Seven Evergreen SL (updated)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

solarider

by solarider

Coming soon!

I have now switched all of my bikes to disc braking and electronic shifting (cue the controversy!). I love riding the 2 Moots (Vamoots RD for the road and Psyclo X RSL for cyclocross), but for wet weather and rough road rides (pretty much everything here in Hong Kong until October!), I wanted something more versatile. Road geometry and handling, but with greater clearance for wider tires and mudguards.

I really liked the Genesis Equilibrium disc as a first taster of this type of bike. The ride was fantastic, but it was a little on the heavy side, the geometry wasn’t perfect for me and I missed some of the custom touches I wanted. And whilst I know steel will last well if cared for, titanium is perfect for this type of bike. Plus (and here’s the real reason!) I am a self-confessed bike tart! So, here’s the solution.

A Seven Evergreen SL. The Evergreen is marketed as a ‘gravel bike’, but I have had mine built with closer clearances and shorter stays. If I want a CX bike, I always have the Moots Psyclo X RSL. For fast road rides on sunny days, I have the Moots Vamoots RD. I was meant to use most of the parts off the Genesis, but in the end, that didn't really happen (oops!).

The frame has left Seven, and should be here on Wednesday.

The parts bucket is a mix of Record EPS, ENVE, Zipp and Chris King. The wheels are a Tune Kong (Campagnolo) rear hub and Son Delux Dynamo front hub laced with CX Rays to ENVE 29XC rims. I have these rims on my other bikes and they are great road rims. The tires are real fatties! Can’t wait to see how the comfort vs speed equation works out.

Stay tuned. There are some interesting design touches to come! I don't want to jump on the gravel bike band wagon, but so many of the features are perfect for a wet weather road bike without resorting to the compromised geometry of a CX bike. With the dynamo light, it will be perfect for those early mornings and late afternoons, and maybe even some credit card touring. Haven't been this excited about a new bike for a while!

Last edited by solarider on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

jrobart

by jrobart

Look forward to seeing the build as I love your other builds.

My Mudhoney SL was effectively built to Evergreen specs, and I absolutely love it. As much as my Axiom SL is a joy to ride, if I could only have one bike, it would be this Mudhoney (or Bertha as she is known). It truly is a do everyhing bike. Whether I have the Stan Iron Cross rims on with Clement Xplor Ush at a cushy 45 pounds of pressure or my HED Belgium + rims with 28mm Conti Gatorskins, there's no road or ride that this bike can't handle.

Glad to see that you're coming back to the Seven family!
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

That sure is a nice box of spare parts!

Have you ridden those Challenge strada biancha's before?

solarider

by solarider

No, first time on Strada Bianca tires. They have a really nice feel to them now I have finally mounted them. Everything you read about the mounting process is true however. They are very flat and have a shape very much like a deflated tubular on the rim before being inflated. As a result, combined with a very tight bead, they are difficult to get onto the rims. Once inflated though, they feel supple, the herringbone tread pattern looks good (like a Veloflex Corsa), the compound is nice and grippy and the shape is good.

The spares box is indeed a bit extravagent for a wet weather bike, but I need something to get me out there when it is not otherwise appealing. I know that the received wisdom is to have older, lower quality kit on a wet weather bike, but in many ways nicer kit is better suited to getting dirty. The finishes last better. The bearings are sealed better. And above all, it helps to motivate me to step out of the door and life is too short. I have had heavy old duffer winter bikes before. I no longer race, and I am not training for anything in particular other than enjoyment and maintaining fitness, so I don't need the rocket powered boost that you get going from a heavy winter bike to light summer bike. I just want to enjoy every ride as much as I possibly can.

