Trek Madone Series 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

amey

by amey

Thanks!

I am quite tempted to get the latest HED decals I think they'll look nicer and work better

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tqubed

by Tqubed

I have the 5.9 2013 frame with Aeolus D3 5s, stem and handlebar upgrades and Garmin vector powermeter. It's just under 17lbs with bottle cages, pedals and garmin mount but it's light enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

nice ride. why not start a thread of your own and post more photos? show us what sets this bike apart from the crowd!

amey

by amey

That looks like a lovely build! Very similar to mine.

chris8382

by chris8382

Very nice Madones. Had one myself (Madone 6.9 Pro Red) for a (short) while. Very nice bike, incredibly light, lots of "Go go go". But in the end, decided it just didn't feel as "alive" as my Colnago. Hope you all enjoy them.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The old Madones can't hold a candle to the current design. I went from a 2010 5-series to my current 2013, and the difference was night and day! Needless to say, I've put 3,000 miles on mine, and love every minute.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I reckon the current Madones are as good as any top end bike out there. Pretty light, semi aero, great handling and comfortable. A nice all round package IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yes, I agree. Word is that the Emonda's introduction will be pushing the Madone further into the aero fold, making it a true aero bike. Should be interesting to see what happens!

amey

by amey

I have done 400+ miles on this now and it is an amazing bike.
Very responsive yet stiff. Feels like not even a single pedal stroke power is wasted.
Very aero; I mean proper aero.
I have got a winter wheelset sorted as well. Novatec on Ambrosio Nemesis; havent ridden with it yet.
Currently using 110mm stem with 10mm spacer; could get lower but I am making slow progress deliberately.

I would highly recommend this bike/frameset.

Not sure where I read it on the forum but yes if you need more saddle height than is achievable by the seatmast you get you have to BUY a new (longer) one for £99.99 which I had to. You cannot swap. I eBay-ed the old one.

amey

by amey

I will report back as I put more miles in, tweak position and kit

amey

by amey

Winter wheels; ambrosio nemesis on novatec

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thanks for posting you bike. For photos, please take off the saddle pack and put the crank arm in line with the chainstays. Also, I would either change the headset/spacers to black, or the stem to white. The current combo looks odd.

amey

by amey

ha!

Well, I had nothing but helmet at the time I took the pic hence the crank angle and I am still dialling the fit in; once I know if I can slam or if I need a spacer I'll get everything black. Hard to find that conical FSA headset cover in black ..

amey

by amey

Also can someone comment on swisstop yellow pads?

I am new to carbon wheels and I've always used swisstop pads (green and now blue) on alloy wheels. Given their reputation and my usage I went with swisstop pads for carbon as well. They have good stopping power (and I havent tried them in wet) but absolutely zero modulation .. are there any other pads out there which are a little better at this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amey

by amey

Also; having JUST splashed £35 on swisstop yellows could the recommendation not be pricey? :P