First road bike build - Came in way too heavy - Need a diet

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi All

I have been reading the forum for a while and have through this been inspired during my first road bike build.
The bike started its life like this

Then it has been a continues build throughout the last year and now look as below. I’m quite happy with the looks, geometry and handling.

The specification

Bianchi Via Nirone

Frame/fork: Triple butted 6000 alloy with an alu/carbon fork
Headset: FSA ZS4
Seatpost clamp: Thomson
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Saddle
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-axis, 17/110
Bar Ritchey WCS Evo Curve, 400
Bartape: Wilier GIST Air Handlebar tape
Bottle cages: Specialized Zee Gage II
Outer Cables: Jagwire
Inner Cables: Jagwire
Brakes: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Front derailleur: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Crankset: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Chainrings: Shimano Ultergra 6700, 39/53
Chainring bolts: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Chain: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Shifters: Shimano Ultergra 6700
Cassette: Shimano Ultergra 6700, 12-21
Wheels: Sram S30AL Race
Inntertubes: Michelin Latex
Tires: Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC clincher, 25mm.
Pedals: Shimano 105, 5700

As the weight came in way to high I’m looking for reducing this. The goal would be just below 8 kg.
Any suggestion where I could shave 450 g. off?

As this is my first build there is a big chance towards the bike will be downgraded to a winter bike – wherefore the upgrades and weight reductions preferably shall kept to a minimum with regards to price.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Last edited by Champ5000 on Wed May 28, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

There's no cheap way as 400g is quite a lot. Probably the cheapest way would be getting a lighter frame/fork combo.

But I'd say 8.4kg is fine for a an Alu frame with high clinchers and Ultegra.

fletch62

by fletch62

Wheelset and brakes.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

If you are going to get a new bike and relegate this to winter duty I would leave it as-is and just ride.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Getting from 8.4x kg to 8kg isn't terribly hard. However, that being said, if you plan on relegating this bike to winter duties, I would save up and get a new bike. This one is pretty well equipped, albeit heavy.

Marin

by Marin

+1, Reducing weight from a complete, light-ish build is very expensive.

That said, you can get a 1400g carbon frameset or 1300g carbon clinchers for about 600$ each, 200g handlebar 50$, 180g seatpost 40$.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I would say that, you have a really nice looking bike, and a good weight for an aluminium frame with ultegra components and 30mm aluminium clinchers.
Nice colour scheme, except the bottle cages though. Black cages will look better I believe.

Maybe you can go for the Chinese carbon tubulars with really light tires. It should shave quite much weight for a normal budget. If you are happy with the frame and the group set, it will be the most effective option I believe, regarding to effects on your ride.

Champ5000

by Champ5000

All

Thank you for your replys.

I will stop modify the bike - and safe the money for a new build.

lechat

by lechat

Looks like you've spent a lot of $ and time on your build. I'd leave it as it is. The best way to build a WW bike if you're on a budget is to build a second bike. Buy a lightish frame and add light parts as they become available, using eBay, CL and forum classifieds. As long as you have a daily rider you won't be tempted to spend more than you should. I bought a NOS Caad7 frame back in '09 and it presently weighs 5.8kg. I doubt if I have more than $1800 in it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I would leave it as is but if you are going to spend more, ultegra shifter are 420g so go for Dura Ace. Ultegra cranks+ BB are about 80g more than Dura Ace. A Dura ace cassette will save some weight along with DA mech.

Wheels could be lighter - 38mm deep carbon clincher could weigh 1200g. Plenty of forks that could shave some grams.

So it is possible. I had a 1992 trek 2300 (which is a heavier frame/fork combo) down to 7.57kg. Weight has gone up now with the heavier kit I have put on it but it looks better.

RiverCityKid

by RiverCityKid

Looks like you've been getting good advice, keep up the riding and be on the lookout for great deals. I got 3T ergosum team bars and stem from ebay for 110 dollars from a guy who took them off likely a cervelo because he didn't like them. The bars are 202g and the stem is 125g, and they're ridiculously stiff on my carbon steerer tube even though the stem is aluminum. Anyway, good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thanh

by Thanh

Just keep it as it is, save money for another lighter bike, I have ALU bike weight more than that (10.5 KGS) as I used for winter and wet day.