Scott Addict R1 58cm - 6690g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

n808

by n808

This project started with an eBay purchase of a Scott Addict 58cm frame, new from factory warranty replacement (2011 or 2012 model). I had intended to retire my 2004 Specialized Allez Pro and move over its Dura-Ace gear. Then I was lucky and found OEM packaged new 2013 10-speed SRAM Red shifters for a great price from Bike Nashbar. Most other gear was purchased via eBay. Total cost for entire project ~$2500 or so.

Regarding the tall seatpost and spacers under stem, some will probably suggest I should have gotten a larger frame, but with my horribly long legs and short torso, that would have required an awfully short stem. So I prefer the taller setup and like the geometry of the 58cm frame better than the oversized look of 61cm frames.

I am very happy with the result, weight, cost, appearance. On the road it feels great - dampens vibrations better than my old Specialized, better fit, better gearing (50-34) and most importantly for this bike, it's super light [I have since purchased parts to adjust the fit of my Specialized, incl. new carbon handlebars, and with 27mm tires, it has become a great bad-weather bike].

The SRAM doubletap shifters performance is awesome. Great reach and modulation, compared to my 2004 Dura-Ace, especially with the Planet X brakes. After getting used to DoubleTap it works great as well. I miss is a gear indicator though. On my 2004 Dura-Ace shifters, I have two. One on the cable, one on the Flightdeck computer.

6653gr in spreadsheet. 6690gr on hanging scale. Can't account for 37gr.. (inaccurate scale, rounding error ..)

Updates:
VCRC ceramic BB: 93g (-14g)
SRAM Rival left crank arm w Stages PM (+100g)
Ritchey WCS stem 120g (-15g)
Last edited by n808 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 16 times in total.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

I received my frame, but was a little disappointed that the Scott Addict R1 is no longer the superlight frame it used to be sold as. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124941

The frame weighs 1010gr and the uncut fork 390gr. In the past, forum participants have reported these to weight 870gr and 320gr, so the warranty replaced, new-in-box frameset I bought, has gained quite a bit of weight, since its best days. I'll still be able to get below 6.8kg with my parts as listed above, and that was the goal.

(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Definitely one of the better Addict paint schemes, but that's a real crapper with Scott fudging the weight.

At some point, crash and warranty replacements will have to migrate to the newest / current version.

Rick

by Rick

THe Sram Red 22 crank works perfectly with 10-speed.

I just replaced a Force 10-speed crank that had Red-Black chainrings with a Red 22 crank. The front shifting of the Exogram chainrings is just totally unfreekingly believably awesome! The best I have ever experienced. (also using Red-10 shifters and Red-10 Yaw derailleur)

The Red-22 crank is actually more silent in the cross-shift extremes because the chainrings are slightly wider spaced than on the 10.
(That's right, WIDER, not narrower. Sram said they did it this way to improve chain-line, because the 11 spped cassettes are wider.)

n808

by n808

Great - I am glad to learn this. I ended up getting a new 10-speed SRAM Red crankset at a very good price, almost 50gr lighter than my Dura-Ace. I guess I'll learn to live with the slightly narrower chainrings - over the years I have gotten into a habit of avoiding too much cross-shift extremes as it is .. Thanks!

cerro

by cerro

No derailleur hanger?

n808

by n808

No - I figured I'd manage without one.
I forgot to include it - 12gr.

n808

by n808

Updated first post. Hopefully ready to test this coming weekend.

I am currently figuring out the best cable routing. For the derailleurs I think I'll try criss-crossing the cables under the downtube, for a smoother routing left shifter to right side of downtube and vice versa from the handlebars.

The frame did not come with a bottom bracket cable guide, but a Campagnolo one seems to fit reasonably well.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Great looking R1. I have the same 2011, in a tiny 49cm, the c24's work great on that bike.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

n808

by n808

I completed the Addict last weekend and updated the first post, but did not bump it up with a reply... Now, after a whole week of commuting on my old Specialized aluminum bike I was finally able to get a ride in with the Addict.

