2014 BH Ultralight 4.3kg (9.47 lbs) FINAL UPDATE Page 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Denavelo

by Denavelo

RyanH wrote:Dude... I told you skewers. First thing to check: skewers.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

When I locked in my skewer, your post came to mind... haha

I also thought all of the BB work I did during my search and destroy of the creak has lined me up for a nice life of no creak on this frame. So happy because I really like this BH.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Hahaha... Similar experience, spend ages trying to track down this creak I had thinking it was the BB; it ended up being spacer/top cap on my forks of all things. :noidea:

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I got a gnarly sound coming from my fork headset area now... Like a notching sound. Even if I hold the bike up and turn the bars from left to right, there's a notch sound.. So weird. I'm wondering if the headset is trash or just replace the top HS with the Extralite IS42 and what not..Bike sounds drive me nuts. That's why I love metal bikes.. The sounds stay to a minimum.

update: Took apart the headset and the bearings are so rusted looking from usage over the year. I want to get a new Headset... Ultratop 42 is the one we're using for this bike right? I'll have to find a matching bottom that works or just get another FSA bottom.. I degreased everything and then cleaned it all up and added some grease to everything. Turning alot smoother.

update v2.0: The noise stemmed from a barrel adjuster my LBS put on the RD cable housing... When I crank the bars, the adjuster gets stuck and pops to move and what not... I swear this bike is a non stop barrage of noises.. haha
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Wow I would have never guessed the Barrel adjuster as the culprit. I would have gone straight after the headset like you did. That is a good tip. Almost all my bikes make noises and I always end up having to take the whole bike apart and rebuild it to get rid of the noise. I can never seem to specifically isolate where sounds are coming from.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Denavelo

by Denavelo

update #3... It was the stock campy shifting cables rubbing the iLink housing when the bars turn slightly when out of saddle (Dancing on the pedals). I swear bike noises are on my top 5 list of annoying things on the planet..

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi godzuki 26, can you tell me please how the Fibre Lyte chain rings are, how's the shifting, any wear and tare, and how many miles have you done on them.
Cheers.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The Fibrelyte rings have been fantastic. I have used them on 5 different bikes (road bike,track bike,fixie town bike, TT bike, 1x11 road bike). If you keep the drive train (chain,cassette) clean you can get a couple thousand miles out of them pretty easily. I have not had any issues with broken teeth. Again, you want to avoid the obvious like shifting under load and cross chaining to increase longevity. The cost of a Rotor noQ 49 tooth chainring cost the same as a Fibrelyte 49 tooth chainring at half the weight. I have used these chainrings for Di2, SRAM Yaw, and SRAM non Yaw and the front shifting works perfectly fine. I order them directly from Fibrelyte in the UK. Stephen responds very quickly and paying via Paypal is as easy as 1,2,3. The Fibrelyte rings have lasted way longer than a Recon full aluminum cassette that I babied. I have since switched the cassette to a KCNC Ti cassette and my chainrings are still going strong.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks for the reply, it's good to get a detailed report as Im debating if to get the Fibre Lyte or Carbon Ti rings. !!!