6.5 kg Black-on-Black CAAD10 - Done: 03/19/2015

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

locktopus

by locktopus

So I recently won this frame on eBay (I'll get a better picture of it once it arrives)…

It's time to build a Black on Black Bike on a Budget (BoBBoB).
I've been riding a 2003 Trek 1000 (63 cm - with Sora & a triple up front) for quite some time and it's time to move onto something a little better. Auction said 2011 CAAD 10 frame.

Build List:
2011 Cannondale CAAD10 Frame (60 cm) - 1355g frame [with Headset, BB, RD hanger, cage bolts, seat post clamp. (est. 1218 g )]
2011 Cannondale CAAD10 Fork---------- 414 g uncut
Cannondale SiSL w/ 52/36 FSA Rings------ 609 g (have compact Spidering will weigh when swapped)
Kalloy Uno Superlite 120mm stem--------- 121 g
ControlTech Viento SC 40cm Handlebar---- 257 g
Fizik R3 Braided Saddle------------------ 160 g
Tuned S-Works Setback Seatpost--------- ~175 g
----------------------------------------------------------
Total Mass ---------------------------- 2991 g

For wheels I'm considering getting a set of Cosmic Elite's from eBay or getting some chinese carbon clinchers.

As I go through the build I'll update with weights. It most likely won't be too light, but I'll see what needs to be replaced to get me close to the 6.8 kg mark.

Would I be better served going for a NOS Ultegra 6700 build group (or SRAM Force)?
Last edited by locktopus on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

upside

by upside

You got a great deal on this bike.. if it was a 58, it was mine. Have fun with a great bike...

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Nice! Love the black. You'll dig the CAAD10, love mine.

May I suggest the Kalloy Uno ASA-105 stem. For about $50 you can have yourself a sub 100g stem. Just need to replace the bolts with Ti bolts.

More info in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=116669

J00P

by J00P

Congratulations with a nice frame!
If you want a light build, anything is better than shimano 105.
Look up some tables with a comparison of different groups e.g.
http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Componen ... /cc-8.aspx

Succes!

DanW

by DanW

That frame is a thing of beauty!

It deserves great attention to detail in the build IMO. You don't need to spend a lot to get a light and very robust bike but throwing on a few heavy bits can destroy the overall weight (assuming this is at least partially important for you)... equally being smart and hunting for those little nuggets like the Kalloy stem can really make a difference

Looking forward to seeing it built up! :)

locktopus

by locktopus

Wow! What a great resource! I can lose almost a pound going with Force over 105 (and almost half a pound over Ultegra).
Thanks J00P!

And thanks for the heads up on the stem too!

Guymk

by Guymk

I second J00P's comment. Perhaps look into the new Sram rival 22 groupset?

locktopus

by locktopus

I'm trying to find some weights on the Rival 22 parts before I buy it.

Edit: I found that the FD is 89 g (3 g more than 6800), RD is 180 g (13 g less than 6800) and that the brakes are 300 g (40 g less than 6800)
Source: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/The_ ... _4408.html

And it's all directly on the SRAM sight now… I'm an idiot. Shifters are 87 grams lighter. Cassette is about 50 g heavier.

I picked up a Hollowgram SL and so the BB30/BB24 factor doesn't play a part.

I'm leaning toward Ultegra right now (better brakes, better rear shifting, better price), but the no trim FD w/ Force/Rival would be nice.

NGMN

by NGMN

I would skip the mavic cosmics. They are pretty heavy and not actually that aero based on one of the tour magazine tests. I'd either go with something built on kinlin xc279 rims, or maybe a shimano c24 wheel.

Personally, if I were on a budget, I'd go 10 speed. You should be able to get a better bang for your buck, but if you ride this bike for the same amount of time as your trek, it might be worth starting with 11 speed.

Finally, matching groups and parts although looks nice, is often the enemy of light on a budget. The kalloy stem someone mentioned, Planet X brakes, titanium skewers, all water down the consistency of a bike but they are all light pieces that perform well.

Can't wait to see what you decide and the finished product.

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

it's always a challenge to do a budget build if you're a cycling weenie, but still a great and interesting project.

i think i'd focus on the wheels and the groupset. the hint with the 10sp. groupsets was a good one i believe. i wouldn't go for an 11sp. groupset if i were on a budget build. as for function and weight, i think ultegra-level or campy centaur (my choice) should be good: great function, acceptable weight and price. maybe you can find a bargain for an older version and a lighter (carbon) crankset somewhere?! there should be some weenies selling their 10sp. gear for 11sp. stuff...

as for the other components (seatpost, stem and bar), i think i would try to find components which match the look of the frame: matte black with glossy black decals. you already mentioned fizik, kalloy uno grade 3, 3t arx team had a black series stem (not sure if there was matching bar and seatpost). other choices include deda superleggero stem (bar and seatpost?), ritchey is worth looking at (the superlogic components would match perfectly but those are carbon and therefore definitely not budget; WCS aluminium without logos maybe?), germany-based syntace has some very good components i can highly recommend (not budget though), kcnc maybe, or easton's EA70 series could also be worth looking at.

:smartass: i think my choices would be: kalloy uno (or easton), campagnolo centaur groupset (maybe with a light (carbon?) crankset), and a good and light wheelset. i can recommend campagnolo's zonda wheelset (clincher version; 2-way-fit isn't necessary; those wheels are light (1550g), "affordable", and very good). i believe the build would be bad-ass!!!

man, i'm digging deep into your build here... :lol:

enjoy your build !!! :beerchug:
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

J00P

by J00P

Many of the suggestions above are applied my build! have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120220&start=0
I love campagnolo, think campagnolo shifters are much more ergonomical than the shinano stuff.

mountainlion

by mountainlion

Nice frame. You can get 10 speed record and chorus for a relative bargain on the used market BTW I would do campy shimano SRAM in that order, shimano is heaviest but always works great.

locktopus

by locktopus

Got fit today using the Guru Dynamic Fit Unit (version 2.0) and quickly ordered the Kalloy stem (new ASA-105 model in 120 mm) and a 400 mm wide Control Tech Viento SC handle bar (235g for the 420 mm model)! 335 g cockpit for $50!

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

how about the rest of the components? any thoughts on campy 10sp groupsets (centaur, chorus, maybe used) and the zonda wheelset?
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

locktopus

by locktopus

I started looking at the component groups you've suggested. I'm just looking for a good price (I missed out on a used SR11 group which ended up going for ~$900). I can get SRAM and Shimano cheaper than Campagnolo. There's one seller with the new Rival 22 at about $750, but new 6800 I can get for about the same price. Force is about $200 more. I find the allure of Campy nearly impossible to resist, so I'm going to keep looking around. I'm not too worried about a carbon vs. alloy crank. I've got a Hollowgram on the way.

For wheels I've been looking at the Soul 2.0 and the Blackest Race 14 from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. There's also carbon clinchers. There are a few people local to me with some Easton EA 90 SLX wheels (though I've read about spoke problems on the earlier models).

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com