'13/'16 Supersix Evo Black-Inc (5.42kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TheDoc

by TheDoc

@gfeldy where did you find the SiSl2 stages crank? Was looking to get one few months back but was pretty bummed to find out stages stopped making them anymore. Ended up getting one mated to a Si arm instead

crouchingpig

by crouchingpig

What size is your Evo 573?
I have the same bike in a 54, stock wheels currently. Weighs in around the 7,2kg mark.

I have the top cap expander you recommended, some lightweight skewers, and some carbon bars & lightweight tape on order. Really wish I could find the money in the wallet for some SLR's! Have yours worn the Exalith brake surface at all?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gfeldy

by gfeldy

TheDoc wrote:@gfeldy where did you find the SiSl2 stages crank? Was looking to get one few months back but was pretty bummed to find out stages stopped making them anymore. Ended up getting one mated to a Si arm instead

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=127297

NP Bikeshop in Newburry Park CA. Ask for Ben.
~GFeldy~
S Works Tarmac w/ EPS
S Works Epic HT Blurple tuned
Kitsbow
S Works Epic Blurple tuned - Sold :doh:
FS-i - Sold
Scalpel custom - Sold
EVO - Sold

by 573

I saw your build gfeldy - bike looks great, glad I inspired you! :D

crouchingpig wrote:What size is your Evo 573?
I have the same bike in a 54, stock wheels currently. Weighs in around the 7,2kg mark.

I have the top cap expander you recommended, some lightweight skewers, and some carbon bars & lightweight tape on order. Really wish I could find the money in the wallet for some SLR's! Have yours worn the Exalith brake surface at all?

Mine's also a 54. No they haven't worn the Exalith surface. I ride a different bike in the wet weather though and have heard the Exalith wears much quicker in the wet.

by 573

Winter's finally over in the UK, so the Evo had come out of hibernation. God it's fast compared to my winter bike. 8)

...this week I'm off to Malaga for a week's hilly training camp in the sunshine. Can't wait. :D

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's a good lookin' bike. Have two friends with the same bike in the same size but theirs don't look nearly as good. Partly because of paint, partly because of setup. I will work on them to change a few things and use your bike as an example.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Nice bike - even better weight :)

by 573

The training camp in Malaga was amazing - there's some really nice riding out there. Unfortunately on the 2nd to last day, I took a corner too fast while descending from Penas Blancas and came off the road, hitting the rock face. I was pretty lucky to only get minor injuries as I cartwheeled right over. I split my helmet but escaped with just cuts and bruises. The bike escaped relatively unscathed too considering the impact. The worst visible damage initially was the rear wheel rim.

On returning back to the UK from Spain, I sent the wheel off to the Mavic repair facility in France. With the bike off the road, I decided to do a bit of pre-summer tweaking.

First off, I'd realised just how much unused seatpost I had sat inside the frame. Whereas there was quite a lot showing on the Trek, I moved the 3T to the Evo and due to the straight top tube, much more post was hidden.

..so I chopped off a conservative amount from the end, saving 21g

I put a temporary wheel on the Evo and ordered a few supplies in...

...and then topped up my energy tanks to tackle the job.

I'm very keen for this not to become a slam v spacers or classic v compact debate, but I've been recently re-considering my position and thought I could get a better fit with less spacers and a compact bar. I do like the Rotundos, but with the SRAM levers, the hoods end up at a weird place for my hands due to the angle of the top part of the bar's bend. So I ordered some Ergonova Ltds to try out. I went for a 40cm v the 42cm that the Rotundas are in a bid to get my arms a bit more tucked in too. I was very pleasantly surprised by the weight of 168g against the 188g of the Rotundo Ltds.

Ergonovas on, initially with the Cannondale conical spacer retained. Internal routing yet to be battled...

These are the 2013 SRAM Red hoods that the bike came with. They got scuffed in the crash.

...however I've always preferred the earlier SRAM hoods, so ordered those to replace them. Nice to see a small weight saving too.

I rode it around for a while like this, with no cables attached and soon realised I'd be better with the stem lowered. I tried various sized spacers but in the end ended up with none.

With the stem lowered I could chop the fork steerer some more.

...and lose the spacer that had been on there.

Now to cable it up. What a pain it was getting the internally routed brake cable through the frame. In the end the cotton and vacuum cleaner trick worked though.

I was annoyed to find that while testing the bike with the cables off, the brake clamp bolts had vibrated off and I'd lost them. Replacements were ordered. Beware if you ever need these, the RRP on them is ludicrous at £26 (GBP) EACH!. I managed to shop around and get them a fair bit cheaper.

I've always used this Bontrager cage on the Evo, it's light and I had it already as I had a pair of them on the Trek at some point.

However, I've disliked the Bontrager branding and colour flashes while it's been on the Evo, so I sanded and re-lacquered it. I think it's too shiny though, so I'll probably re-do it with matte or satin lacquer.

Weight for interest is 27g:

Then the wheel arrived back from France. Mavic fitted a new rim, all new spokes and rebuilt the hub. I was pleased to see that the rim seems to be the new 2015 design that's deeper and more aero. The weight is still good for a clincher rear wheel too.

Tyre was my usual choice - Veloflex Open Corsa 23 @ 195g and tube was Vredestein latex @ 48g

Other changes while it's been in pieces, were to swap the rear cassette from the SRAM Red XG10-90 11-25, to another XG10-90, but an 11-26. I have weights somewhere and will dig them out, but the new cassette is 6 or so grams heavier if my memory serves me correctly. I also swapped the SRAM chain for a KMC X10SL in silver. I fitted the newly stripped cage and also took 2 of the 3 Mavic stickers off each side of each rim for aesthetic reasons.

After a quick ride, I can report the new position is great and the bike feels super fast after my Trek which I've been riding while it's been broken. Weight is now 6.23kg although I still have to tape the bars.

Alfie22

by Alfie22

Nice bike!

Does the earlier SRAM hoods fit right on the new levers?

bencolem

by bencolem

Nice thread, get a red chainset on there!

by 573

Some of the locators on the hoods are in slightly different places, you can persuade them though!

I thought of putting a red chainset on, but am going for a Hollowgram instead. :D

F45

by F45

Yes I was going to point out that big chainring weighs north of 150 grams....

I just weighed some new BB30 Red 22 cranks at 358 grams without rings, bolts, or bearings. Large chainring was 152 grams.

by 573

Chainset that's on now (S951) is even heavier than a Red one. Have SiSL2 to go on. I think it should put me at around 6.0kg.

titchegg

by titchegg

What is your saddle to handlebar measurements on the 54? I'm thinking of getting the same model but can't work out whether to go 56 or 54... I ride a 56 Spec Tarmac, with a 57cm reach... would that be better suited to the 54?

titchegg

by titchegg

Ps - it looks fantastic!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com