Trek Madone Series 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

I'd added these to my watch list just in case.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400680454364? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Picked up my used frame set this morning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amey

by amey

Exciting!

Are you running internal or external battery? Did you get any special mount for battery to be mounted under BB shell? Like this:

Thats a picture of 7 series from here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_ ... _3430.html

I imagine series 5 have same mount.

I plan to run external for now mainly because I dont think its worth spending £200+ (1/5th cost of a new 6870 11 speed groupset) for internal set up. I'd rather update the groupset later when I can afford it. It'd be nice if the battery gets mounted at BB shell for neat looks.

amey

by amey

I am also new to tubular tyres. The HED wheelset I've bought comes with Vittoria Evo Cx tubs (25mm rear 23mm front) I think the rear is brand new and the front has seen 500 miles.

Is it worth getting a new set and carrying the unused tub pre-glued as a spare? Or once you take the tub out you cant re-glue it?

What do people carry when riding tubs? Most I've heard is a cheap pre-glued tub. Is that enough for a road side replacement? I was thinking the Arundel seat bag. Currently on clincher set up I carry; A tube, Tyre levers (park tools), KMC missing link, Lifeline 21-in-one Multi tool, Puncture kit with glue and patches. All of that gets easily stashed in this tool roll: http://www.kaptajn.bigcartel.com/produc ... addeltaske

As you can see here:

Excuse the shitty photo and dirty bike

amey

by amey

This is being built up today!

amey

by amey

This is built now but the seatmast it came with is 2cm shorter for my saddle height so a longer one has ordered so will have to be next week.

I also had to order the Trek Di2 kit and short battery mount for the battery to go under BB shell.

I got a chance to have a look and weight the bike in the shop; with everything on it (pedals, cages, garmin mount etc) its 7.52kg

I'll take proper photos once its built. It looks ace.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

With the HED wheels and Ultegra Ui2 it will be a sweet ride.
My 5.9 with 2010 SRAM Red and Zipp 404 clinchers is a really nice ride. It is about 1kg heavier than my Parlee Z5, but on flatter rides I don't notice the weight. I have raced the 5.9 during the Crit season, and just swapped in my Enve 1.38 Tubulars on a few occasions, and enjoyed racing and training on it.
Looking forward to seeing your pics and getting some feedback on your ride experience.
At the price they build into a really nice bike which handles and rides as well as many more expensive bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

amey

by amey

teaser ;)

CulBaire

by CulBaire

amey wrote:Is it worth getting a new set and carrying the unused tub pre-glued as a spare? Or once you take the tub out you cant re-glue it?

What do people carry when riding tubs? Most I've heard is a cheap pre-glued tub. Is that enough for a road side replacement?

You can take tubs off and reuse them however you need to be careful of the base tape; it will depend largely on the original glue job - if it was anything like the Corsa CX I took of my Zipp wheel last night... Well might as well throw that one away (it was well worn anyways). But I did put a used Corsa Elite back on that had been previously on another wheelset.

When riding with Tubs, which is all the time - I carry only a can of Vittoria "pit stop". I also put about 20ml of No Tubes sealant in the tires before glueing them up; it will help catch any pin holes that might occur. I have found the tubs much less susceptible to flats on our roads which are mainly pot-holed chip seal... :thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing the build :beerchug:

amey

by amey

^ thanks for the advise

Here is a pic; will take better with proper camera soon:

amey

by amey

Took some photos this evening:

Last edited by amey on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Pictures no workie :(

amey

by amey

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Lookin Good!!! :thumbup:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Looks nice, but I'm biased!

by 573

Modern Treks are usually too branded / gaudy - you did a great job. It looks fantastic in such a monochrome pallet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com