Seven Evergreen SL (updated)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

solarider

by solarider

Thanks for the comments.

The rear mech wire is fine. Being electronic, it doesn't need a big loop like a mechanical cable. Plenty of slack as the mech moves.

First ride report coming up. Think I might need to move the light to the handlebars. The fork crown bolt is not quite long enough.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Are you going to hook up a rear light to the dynamo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

solarider

by solarider

No plans to. Want to keep the bike as clean as possible. I have the integrated Fizik rear light, and might augment with another battery rear light. Batteries tend to last longer at the back, and all I need is to be seen rather than see.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Supernova tail lights are pretty clean...

solarider

by solarider

Don't want a wire trailing from the front to the back of the frame. The front light is fairly neatly integrated. Plus the Supernova won't run from the Edelux 2 front.

Tried the bike for the first time after dark yesterday. The Edelux front is incredible! Even at low speeds. The beam is bright and consistent, it doesn't flicker and I genuinely don't notice any drag from the hub. If I lift the bike off the ground and spin the wheel there is a noticeable increase in drag when I switch the light on, but it isn't perceivable at all when riding.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I'd go with a Sparse rear light.

Nice build - must admit I'm tempted to put something like this together myself... but road discs, I just can't bring myself to do it!

Also look up the PDW Full Metal Fenders in the wider version - cleaner and longer than the ones you've used.

solarider

by solarider

Nice tip on the light, but it looks like they need quite a large battery pack. Have you used one?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

The Sparse light, or the other one above? The Sparse has no battery pack so in assume that's not what you mean...

solarider

by solarider

Ah yes, the Sparse is self contained. Nice. Looks on the large side though.........

Have you seen one in the flesh?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

solarider

by solarider

I have pushed the boat out and ordered a Dinotte 300R. Without resorting to a separate battery pack, it seems to be about as bright, well made and compact as rear lights get. The run time is pretty decent too.

I haven't been impressed by the Fizik integrated light at all. The angle is wrong (and you can't adjust it), and it really isn't very bright at all by today's standards. A very neat idea executed poorly.

The Sparse looks nice, but it is a bit bulky looking for my taste. I think that the front seems to be neater than the rear. Having been hugely impressed by the Edelux 2 at the front, I just can't see any other front light being as powerful or trouble free in comparison.

Just have to wait for the courier from the US to Hong Kong now. The frame arrived within 3 days, so fingers crossed. The lights come from about 50 miles away from Seven, so it should hopefully take about the same!

Slack

by Slack

Have you thought about one of these, I have one and it's insanely bright! Small, Li-ion battery rechargeable from micro usb.

http://www.use1.com/exposure-lights/cyc ... hts/tracer
http://www.use1.com/exposure-lights/cyc ... ghts/blaze

Wingnut

by Wingnut

solarider wrote:The Sparse looks nice, but it is a bit bulky looking for my taste. I think that the front seems to be neater than the rear. Having been hugely impressed by the Edelux 2 at the front, I just can't see any other front light being as powerful or trouble free in comparison.

I too have the Edelux which is a good light but according to various touring and bikepacking forums the Supernova lights are more compact and the front puts more light on the ground..

solarider

by solarider

First ride photos. Not a particularly sunny day in Hong Kong today, but 36 degrees and 100% humidity was enough without glaring sun.

So comfortable! Maybe I am getting old, but it feels just as fast as my race bike, with so much more comfort. Not sure how much is down to the 30mm tires (quite a bit I think), but they aren’t slow at all. Maybe a bit is down to the geometry, although it is not radically different in the angles vs my race bike, just a little bit longer in the stays. Maybe a bit is down to the 27.2 vs 30.9 seatpost, but I doubt that.

Whatever it is, this bike is everything I wanted. Able to cope with the rough stuff, perfect in wet weather (as you can see from today’s photos), agile as a road bike, and beautifully built. The Fulcrum chainset looks a bit wrong, but once the new 4 arm Campagnolo version gets released, it will get swapped out, so I am not about to change it now. The disc brakes have bedded in nicely and offer amazing and modulated, predictable stopping power. Don’t knock them until you have tried them!

I rode with the dynamo turned on for the whole ride and kept experimenting with turning it on and off, and there is absolutely no perceivable drag. With the neat integration that Seven managed on the forks, I am total convert. The DiNotte 300r arrives this week which will complete the 'get yourself seen' package nicely. No more excuses for SDNSY!!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryan0380

by ryan0380

Once again solarider you have built an exceptional bike, I have 'a do it all'/winter bike, it's a steel enigma but it's not a patch on this.