New rider upgrade advice wanted

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rsiv

by rsiv

Hey Weightweenies I've lurked on the forum for awhile reading posts and decided to make my first post asking you guys for suggestions. I've got a a few thousand saved up and I'm looking at new group sets, wheels, bars, and maybe a new seat and post.

Here's my bike Tarmac Elite M2 54"

Specialized FACT 8r carbon, FACT IS construction, compact race design, 1-1/2" lower bearing, OSBB
Specialized FACT carbon, full monocoque, OS race for 1-1/2" bearing
1-1/8" upper and 1-1/2" lower Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm cone spacer, w/ 20mm of spacers
Shimano 105
Shimano 105
Shimano 105 STI
Shimano 105
Shimano 105
Shimano 105 STI
Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 11-28
Shimano Tiagra 10-speed
FSA Gossamer Pro
52/36
OS integrated, sealed bearings
DT Axis 3.0
DT Axis 3.0
S-Works Venge 54cm 7245.62
Etap & Quarq DZero

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

supermidget

by supermidget

I'd strongly consider a new bike altogether if you have a few thousand saved up and want to go lighter as it may be the easiest way to drop weight. As always though, a new set of wheels will be the easiest way for you to drop weight off your bike and go faster.

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

^ +1 for look at buying a new steed!

Zoro

by Zoro

Best thing is get a great pair of wheels and tires. Something so good you can use them on your next bike. Its nice to buy things you can move with you. Pedals are an example. So are saddles. I would suggest you do not break the groupo / keep the 105 parts.

You can also do well with the seatpost, but chances are your next bike may be a different diameter.
Bar and stem too, but I'm in agreement with others - upgrade the bike. Still nice wheels are always keepers.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I would put the couple thousand towards a whole new bike. Nothing wrong with your current its just a bike costs less than the sum of its parts.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I would level the saddle.

Then I would take that couple of thousand and go on a trip to Tuscany or other beautiful places to go cycling for a month with your bike.

rsiv

by rsiv

I appreciate all of the feedback everyone. My thought process was to get a nice group set and wheels, and then save for a better frameset to move it all to later. I was thinking about getting the Campagnolo Super Record 11 carbon/ti and Bora One wheels, and maybe the Enve aero road bar. Saving a few months and then getting a Wilier Zero 7 frame set to move it to. Thoughts?
S-Works Venge 54cm 7245.62
Etap & Quarq DZero

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Personally i'd retire this to your winter bike and use the money you have now to buy a new bike.
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

eric

by eric

+1 winter bike.

OTOH what you have is a perfectly serviceable bike that's just a few lbs heavier than what you could get by spending a lot more. If you haven't done it already it's cheaper and more effective to lighten yourself.

NGMN

by NGMN

I think I would say go somewhere in the middle. Pick a few upgrades that will make a big difference without spending all of your saved up dough. Maybe skewers, brakes, handlebar, stem, wheels(stuff that you may want to upgrade even on a nicer new bike) but only spend like a Grand(so probably not all of my suggestions).

You could probably drop a couple pounds and still have some money in the bank for a new frame/bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com