"Cervelo" R5 - Sram Force22 - (hopefully) Sub 7KG Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

saad

by saad

OK I lied. Its not a Cervelo R5, but a China version ;) - hence the use of inverted commas ("Cervelo")I was about to purchase an FM066SL, but was weary of the short headtube. Having ridden an R3, and owning a Cervelo Soloist Team, I loved the ride and geometry of the R3, and just I was about to purchase the FM066SL, I came across the R5 from Feel Bicycles. Weeks of conversations followed, and a while later, I had my frame :)

My old bike:

I recently sold this. It was bittersweet as I loved it, but cant keep 4 bikes in the tiny apartment and the wife wont allow it! So 2 road and one MTB it is.

I'm also building up an old steel bike: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125192

Now, I am not a weight weenie by any means, in that I am not a lightweight myself, but I really wanted to build a Sub 6.8KG bike for cheap. I would have loved to get a real R5, but that can't happen atm - once I graduate, I'll be sure to grab a real one!

That being said, I hate the idea of fake bikes, and people putting decals on China bikes, pretending they are something they are not, its cheap and tacky!

So the plan is to build it up with a Force 22 Groupset. According to my calculations, this should be a sub 7KG build, significantly less, but ofcourse, these are based on manufacturer weights, and we know reality is quite different! Of course this does not include cables, grease etc:

More info and pics to come!
Last edited by saad on Mon May 19, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

saad

by saad

Arrival of the frame:

The weigh in:

972grams with derailleur hanger, bottle cage bolts, covers etc, size 56. Not bad!

Fork:

Before doing anything, I gave it a wipedown with isopropyl alcohol, and gave it a coating of Modesta BC05, a glass coating used for cars. The Modesta is a glass coating, used for cars, similar to a wax, but thicker and basically permanent, and gives incredible gloss and depth. I run a detailing business on the side, and had some left over (it costs a fortune), so decided to apply it to protect the frame and make it easier to clean and look better too:

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Love the paint colour, to bad more "real" manufacturers don't offer custom programs.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

liam7020

by liam7020

Liking it so far!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

saad

by saad

Bottom Bracket installation:

And Sram cranks:

Installed:

Nicos

by Nicos

Interesting to see the tool you made to install the bb, I'll probably do this too!

I hope you can post the weight of the components,
especially the groupset since I didn't find real weights yet (it must be somewhere but not where I looked)
Last edited by Nicos on Fri May 16, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitchy

by mitchy

love the colour of the frame! makes me regret selling my old matte white bike... again.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

wow! That is going to look HOT!

saad

by saad

Decided to get some Shimano RS21's. They were pretty much the cheapest 11 speed wheel I could find, at $160, and the advertised weight was 1850g. When I weighed them they came in at 1870g, with rim tape, so not bad.

I'll be running some 56mm carbon tubulars soon, so these will do me good till then. Basically I was just impatient and wanted some cheap clinchers!

Continental GP4000S 25c:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2916/14207366121_e2324f92ba_b.jpg

Running Michelin Latex tubes (no pics unfortunately), which came in at 162g for the pair.

Decided to run with a Ritchey Classic bar and stem, and matching seatpost, even though its alloy, not carbon, and heavier than the OEM one. Just looks too good!

Next bike will be Ti, and use these components hopefully! I just love metal.

Seatpost clamp:

Cut the fork down too. Still needs to be cut more, but this will allow me to put it together:

Krull

by Krull

Nice colour.
Is the geometry similar to a cervelo?
Btw:

Good trick with the "cervelo r5" to get some attention.;-)
But: Is the 066 a china version of a r5???
Ok, it looks quite similar, but not at all identical ( better in my opinion). So i think, it has nothing to do with a fake bike (beside name dropping in this thread :-) ) Ridley helium sl looks similar to a r5 as well, f.e.
Last edited by Krull on Mon May 19, 2014 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

saad

by saad

The geometry is exactly the same as an R5/R3. I was gonna go the FM066SL, but then came across this. I had ridden the new R3 and loved the way it felt and fit, and knew my sizing in cervelo. The taller headtube is what sold it for me, as the headtube on the FM066SL is shorter than even the old Cervelo R series bikes, and I was after something that would allow me to run as few spacers as possible.

The BBRight is also a very cool concept and the BB area is very chunky indeed.

The FM066 has the same geometry of a Cannondale Supersix.

Cheers

Krull

by Krull

Ah, my fault, sorry! This is no 066 sl, as you wrote! Because of the geometry, you decided against 066sl.
I mixed this up. I didnt read well and thought, you had purchased a 066.
Sorry again, regards,

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Looks great! You did well getting the "cheap" Shimano wheels to hold you over.....something about Shimano wheels, they just roll no matter if they are the cheapest ones or top line DA models.

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

saad wrote:The geometry is exactly the same as an R5/R3. I was gonna go the FM066SL, but then came across this. I had ridden the new R3 and loved the way it felt and fit, and knew my sizing in cervelo. The taller headtube is what sold it for me, as the headtube on the FM066SL is shorter than even the old Cervelo R series bikes, and I was after something that would allow me to run as few spacers as possible.

The BBRight is also a very cool concept and the BB area is very chunky indeed.

The FM066 has the same geometry of a Cannondale Supersix.

Cheers
Saad, did you ever finish the build? How does it ride? Any issues?
Using Tapatalk

velonista

by velonista

saad wrote:...Its not a Cervelo R5, but a China version...

We'll take your refusal to follow-through as evidence that your "Cervelo" has suffered the same disastrous fate reported about other frames from Feel Bicycle then. Shall we?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com