DOUG's "it's not a Cannondale" S-Works SL6 Disc build (6.7kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DOUG

by DOUG

Everyone else was doing it and I just wanted to be popular.

Target weight will probably be around 6.6kg-6.7kg (56cm frame). A bit heavier than my SuperSix but then whats a few hundred grams between freinds?
Last edited by DOUG on Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

DOUG

by DOUG

Managed to pick up a lightly used S-Works Powercrank complete with chainrings for a bargain. Only 6months old but I think its spent almost 100% of its life on a trainer in ERG mode, the small ring doesnt look like its even had a chain touch it! :lol: Has a couple of minor scuff marks from heal rub but whatever, its barely noticable. And lets face it, its only going to get scuffed up due to my sloppy pedalling form anyway.

Not the lightest though. I think my SiSl2 crankset with a 4iiii PM (Left Side only) was around 150g lighter. It's ok, it's totally fine, why am I crying?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robbosmans

by robbosmans

DOUG wrote:Managed to pick up a lightly used S-Works Powercrank complete with chainrings for a bargain. Only 6months old but I think its spent almost 100% of its life on a trainer in ERG mode, the small ring doesnt look like its even had a chain touch it! :lol: Has a couple of minor scuff marks from heal rub but whatever, its barely noticable. And lets face it, its only going to get scuffed up due to my sloppy pedalling form anyway.

Not the lightest though. I think my SiSl2 crankset with a 4iiii PM (Left Side only) was around 150g lighter. It's ok, it's totally fine, why am I crying?

Maybe some lighter chainrings?

DOUG

by DOUG

I think the Praxis rings are already reasonably light. The SiSL2 crankset is exceptionally light when paired with the 10 arm Spidering, I've been spoiled!

This will probably end up as my race bike as well so don't really want to compromise shift quality for a small weight saving. I'm just going to live with it for the time being.

DOUG

by DOUG

Decided to try the S-Works Aerofly II bars, I wanted to go slightly narrower than usual but the 40cm ones don't appear to be in stock anywhere so had to stick with the 42cm.

I like the drop on the S-Works, it's compact but not too compact so hopefully won't feel too different to a traditional bend which is normally my preference. They're not the lightest of course but for an Aero style bar they aren't too bad at all. They also look great which counts for plenty IMO Image

DOUG

by DOUG

Going to take the Extralite stem off my SuperSix for this build so bought the Alpitude combo mount to go with it. I just couldn't get past the overly busy aesthetic of the Extralite out front mount and the fact that it doesn't have the ability to run a light mounted underneath was deal breaker for me (need to run lights for early starts and winter commutes). This is lighter anyway, looks exceptionally well made and has a very minimalist design which should suit this build nicely.

Only 17g all up so a nice weight saving over my current K-Edge combo mount.

Getting closer to getting this built now. Only a couple of bits and pieces due to come in early next week and I should be able to put everything together.

tomsneo

by tomsneo

Congrats on your new build! can't wait to see the finished product
Masi 3VC SL
S-Works SL7
Supersix Evo HM Black INC

DOUG

by DOUG

Ok finally got this thing built up. Ran into trouble right near the end of the build because I didn't have the right compression olives and fittings for the brake lines and of course it was late afternoon so all the bike shops in the area had just closed! Anyway went down first thing in the morning the next day and got it built up yesterday morning and still had time to get out for a ride in the afternoon

All in it tips the scales at 6.7kg including pedals, Garmin mount etc. Very pleased with that. Frame weight was 934 inc. the hanger and Ceramic Speed BB so probably around the low 800g mark which is impressive for a 56cm in white. In terms of the way it rides? Its miles ahead of my SuperSix. It gives up nothing in compliance/comfort compared to the Cannondale yet the BB and rear triangle are so much stiffer. As a result, out of the saddle efforts and sprints it feels much more lively and probably handles slightly better than the SS thanks to the increased lateral stiffness. The SS is not a noodle by any means and it handles like its on rails but the Tarmac betters it in every way IMO.

Im really liking the Aerofly bars. The drops are super comfortable with plenty of wrist clearance. The bend is just right, not too compact but also not as deep as a traditional bend. They're also quite a bit stiffer than the 3T Tornova bars I was running previously.

Still getting the fit dialled and need to trim the steerer a bit more once Im 100% happy with the position but other than that its pretty much done. Not much I want to change at this point, just keen to get out there and ride the thing. I can now see why they are such a popular race bike, I have loved every minute of my SuperSix but I cant see myself going back to it after riding the Tarmac.

DOUG

by DOUG

Build list is as below, most of the weights I measured myself but I missed a few like the fork, headset and the seatpost so just nicked them from other build lists :lol: Anyway it came out pretty well spot on what I measured for the completed build so thats good enough for me!

Can save a bit of weight by going with a Darimo seatpost and theres 20g or so to save on thru axles. The ones supplied with the frame are impressively light though! Some lighter chain rings as mentined above could be on the cards in the future but I'm thinking of selling the Aeroad and racing this one instead so might stick with the Praxis chainrings for now.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

DOUG!? What is going on? You are a Cannondale guy. Now you are making me want a Tarmac.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

DOUG

by DOUG

Haha I know I know Ive been a C'Dale fan for many years now but as much as I have loved the SuperSix EVO the Tarmac is just that much better. Ive always kinda wanted an SL6 so when this frame came up I knew I had to jump on it. I think Ill still keep the EVO frame, I dont have a groupset for it but maybe Ill be inspired and turn it into something a bit different somewhere down the track.

DOUG

by DOUG

Wondering if anyone has run the little "cable transition" inserts for the Aerofly bars with a non-venge stem? They look great with the Venge stem but not sure they would sit flush with the Extralite stem I have on my build.

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

DOUG wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:18 am
Wondering if anyone has run the little "cable transition" inserts for the Aerofly bars with a non-venge stem? They look great with the Venge stem but not sure they would sit flush with the Extralite stem I have on my build.
I'm waiting on my cable transitions to arrive. I have the regular S-works SL stem so curious to find out how flush they will sit, but quick eyeball tells me they will not be sitting super flush with my stem.

My hunch is based on looking at where and how the stem clamps to the Aerofly II bars. On the Venge stem, the stem fully clamps to the gritty textured area end-to-end. My SL stem leaves a gap on both sides.

Judging from your one photo, if I squint your Extralite stem looks like it does a good job clamping the gritty area end-to-end so you may be in luck for achieving that flush look.

Nice build and photos btw. Your photography is very good. Kudos for doing valves up too. :)

DOUG

by DOUG

Cheers! I'll take some better photos with the proper camera (once I trim the steerer) without the saddlebag, bidons etc.

I actually went ahead and ordered some of those little plastic wedges to try out. They're only $15 so though it was worth giving ago. Fingers crossed they fit up nicely. I don't expect them to sit perfectly flush but if it's only a small gap I think they will look good

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

DOUG

by DOUG

Ok the little wedge things arrived and unfortunately theyr are not a good fit with the Extralite stem. They mostly cover up the cables from veiw but then there's this big gap betweent he plastic wedge and the stem that just looks dodgy to my eye. Will be leaving them off at this stage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com