The training camp in Malaga was amazing - there's some really nice riding out there. Unfortunately on the 2nd to last day, I took a corner too fast while descending from Penas Blancas and came off the road, hitting the rock face. I was pretty lucky to only get minor injuries as I cartwheeled right over. I split my helmet but escaped with just cuts and bruises. The bike escaped relatively unscathed too considering the impact. The worst visible damage initially was the rear wheel rim.
On returning back to the UK from Spain, I sent the wheel off to the Mavic repair facility in France. With the bike off the road, I decided to do a bit of pre-summer tweaking.
First off, I'd realised just how much unused seatpost I had sat inside the frame. Whereas there was quite a lot showing on the Trek, I moved the 3T to the Evo and due to the straight top tube, much more post was hidden.
..so I chopped off a conservative amount from the end, saving 21g
I put a temporary wheel on the Evo and ordered a few supplies in...
...and then topped up my energy tanks to tackle the job.
I'm very keen for this not to become a slam v spacers or classic v compact debate, but I've been recently re-considering my position and thought I could get a better fit with less spacers and a compact bar. I do like the Rotundos, but with the SRAM levers, the hoods end up at a weird place for my hands due to the angle of the top part of the bar's bend. So I ordered some Ergonova Ltds to try out. I went for a 40cm v the 42cm that the Rotundas are in a bid to get my arms a bit more tucked in too. I was very pleasantly surprised by the weight of 168g against the 188g of the Rotundo Ltds.
Ergonovas on, initially with the Cannondale conical spacer retained. Internal routing yet to be battled...
These are the 2013 SRAM Red hoods that the bike came with. They got scuffed in the crash.
...however I've always preferred the earlier SRAM hoods, so ordered those to replace them. Nice to see a small weight saving too.
I rode it around for a while like this, with no cables attached and soon realised I'd be better with the stem lowered. I tried various sized spacers but in the end ended up with none.
With the stem lowered I could chop the fork steerer some more.
...and lose the spacer that had been on there.
Now to cable it up. What a pain it was getting the internally routed brake cable through the frame. In the end the cotton and vacuum cleaner trick worked though.
I was annoyed to find that while testing the bike with the cables off, the brake clamp bolts had vibrated off and I'd lost them. Replacements were ordered. Beware if you ever need these, the RRP on them is ludicrous at £26 (GBP) EACH!. I managed to shop around and get them a fair bit cheaper.
I've always used this Bontrager cage on the Evo, it's light and I had it already as I had a pair of them on the Trek at some point.
However, I've disliked the Bontrager branding and colour flashes while it's been on the Evo, so I sanded and re-lacquered it. I think it's too shiny though, so I'll probably re-do it with matte or satin lacquer.
Weight for interest is 27g:
Then the wheel arrived back from France. Mavic fitted a new rim, all new spokes and rebuilt the hub. I was pleased to see that the rim seems to be the new 2015 design that's deeper and more aero. The weight is still good for a clincher rear wheel too.
Tyre was my usual choice - Veloflex Open Corsa 23 @ 195g and tube was Vredestein latex @ 48g
Other changes while it's been in pieces, were to swap the rear cassette from the SRAM Red XG10-90 11-25, to another XG10-90, but an 11-26. I have weights somewhere and will dig them out, but the new cassette is 6 or so grams heavier if my memory serves me correctly. I also swapped the SRAM chain for a KMC X10SL in silver. I fitted the newly stripped cage and also took 2 of the 3 Mavic stickers off each side of each rim for aesthetic reasons.
After a quick ride, I can report the new position is great and the bike feels super fast after my Trek which I've been riding while it's been broken. Weight is now 6.23kg although I still have to tape the bars.