Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon Custom build 10659g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

The e13 Narrow Wide chain ring was a success. No dropped chain yet. I've been beating on it like mad. I also swapped on some S-Works carbon handlebars. I would guess the weight should be down to under 27.5lbs at this point. I'll weigh it again soon. Here is the latest pic I have of her, with her sisters.

limba

by limba

Looks great. Since you're so into Specialized, maybe there's a way to use the Specialized mtn crank? If not the Race Face Next SL seems very popular.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

limba wrote:Looks great. Since you're so into Specialized, maybe there's a way to use the Specialized mtn crank? If not the Race Face Next SL seems very popular.

Yeah the Race Face is nice. It is what Specialized puts on the Fatboy Pro, and SL. The Specialized crank doesn't fit because the spindle length is so long, I think it is like 100mm or something like that. Maybe with a spacer in the crank spindle then maybe you could get it to work. It's probably easier to just buy the Race Face.

jooo

by jooo

You'd need something like this to run S-Works cranks.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Where can such a piece be purchased from?

jooo

by jooo

It's a custom part. A few people have made them, (often about 5mm wide) to use the cranks on 73mm BSA or PF92 frames.

I'm not actually sure what that spacer is for, it could either be for a fatbike or to run a road crank on a 73mm BSA frame. Or suitable for both?

EP seems to the go to guy for those wanting to buy one, almost all of the others seem to made by their owners.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Experimental-Prototype/208219055974264

RF does just seem like the easier option though if you're ok with not having a 100% Spec bike :lol:
The RF spindle also works with Hollowgram arms too:

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I've upgraded to SRAM XX1, and I have some Magura MT8 brakes to be installed as well, just waiting on a bleed kit. I'm looking at replacing my BB with a RaceFace unit currently, and I'm trying to get one of those spacers from Experiental Prototype to fit some S-Works MTN cranks onto the bike as well.

eurperg

by eurperg

Interesting thread. I have a Fatboy Expert as well...

You could drop over 100g per wheel by going from ghetto tubeless to shrink wrap tubeless, I have been using it for a while now without problems. 8-10 tight layers, install valve and carefully install the tire. Holds air great. The original red rimstrip weighs 52 grams, and replacing it with for example Gorilla tape saves weight.

I have also tried the Gorilla tape and Scotch Tough transparent tape method, but because of seams in the tape their long-term reliability is not good.

Image Image

Tune fatbike titanium skewers would drop 100g easily too

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Good info. I've never seen the shrink wrap method before. I actually went back to using tubes, because I slit both of my sidewalls pretty badly experimenting with tire pressure. I'm currently using Specialized DH 26x2.3-3" tubes as they are lighter. When I replace the tires I will attempt tubeless again. I'm also considering the RaceFace Next SL crank instead of the S-Works crank with the spacer. Experimental Prototype wants a pretty penny for his spacer, and bolt, and it just makes more sense to just buy a RaceFace, and bolt it on.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Is there a place that has the Tune skewers available already?

I wanted to try the shrink-wrap tubeless method, but did not think this will actually work. I used clear scotch duck-tape, double wrap. That shrink-wrap would probably save me ~150g. Scotch tape came to 175g both wheels.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

krzysiekmz wrote:Is there a place that has the Tune skewers available already?

I wanted to try the shrink-wrap tubeless method, but did not think this will actually work. I used clear scotch duck-tape, double wrap. That shrink-wrap would probably save me ~150g. Scotch tape came to 175g both wheels.

Chris.

I just found out about the clear scotch duck-tape. I may try that route as well. It seems people have had good results. The shrink wrap method seems kinda iffy. I imagine it could be problematic in a trail fix situation.

Also as far as skewers go, I saw Paul Components makes a sweet set in 190mm. I'm sure they aren't the lightest, but they are probably lighter than the Specialized ones, and insanely good quality.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

In the end I just followed this:

http://cyclesinlife.com/tubeless-fatbik ... on-update/

Paul's skewers sure are nice, just no weight savings compared to my current Hope skewers @ 131g

I am sure Tune can make sub 50g set but not so sure about clamping force. My Hopes are really solid.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

eurperg

by eurperg

Bike24.com has Tune 135/190mm skewers in stock. I was thinking about the clamping force too, but hey this is WW...

I got the shrink-wrap idea from mtbr forums, there were a couple successful reports about it. If it fails, I will tell you here ASAP...
If you want to be secure, you should carry a tube for trail fix situations anyway, no matter what tubeless conversion method you are using.

I was using Scotch Tough tape previously, but after two weeks sealant had already worked its way under the tape in several places in the middle, where the red rim strip bulges from rim holes... It was not leaking yet, but that would have been inevitable.

Here's my bike btw:

Still stock except XT Ice Tech 203/180 mm rotors, XT cassette, XT pedals, e13 42t Ex cog + OneUp 16t and RaceFace NW 30t front. 13,5 kg as in the pic.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Nice rig. I finally have a more recent pic of mine. It now has XX1, XX Brakes, S-Works post, and bars, Phenom Pro saddle, and ESI Chunky grips.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

So I sold the old 2014 Expert, and built up a 2016 Comp Carbon frame with all the old parts, plus a RaceFace Next SL crank. Result is 10659g, or 23.5lbs without the spare tube, or Garmin, but with pedals, Garmin mount, and Bandit.