Epic Carbon Expert 2013

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PekkaEpic

by PekkaEpic

Well i haven´t introduced my bike yet so i hope this is the right part of the board?

Well as i have written earlier i have changed a lot on the bike from it´s stock parts.

i wish i had better photos of it when it was stock but i am not sure i have.

as i said when i weighed it at work hanging it on the park tools scale it showed 11.37kg´s
then i removed the bar ends and took of a very little 93grams to be exact so no big difference there.
rode it yesterday for the first time without the "bull horns" and it felt strange to not have the bar ends there.
here is some images of the bike however the first one is original before i owned it the rest after alterations. :)

on this image only the handlebar is changed to the S-Works prowess enduro low ris

on this image i have chnaged the grips for the BG contour XL lock on grips, also put on my carbon bottle cage which i found out is not possibvle to have on with a bottle :( but doesn´t matter i am about change those to lighter ones as well :)

here it is pretty much how i had it during late autumn and winter
difference here is pedals XT combo/trekking and bar ends

here it is in it´s winter state with spike tires on it

Here it is with all the changes to date new pedals, seat post, saddle,and bar ends which i have removed so new pics will come the more changes i make to save a few hundred grams :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AdyM

by AdyM

Hi,

Continuing on from the Magura discussion, all you need for 1x10 is a narrow wide chainring. Loads of companies are making them in a 104BCD, race face, hope, e thirteen, absolute black, blackspire, works components, and they're only the ones I can name from memory. It is also beneficial to run a clutch rear mech to keep the chain tensioned over rough terrain. (I have both a race face and an e-thirteen ring)

Depending on the setup and what parts you're using, a switch to 1x10 would give around a 300-400g weight saving. I have just done this on my hardtail and will be updating my build page soon! About -150g for the mech and -150g for the shifter and cabling, then -50g in the chainrings. On a 104BCD it's also possible to change the chainring without needing to remove the cranks, so you could change the gearing quite easily depending on where you wanted to ride and what terrain you were riding on :)

PekkaEpic

by PekkaEpic

HI well i have XTR shifters i have the XTR rear mech called shadow plus it has that little knob that can be put "on" or "off"

i will consider going 1x10 but it is very up and down terrain here question is how is a 1x in general where the climbs are long and sometimes steep?

AdyM

by AdyM

Yeah, so keep the mech with it as 'on' and you'll notice you can't really move the mech cage as it's keeping the chain fixed in place.
Best thing to do with 1x is do go on a few rides and notice what gears you use. For instance, I found on my 38/26 double crankset I used between a 38-13 and a 26-28. And when you work out the ratios a 34T cog, would pretty much give me that full range. However if you needed a 38-13 to a 26-36 then I think you'd struggle to get a 1x you were comfortable on. But go out and ride, but keep an eye on what gears you are using, then work out different ratios.

PekkaEpic

by PekkaEpic

well as i continue to debate forth and back with my self about tubeless nad 1x10 or not 1x10 these are to be put on the bike in a near future:

the Shimano XTR M987 brakes

and the XTR cassette unforunatley Shimano didn´t have the chain and it isn´t available from them for along time it seems so i have to go with the XT chain

well i am to replace the Front der. as the rivets for the cage has gotten loose so it has a fair amount of play

i can´t wait long enough to get those items on the bike :D

PekkaEpic

by PekkaEpic

Well an update on the Epic

Front Der. is now the M985 XTR type E2
Cassette is XTR M980
Chain is XT 10 SP (shimano was out of stock on XTR chains) i will however buy one eventually and keep as spare
other than that i haven´t gotten any longer as the XTR M987 brakes is still out of stock at Shimano

i guess i´ll gain some weight if i go ice tech rotors and the pads with fins i will also change shift wires and housings i will get the BBB wires that are made in a specific way so you don´t need to adjust the wires.
and we will also make the housings a bit longer for clearance under the frame which Specialized didn´t when they built the bike and now i have a mark under the BB housing.
I will also make sure the brake hose will have some more length also for clearance.
more pics and update to come Tubeless beckons rather near now more so than before :D

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Superior pictures and barends!
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

PekkaEpic

by PekkaEpic

well here is some update for you i weighed the Epic at work with new brakes and rotors on i couldn´t get the XTR cassette work with the XT HG-59 chain on some cogs it made some chain noise like when a gear isn´t on properly so we put on a Deore cassette it weighed in at 11,27KG´s lighter than that i need to convert it to 1x10 and tubeless tires so i´m pleased this is how the new stuff looks like i´ll post better Photos once i get the chance weather here in Sweden has been bad for any photo shots :(

well that´s it for now

PekkaEpic

by PekkaEpic

i do apologize for the huge images, i now do have the XTR M980 cassette on the rear wheel and now it does work with the chain it showed to be that the rear mech cable/wire was too tight and now it works again so i guess the 11,27kg´s might be a bit lower now how much i do not know :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com