The ride quality compared with my 2004 Specialized is superb. It feels almost like floating over road vibrations (a little exaggeration must be allowed for a new bike), and so quiet as well. I found an interesting article (too much to read, see illustrations...) showing how the the three frame materials respond to vibrations. I found it very illustrative as to how I feel every little vibration with my aluminum bikes. My alu bikes are old though, 2004 Specialized, and a semi-retired Klein 1997 or so. The ride quality on the Addict is also enhanced by a pair of Veloflex clinchers.

Update added to first post after first test ride last week (5/18/14): It's finally complete and test ridden. Cable cutting and routing took a lot of time to get right, no frame rubbing, and smooth bends everywhere. The gear wires cross underneath the downtube, for a better routing from handlebar to frame.

I am very happy with the result, weight, cost, appearance. On the road it felt great - dampens vibrations better than my old Specialized, quicker, yet more stable. I can feel the weight difference each pedal stroke. I got new PRs on all the climbs I attempted, even though I wanted to take my time and enjoy the feeling of a new bike :D.

The SRAM doubletap shifters braking performance was awesome. Great reach, and modulation, compared to my 2004 Dura-Ace, especially with the Planet X brakes. Shifting needs some getting used to. It's very accurate and determined shifting. With Shimano I have had to learn how to push the levers to get the worn mechanism to change accurately. With SRAM I sometimes double-shifted up, sometimes down instead of up... And, I miss the gear indicator. On my 2004 Dura-Ace shifters, I have two. One on the cable, one on the Flightdeck computer.

thencameyou

by thencameyou

Nice rig, and impressive weight. The OCD in me wants to say you should match bar / stem / post. (Ritchey WCS?, probably some weight loss there too) and maybe a non-gold chain next time. Minor quibbles however...

EDIT: just noticed you have Swisstop Yellows with alloy rims...pourquoi?

n808

by n808

Thanks! Yeah, I thought about matching stem and seat post, but not within my current budget. Good to have some plans for future upgrades. I bought the chain to save some weight, X10SL. I now see it comes in regular silver color as well, so when it's time to change, it will be different.
I am using the yellow swissstops that the eBay seller included with my wheels, since they are carbon with thin alloy brake surfaces, thinking they wear the brake surfaces less. Probably not much difference though. Might switch back.

n808

by n808

Rick wrote:THe Sram Red 22 crank works perfectly with 10-speed.

I just replaced a Force 10-speed crank that had Red-Black chainrings with a Red 22 crank. The front shifting of the Exogram chainrings is just totally unfreekingly believably awesome! The best I have ever experienced. (also using Red-10 shifters and Red-10 Yaw derailleur)

The Red-22 crank is actually more silent in the cross-shift extremes because the chainrings are slightly wider spaced than on the 10.
(That's right, WIDER, not narrower. Sram said they did it this way to improve chain-line, because the 11 spped cassettes are wider.)

I will be replacing my 53/39 crankset with a 50/34 and I have the option of getting a Red22 crankset. Are you using the new Red22 front derailleur for your Red22 crankset? I have the older 10-speed front derailleur, also with Yaw technology. I am sure it will work, just not how well. I can imagine the Red22 front derailleur moves (yaws) a little more to accommodate the wider 11-speed cassette. I have no plans on upgrading to 11-speed.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Good to hear it's turned out to be a great bike.

I really like those C24s. Are they new or from your previous bike? How do you like them? I have an itch to switch out my deep wheels for something low-pro...

As for the X10SL chain, I buy whichever color is less expensive. Sometimes it's gold and (fortunately) other times it's silver. It's functionality and weight is top notch, so color is what it is.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

Thanks - I enjoy every ride so much more than my 2004 Specialized. I thought that was good, but had no idea how much better a bike could get, comfort and fit-wise. I did a much better job getting the right sized components this time.

I bought the C24s used from eBay. Since my only comparison are old and heavy Mavic Ksyriums, I can only say they are a huge improvement. The weight difference can easily be felt accelerating and climbing. They have stayed true over a few accidental potholes and the hubs are easy to work with. I have not noticed any wear on the aluminum brake surfaces yet, sans how they were when I got them, but have stayed out of rain so far. I am using the blue SwissStops now, and after comfortably braking down one of the few Cat 3 hills in Seattle in 30C heat, they were only mildly warm. I have never tried pure carbon or deep rims.