Trek Madone Series 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Cane Creek makes a version in short and tall heights. It's $42 on Amazon.

amey

by amey

Is that the price of headset or just the cover!?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Headset (upper bearing) and cover.

amey

by amey

Pricey! Will have a look here in the UK

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

I bought one of these and it works perfectly: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300993295292? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Here's my finished bike:

Not particularly light at 8.5kg, but considering it's built with 6770 Di2 and is a 5 series, I didn't expect it to be much lighter! The ride is amazing, possibly better that my 2012 6 series.

amey

by amey

VERY similar build to mine .. I am still surprised with the weight. With HEDs (including pedals and bottle cages) mine weighs 6.9kg.

Also are you using Bontrager brakes or ultegra?

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

There are some heavy parts like the Power2max and also the Sprinter Gatorskin tubs, I've weighed again with my HED Stinger 4's and it is 7.68kg.

The brakes are Ultegra 6810, which are superb.
Last edited by Spanielsson on Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amey

by amey

LOL I am actually getting the P2M too :P

What size frame is it?

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

It's a 54cm. I must have been half asleep when I posted earlier. It's closer to 8.5kg with my H-Plus Son handbuilt wheels!

amey

by amey

Its a very nice build indeed; I look forward to the day when I can slam my stem as much as yours :P Getting there though.

Spanielsson

by Spanielsson

The stem is -17 & 130mm long, I have a feeling that I'll have to change the bars to get that bit more reach. I've been fitted properly too, so that's very close to how I was set up. In reality, I should probably ride an H1 geometry frame for the bar drop and reach that I need.

blueblood1995

by blueblood1995

Tqubed wrote:I have the 5.9 2013 frame with Aeolus D3 5s, stem and handlebar upgrades and Garmin vector powermeter. It's just under 17lbs with bottle cages, pedals and garmin mount but it's light enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All
I also have an identical Madone 5.9 Di2 with stock Race Lite TLR wheels. Ripping bike!
Looking to upgrade with the Aeolus D3s but unsure about the 3s or 5s.
Have read some interesting comments about the "all-round" nature of the 3s and their "plenty aero" ability.
Most of my riding is undulating terrain with some flats. Not hilly climbs and descents.
The price ($3000 AUD) of the Aeolus's is slightly off-putting (!!) and am considering the Shimano C35s or a set of Reynolds Assault SLGs which can be picked up for about $1700 AUD.
Style of riding is recreational but I like to "put the foot down" when I read. No holding back so to speak!
Have an opportunity to demo both 3s and 5s but hoping the cycling heads on the forum can offer some advice for consideration.
Cheers
JB

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Welcome aboard. Please post some photos of your ride, so we can take a look!

CulBaire

by CulBaire

blueblood1995 wrote:
Hi All

Looking to upgrade with the Aeolus D3s but unsure about the 3s or 5s. The price ($3000 AUD) of the Aeolus's is slightly off-putting (!!) and am considering the Shimano C35s or a set of Reynolds Assault SLGs which can be picked up for about $1700 AUD.

JB

JB good to see another Aussie on the forum; there is a fair few of us on here now! :beerchug:

I would be inclined to go with something else; Shimano (C35 or C50), Reynolds (Various) and Zipp (303 or 404) wheels can all be picked up much, much cheaper than the asking price of the Bontragers; they can be found even cheaper if you are happy buying second. I have 2 sets of Zipp 404 tubs which I am more than happy with 8)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You can find Aeolus wheels on eBay for about the same price as Zipps, and from experience, I can tell you that the Bontrager wheels have much better hubs, and don't suffer from the flex that Zipps suffer from. I do like the Shimano offerings, but if you're going for clinchers, they're going to be heavier than anything else on the list (since they have aluminum brake tracks). The older Reynolds are strong and brake well, but they aren't as good as the Zipps or Bontrager wheels in a crosswind (again, from experience). I'm not sure about the newer Reynolds wheels in a crosswind, but those wheels go for Zipp/Bontrager money, if not more.

At this point, the only reason I would go for Zipps over Bontragers is because of resale value, otherwise, I think the D3 Aeolus wheels are a better wheel for the money.

Hope this helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com