Canyon Slx Ultimate 2013

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Delorre

by Delorre

Oh, and I forgot, the seatpost weighted 225gr. Don't have a pic of it, sorry!!

Daddy yo yo

by Daddy yo yo

wow that is cool! thank you!!! :thumbup:

quite interseting to read the weight of the seatpost, as rumours list from 245 to 202g on the web...

889g is for the bare frame without anything else, such as headset, screws, etc.?
My contribution to more beautiful roads: - old - / - new -

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Daddy yo yo wrote:889g is for the bare frame without anything else, such as headset, screws, etc.?

As I mentionned in my previous post "Frame weight includes the der hanger, seatpost camp, all the liners and headset bearings. So 889 - 16 - (+/-) 50 for the bearings gives +/- 825gr. So completely bare frame should be close to 800gr" :wink:

Complete headset is aprrox 70 gr, I-lock is 20, means that the bearings that were still in the frame when I took the picture, should weight 50gr. No bottle-cage bolts were mounted in the picture.

Grz

Stammer

by Stammer

Nicely done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jumbo505

by jumbo505

I'm interested in changing the original i-lock headset to conventional expansion plug + top cap settings.
Did you happen to weigh the "plane top cover set for ultimate"? I want to know the weight difference to i-lock headset.
Is it a lot heavier? The i-lock headset is known to be 73 grams in total.

Delorre

by Delorre

@Jumbo : If I remember, it was between 5 & 10 gr. The expanderplug is realy heavy, but I only use it to get the headset free of play, and afterwards, I remove it. The fork is designed to be used twithout plug, so no worry :wink:

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I couldn't even install the expander plug!!! The inside of my steerer is not perfectly round, with small ridges of leftover carbon flash. Thankfully FSA also has an expander plug for 1-1/4" steerers, which I promptly removed after tightening the stem. So rest assured you don't have to worry about it's weight.

jumbo505

by jumbo505

Delorre wrote:@Jumbo : If I remember, it was between 5 & 10 gr. The expanderplug is realy heavy, but I only use it to get the headset free of play, and afterwards, I remove it. The fork is designed to be used twithout plug, so no worry :wink:

Wow.. so after tightening the stem.. you can just remove the expansion plug!? I didn't think of that. Thanks!
But if it is just around 5~10 grams heavier than I might just keep the plug.

jumbo505

by jumbo505

kkibbler wrote:I couldn't even install the expander plug!!! The inside of my steerer is not perfectly round, with small ridges of leftover carbon flash. Thankfully FSA also has an expander plug for 1-1/4" steerers, which I promptly removed after tightening the stem. So rest assured you don't have to worry about it's weight.

Thank you for the answer! I didn't know you could remove the plug after tightening the stem!! No worries on weight!!

Racing2

by Racing2

jumbo505 wrote:
Delorre wrote:@Jumbo : If I remember, it was between 5 & 10 gr. The expanderplug is realy heavy, but I only use it to get the headset free of play, and afterwards, I remove it. The fork is designed to be used twithout plug, so no worry :wink:

Wow.. so after tightening the stem.. you can just remove the expansion plug!? I didn't think of that. Thanks!

Really can you just remove the Plug??? doesn't it have an 'holding it all together function'? I'm not sure (anymore) if I understand the concept of how this works, but when I changed my headset from the Canyon one to the plane top cover one from Canyon there isn't a ring with an bolt on top of my headtube anymore (just an normal ring) if I where to remove the expansion plug the only thing holding my fork in his place will be the stem and isn't that kind of dangerous?

jumma

by jumma

That is one very nice looking bike. WD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jumbo505

by jumbo505

Racing2 wrote:
jumbo505 wrote:

Really can you just remove the Plug??? doesn't it have an 'holding it all together function'? I'm not sure (anymore) if I understand the concept of how this works, but when I changed my headset from the Canyon one to the plane top cover one from Canyon there isn't a ring with an bolt on top of my headtube anymore (just an normal ring) if I where to remove the expansion plug the only thing holding my fork in his place will be the stem and isn't that kind of dangerous?

I can see what you are worried about but if you think of the i-lock system.. the only thing holding the fork is also just a stem.. i-lock system(the ring with bolt you mentioned) only works as tightening any clearance left between stem and the headtube. If you could remove clearance with expansion plug and top cap first so that the stem could hold the fork tight enough, I think removing the compression plug is not much different to the original headset with i-lock system.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Right, the top cap and expansion plug are not load bearing.

Racing2

by Racing2

jumbo505 wrote:
Racing2 wrote:
jumbo505 wrote:

I can see what you are worried about but if you think of the i-lock system.. the only thing holding the fork is also just a stem.. i-lock system(the ring with bolt you mentioned) only works as tightening any clearance left between stem and the headtube. If you could remove clearance with expansion plug and top cap first so that the stem could hold the fork tight enough, I think removing the compression plug is not much different to the original headset with i-lock system.

Yeah but with the plane top cover you also switch to: just an ring, instead of the ring with the bolt. So in fact it has nothing to do with the old 'normal' Canyon setup.

jumbo505

by jumbo505

@Racing2 Do you think the ring with the bolt(i-lock system) has anything to do with the holding the fork? It only expands vertically to clear any clearance between stem and the headtube as I told you before.. But the height of the i-lock system is 16 mm which is high. So if you could make the clearance go away with the expansion plug and the top cap in the first place and tighten stem to firmly to hold its position, the 4.5 mm ring will allow you to lower your handlebar.. that's the whole idea. That's why pros use 'plane top cover' instead of the i-lock system because they want more aggressive position. I think firm hold by the stem is enough as long as there is no clearance. But if you have any doubt then you should just keep the plug and top cap.. that's your choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com