Just checked Fedex and the frame has now arrived in Hong Kong. With a bit of luck, it might get delivered tomorrow, but definitely Wednesday at the latest. Now counting the minutes!
Last edited by solarider on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

russianbear

by russianbear

I can totally understand that. Life is too short! I'm looking forward to upgrading to record EPS next time I buy a drivetrain. What kind of weight are you expecting for the frame?

toiyuet

by toiyuet

To solarider, You talk about Fedex, does that mean the order wasn't place at Flying Ball?

solarider

by solarider

Yes, it was placed with Flying Ball, but Seven let me have the tracking number. I will pick the frame up from the shop.

Mr Lee is a legend, and one of the nicest people in the bike industry any where in the world that I have come across.

nachtjager

by nachtjager

Following this build eagerly! I'm saving for my frame, but have a similar parts bucket waiting in the wings. How short did you go with the chainstays? +/-420mm?

solarider

by solarider

Measurements according to the Seven frame specification:

Seat tube - 54.0cm
Top tube - 57.8cm
Head tube - 17.3cm
Head angle - 73.0deg
Seat angle - 73.0deg
BB drop - 6.9cm
Chainstay length - 42.9cm (shortest they could be to achieve the tyre width clearance)
Top tube slope - 5.0deg

It is on the Fedex van for delivery right now, so should have my hands on it today. My wife's plans for dinner out this evening might not happen!

kmc143

by kmc143

Subscribed to this post.

I've been eyeing a Seven Evergreen frame set for a while. Can't wait to see updates to your bike build.

solarider

by solarider

It has arrived!

Almost managed to build it in one sitting tonight, but not quite.

So here's some teasers.

Everything is on there now and it tips the scales at 17.9lbs for a fully loaded, dynamo hub'd large framed bike with mudguards and fat comfortable tires. Pretty pleased.

Should post some finished shots tomorrow evening.

solarider

by solarider

So, this is as far as I managed to get last night.

Fitting the internal electronic wiring and getting the brake and electronic cables neatly installed took a long time, but will be worth it in the long run. I think it looks pretty neat.

The front mudguard also took some installing, but again, I work on the principle of do it right, do it once.

I love the machining in the head tube. Looks even better on a 44mm tube than it used to on a 1, 1/8 tube.

Seven have done a fantastic job of fitting mudguard eyelets and dynamo wiring guides to the fork.

Should get it finished tonight, but frustratingly I am then away on business for 3 days. Grrrr!

solarider

by solarider

Done!

Still need to connect the dynamo, but otherwise, it is finished and set up. Not super light at 17.9lbs, but very light considering the specification (the dynamo setup adds 500gms and the tyres 300gms on their own) but perfect for the usage:

Frame - Seven Evergreen SL
Fork - ENVE Tapered CX (custom mudguard and dynamo fittings)
Aheadset - Chris King Inset 7
Chainset - Fulcrum R-Torque RS with Super Record chainrings (175mm, 50/34)
Bottom Bracket - Campagnolo Record
Pedals - Look Keo Carbon CroMo
Front Derailleur - Campagnolo Record EPS
Rear Derailleur - Campagnolo Record EPS
Shifters - Campagnolo Record EPS
Brakes - Avid BB7 Road (titanium bolts)
Chain - KMC X-11 SL
Cassette - Campagnolo Record (12/25)
Hubs - SON Delux/Tune Kong Disc (32 hole)
Rims - ENVE XC clincher (32 hole)
Spokes - Sapim CX Ray
Quick Release - DT RWS Ti
Tyres - Challenge Strada Bianca (30mm)
Mudguards - SKS Chromoplastic (45mm)
Stem - ENVE Carbon (120mm)
Bars - Zipp Service Course SL-80 (460mm)
Seatpost - ENVE Carbon (27.2mm, 20mm layback)
Saddle - Fizik Arione CX
Bottle Cages - King Titanium
Bar Tape - Deda Tape

It all went together really cleanly. Loving the integration of the cabling and lighting, and even the way in which the rear mudguard fits to the seatstay bridge. Can’t wait to ride it on Sunday when I get back from the work trip.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Stunning!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Nice bike.

I don' t know nothing about Campagnolo or EPS, but the wire of rear derailleur seems a little bit short.