan’s Crest rims make for a very light (but a little flexy) set of wheels. This bike weighs in at 23lbs. I hardly ever ride it though, I much prefer the singlespeed. But for long rides, especially in the mountains, I like gears. I’ll be doing ORAMM in a few weeks and it’ll be on the Scandal.

I also have an Eastern BMX from my college days, I don’t really ride it anymore other than screwing around in the driveway here and there. And I’ve got a Rollfast cruiser from the 70’s I bought for $5 at a yardsale when I was in middle school. It’s a piece, but it’s fun.

(back in the day)

My next bike will be a nice “road” bike. I’m going to have Nate at Zukas Cycles build me a nice custom road/cross bike. Roadish geometry, but room to clear 40mm tires. I’ll have two sets of wheels for it, one with skinny tires for pavement duty and one with big tires for gravel/mixed surface rides. Right now I’m thinking Ultegra Di2 and hydro discs…but we’ll see. May go mechanical. The wife has been out of work for a few months while finishing up her master’s degree, but she’s about to start working again and once she does I’ll get my deposit put in for the frame. I’m super stoked on this, Nate is a local and friend, and he does some incredible work, and he’s an incredibly strong rider to boot. Can’t wait to have him build me a bike!

Alright…that’s it for now, fire away with any questions.

One last pic from a great ride this weekend.

Southern Wheelworks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

welcome indeed, i love the 'industrial's look of the scandal heart many good things about the on-one bikes's
indeed keep us posted on your new build (-:

dgaddis12

by dgaddis12

I will certainly keep everyone posted on the new build, though it will be a while. For the past few years my wife was working part time while going to graduate school full time, and the last few months she wasn't working at all while finishing up, studying for her certification exam, and job hunting. So while all that was going on I've been holding out any new purchases. But she's found a job that she's really excited about, takes her certification exam on Monday and then will start as soon as her license shows up. Once she's working our income will basically double, so the 'fun money' fund will grow a good bit.

Once I get the deposit in with Nate, I'll have to wait a while. Last time I chatted with him his lead time was around 7 or 8 months, by the time I actually get him a check it may be longer. Which is cool, gives me plenty of time to decide exactly what I want and sort out the details.

I recently had a chance to review the Coffee Grinder bike from Ride Endpoint and it was a great chance to ride something similar to what I want Nate to build me. I did a few shorter rides with it and an overnight bikepacking ride that included plenty of pacement and some singletrack. Road-ish bike that you can go adventuring on. Leared a few things with this one that I'll make sure to incorporate on my own bike, like using a brazed on FD mount so the seat tube bottle can be placed lower on the tube, to make room for a frame bag if I want to use one, as well as improved tire clearance. This bike had room for 40's at both stays, but the FD clamp was the limiting factor. I used some tubeless 33mm Small Block 8's, and they worked okay, but for offroad use bigger would definetly be better.

Southern Wheelworks

dgaddis12

by dgaddis12

michel2 wrote:i love the 'industrial's look of the scandal heart many good things about the on-one bikes's

Yeah I like the look too. Mine was black, but the paint was pretty aweful, really rough to the touch. So I stripped it down to the bare alloy and had it sprayed with a matte urethane clearcoat to keep corrosion at bay.

It's a nice frame though, for the price. Rides reasonably comfortable, is stiff enough, and handles predictably. No complaints.
Southern Wheelworks