Cipollini RB800 Bardiani Team 2014...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

@ vlastrada & greenmachine

Any feedback on the frame? How does it ride? Comfort, liveliness, stifness?

vlastrada

by vlastrada

@ Kgt

So I am pretty stoked with the RB800, it's a solid, responsive frame with a good geometry; I think it's a better all-round bike than the RB1K.

The bike is very planted and reactive: when accelerating it surges with you in a prompt but linear and very stable way. Good kick, stable rear triangle.
What's unusual is that even accelerating on rough surfaces stability remains really high.
BB stiffness "feels" solid when climbing hard on the 53 and when accelerating from low speeds.
Compared to my race bike (SWorks Tarmac with same components and wheels) it is immensely more stable; the SWorks is
good but comparatively jittery and edgy (Frame size: Small; I am 177cm 62.5 kg), particularly on rougher surfaces.

I love climbing and the RB800 is very prompt and linear when you push out of the saddle, the headtube length (12 cm for S) + geo are sensible,
allowing a good climbing position. The weight distribution is good and the mass good enough (1185g in S +340g uncut fork).

Descending stability is excellent on fast bends and perhaps a bit less impressive in tight corners taken at high speed; a tiny bit of latent twitchiness maybe.
Nothing major though.

In terms of pure unadulterated road feel, I marginally prefer the RB1K, which feels wholesome i.e. it rides like a solid piece of carbon (in a really nice way). But ultimately i think the RB1K's geometry is a bit too extreme (HT at 9.7cm for XS and 10cm for S) and while climbing is all about the legs, the RB800 geometry allows for a more effective and planted seated climbing position (at least for me). With the RB1K i tended to get out of the saddle more.

The RB800 is awesome for any ride, the RB1K is stellar up to rolling/moderately hilly courses but less so for longer climbs and very long distances. (And it does put quite a bit of pressure on your lower back, even if you are flexible).

The negatives are:

BB386 BB WTF (tight tolerances with SRM cranks)
Overpriced though arguably not as much as Pinas & other mass produced offerings
(Cipo is hand made near Florence Italy, not in China; obviously labour and processes are much more expensive, no real economies of scale etc).
Seatmast clamping can crack even if torqued sensibly (See: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=122745&start=30 )
Cipollini does not supply torque instructions/info for seat clamp (double checked both Cipo, UK, US) which could be designed better anyway
Cipollini Italy will not reply to emails even when sensible questions are asked, in Italian (eg torque settings)
These guys seem to spend far too much money/attention on marketing, it pisses me off a bit

Hope this helps :) will add a couple of pics

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@vlastrada,
Nice review on the RB800. Looking forward to the additional pictures of your ride :D
Completely agree with what you say on the RB1000, especially on "pure unadulterated road feel", with negatives being the extreme geometry.

Cipollini Italy will not reply to emails even when sensible questions are asked, in Italian (eg torque settings)
These guys seem to spend far too much money/attention on marketing, it pisses me off a bit

>> Agree x1000
Wrote to them twice, both times without any reply. Would like to propose to Cipollini to completely remove the "Contacts" category in the website since they can't be bothered answering any questions, being general or technical questions related to Cipollini framesets/products.

micky

by micky

I was very close to purchase a 2nd hand RB1000 2 months ago and they were a bit slow at answering my email regarding the serial number, but at the end they answered. :noidea:

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

this is one of the best bike i have ever seen :shock:
πατα τραβα ρε

Crankycolnago

by Crankycolnago

Beautiful bike man ! Similar to mine :-)

PSM

by PSM

Has it cracked yet? :oops:

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

Nice Cippo! :thumbup:
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Love the bike, especially the color scheme!