6.5 kg Black-on-Black CAAD10 - Done: 03/19/2015

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

if you really are into campy, then go for it if you can afford the extra price tag... and match the campy groupset with a campy wheelset. you won't regret! depending on your budget, you can choose between zonda, eurus or shamal...

i believe "budget" is always something quite personal. a hollowgram crankset is definitely something that i would not consider "budget". but hey, it is a MUST on a c'dale! :thumbup:
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

locktopus

by locktopus

The Hollowgram is definitely one of those things that is pushing me to the upper limit of my budget threshold (looking to stay under 2k, but it looks like I'm heading for 2.5k), but I got a smoking good deal on it ($300 w/ two sets of spiders and chainrings).

I'm looking at a lot of second hand parts or deep discount OEM parts to meet that threshold. I've found a couple more sets of ~1500g wheels that will work for me (from Canadian sellers – trying to avoid import fees).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

but then again, there simply is no other crankset for a c'dale than a hollowgram. this is the finest crankset available, "better" than many carbon fibre cranksets. if it was available for other BBs than BB30, i would ride it too... btw, i find it quite beautiful too, more than most of the carbon fibre cranksets available.

living in europe, i can only guess that campy is more expensive in north america. even more so when you have to add import tax. but as far as i remember, import tax/duties in canada were reasonable (if you import smth to europe from a non-EU-country, you have to pay customs duties and VAT, which quickly sums up to +25% in Austria). on a sidenote, i spent 4 months in toronto, ON, during an exchange semester at university. loved every aspect of it, canada's a great place!

i once attempted a budget MTB build. i made a great bargain on the frame (commencal vip nuts 3) and fork. also the crankset and stem/bar/seatpost were cheap. i decided to go for an sram-group-build using sram group & disc brakes, rock shox fork, and truvativ parts. i was on a good way to reach my budget goal until i had to decide for a wheelset. to make a long story short, the deeper i digged, the more i had to accept that budget wasn't good for what i really wanted. so i stretched my budget but ended up with the bike i wanted. not sure if that is the same with you, but hey, you only live once. if you can afford it, go for what you really want instead sticking to your own budget goal. you will be happy every time you ride you bike, everytime you look at it. if you compromise for budget, chances are you will end up thinking, "man, i wish i had bought this and that"...

if you opt for a new centaur groupset, i think the price would be reasonable. the same goes for a used 10sp chorus. record or super record are definitely nice, but not necessary. as for the wheelset, i like how the zondas look like. and the hubs/bearings are simply great.

anyway, i hope you can reach both your goal and your dream build! :beerchug:

locktopus

by locktopus

I'm still looking out for a good price on a group set. Was watching an SR11 group on eBay the other day, got side tracked only to see that it sold for ~$720. :evil:

In other news, my bars came in. 40 cm Control Tech Viento SC - 258 g (over 10% higher than the quoted mass for the 42 cm version)

Also, measured the mass of the frame and fork.

Fork: 414 g (including crown race)
Frame: 1355 g (including headset bearings (~50 g), BB bearings (~50 g), seat tube collar (14 g), bottle cage bolts (12 g), derailleur hanger (?? g) and some zip ties)

VERY HAPPY with this! Puts a stripped frame at ~1200 g. :D

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

any news?

locktopus

by locktopus

In the middle of some home renos right now so spending has been put on hold. :(

Still looking for a good deal on a group set. Leaning back towards 6800.

cmdr199212

by cmdr199212

If you can get a good deal on some EA90SLX wheels, I'd say go for it, especially if they are the 2014 models. I'm going to send my Easton R4SL hubs in to get them laced to some of the 2014 rims, which come tubeless compatible.

locktopus

by locktopus

Thanks cmdd. I've been looking at those for sue. I know there were spoke issues with the early ones, but the new ones look really nice.

(In light of renovations I did manage to buy a Cannondale Spidering. Now I have every chain set option (compact, mid-compact and standard))

locktopus

by locktopus

Update:

Picking up new 11 speed 105 group at the end of this week/early next week (from a newer local supplier).
50/34 Spidering came in just last week.
Easton EA70s (~1600 g)

I'm looking at about 16.5 lbs with nothing too crazy and staying on budget.

I've updated some weights on the first post.

locktopus

by locktopus

Screw budgets.

Found a lightly used SRAM Red groupset for a reasonable price. Also found some Carbon wheels on DT240 hubs for a reasonable price.

So now the build list is as follows:

2011 Cannondale CAAD10 Frame (60 cm) -------- 1355g [with Headset, BB, RD hanger, cage bolts, seat post clamp. (frame est. 1218 g )]
2011 Cannondale CAAD10 Fork ----------------- 414 g (uncut)

Kalloy Uno ASA105 120mm stem ---------------- 121 g
ControlTech Viento SC 40cm Handlebar ----------- 257 g
Lizard Skins 3.2 mm DSP Tape -------------------- 61 g (with bar plugs)
Fizik Antares R3 Braided Saddle ------------------ 160 g
eBay carbon setback seatpost ------------------- ~153 g

SRAM Red Exogram BB30 Compact Crank ----------- 525 g
SRAM Red Yaw FD ------------------------------- 83 g (w/ chain catcher)
SRAM Red Yaw Shifters -------------------------- 280 g
SRAM Red Aeroglide RD ------------------------- 146 g
SRAM Red Aerolink Brakes ----------------------- 247 g
SRAM Red XG 1090 11-26T Cassette -------------- 150 g
KMC X10SL ----------------------------------- ~223 g
Aican Superlight Bungarus ----------------------- ~83 g

Wheels/Tires/Skewers ----------------- estimated 2000 g

Arundel Mandible Cages (2) ----------------------- 57 g
Shimano 105 5800 SPD SL Pedals ----------------- 247 g
----------------------------------------------------------
Total Mass ----------------------------------- 6593 g (14.50 lb)

I think that's everything.
I should have it all in by the end of January, and just need to put it together. :)

I have an extra GXP Red crankset laying around and now a SiSL with 3 sets of rings. Anyone need something?
5800 11 speed? :)

As for the budget... I don't want to add everything up. :p

Blackinc10

by Blackinc10

Hi just new in this forum. We have the same frame and i have a hollowgram sl installed in mine. Was wondering if you'll let go of your spidering? Im in the philippines, if you're in the US, i got friends there to transact for me. PM function is not yet available. Thanks!

locktopus

by locktopus

Seatpost came in today. Quoted at 153 g. Measured at 112 g.

Here's an awful pic in my basement partially built.

Waiting on my wheels and brake cables.

CaptainP

by CaptainP

*All internet fitting suggestions aside* Looks like it would suit the bars better if you turn them a bit down and put the shifters up higher.

locktopus

by locktopus

Thanks Captain. That has crossed my mind. I haven't had a chance to really check the fit, I just threw it all together on the stand. I'll be more in depth with my fit alignment when I can get it on the ground.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CaptainP

by CaptainP

locktopus wrote:Thanks Captain. That has crossed my mind. I haven't had a chance to really check the fit, I just threw it all together on the stand. I'll be more in depth with my fit alignment when I can get it on the ground.

It's just the bottom of the bars that looks a little too much tilted up. Nice build btw!