IF Ti Crown Jewel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

smkane9

by smkane9

Hi All,

Wanted to share my recent build. I acquired the frame in December of 2013 and acquired parts slowly over the following months. I also took some parts (mostly the groupset) off my CAAD10. I realize the spacers are hideous, but I'm slowly coming back from a torn muscle in my back so I need a less aggressive position at the moment. I'll post photos again when I cut the steerer.

The only plans for an upgrade are the saddle and maybe pedals. The romin is definitely on the heavy side.

Most importantly, the weight as pictured is 8.3kg. I should note that I also have a set of Reynolds 46's and carbon railed saddle that bring the weight down to 7.9KG. If I ever get around to it I'll post photos with that setup.

Build list is below, hope you enjoy.

Frame - Independent Fabrication Ti Crown Jewel - 58/59CM
Fork - Enve Edge 2.0 Road
Shifters/FD/RD/Brakes - Ultegra 6700
Cables/Housing - Shimano PTFE
FD Mount - KCNC
Cranks - Rotor 3D
BB - Chris King
Chainrings - Praxis Works - Classic 53-39
Pedals - Speedplay Zeros
Handlebars - Thomson Road
Stem - Thomson X2 - 110MM -7degrees
Seatpost - Thomson Masterpiece
Seatpost Collar - KCNC
Saddle - Specialized Romin Evo 143mm
Bottle Cages - Arundel Dave-O Carbon
Rims - Hed Belgium
Spokes - Sapim Race
Hubs - Chris King Classic
Tires - Vittoria Evo Corsa SC 25mm
Comp - Garmin Edge 800 w/ Barfly Mount
Bar Tape - Arundel Gecko

Last edited by smkane9 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Nice IF! It will look killer once the spacers are gone, but smarter to get your back right before chopping the steerer. :beerchug:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Last edited by btompkins0112 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Very nice. One critique is that I would invest in a stainless steel espresso pot. Aluminum tends to leach into the water and provides a less-than-optimal cup of coffee. Trust me on that.

smkane9

by smkane9

btompkins0112 wrote:Nice IF! It will look killer once the spaces are gone, but smarter to get your back right before chopping the steerer

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks, love your CAAD10!

smkane9

by smkane9

FIJIGabe wrote:Very nice. One critique is that I would invest in a stainless steel espresso pot. Aluminum tends to leach into the water and provides a less-than-optimal cup of coffee. Trust me on that.

Now that is a useful critique! First a lighter saddle, then a new espresso pot. :D

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

No, no. First the pot. Trust me on that one! ;)

Beautiful bike, BTW. Completely understand about the stack height on the spacers. I used to ride with someone who had back surgery and had to have an extender placed on her headset to raise the bars.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Great build. Is this a Newmarket IF or a Somerville IF?

smkane9

by smkane9

FIJIGabe wrote:No, no. First the pot. Trust me on that one! ;)

Beautiful bike, BTW. Completely understand about the stack height on the spacers. I used to ride with someone who had back surgery and had to have an extender placed on her headset to raise the bars.

Haha, coffee comes first. I'm really liking the looks of the stainless steel espresso pots.

And thank you, appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be able to get back to zero stack or close to, just want to be comfortable in the meantime.

smkane9

by smkane9

jbaillie wrote:Great build. Is this a Newmarket IF or a Somerville IF?

Thank you! It's a Somerville.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Awesome bike, love the bar/stem/post choice! Always the best way to go!

smkane9

by smkane9

Quinn039 wrote:Awesome bike, love the bar/stem/post choice! Always the best way to go!

Thanks! :beerchug:

michel2

by michel2

[quote="FIJIGabe"]No, no. First the pot. Trust me on that one! ;)

yeah nah.. he/she's is right about that one not so much a taste concern more a health concern...

but indeed ripper bike, looks very neat, can i ask what the tube diameters are for the mainframe ?
thanks,mick

smkane9

by smkane9

Juanmoretime wrote:Very nice example of the gray metal. Well balanced and a bit of the classic look with the tan sidewalls.

Thank you, appreciate it.

smkane9

by smkane9

michel2 wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:No, no. First the pot. Trust me on that one! ;)

yeah nah.. he/she's is right about that one not so much a taste concern more a health concern...

but indeed ripper bike, looks very neat, can i ask what the tube diameters are for the mainframe ?
thanks,mick

Thanks, Mick!

As far as I know, the diameter is 34.9mm. I know for sure the ST is that size bc of the FD mount and seatpost collar. And I have to assume the DT and TT are the same size, but I'm not an expert on frame tubing. :noidea:

Hopefully that answers your question.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's a really nice bike. But that cabling is horrendously lopsided. Really needs to be redone. And you're talking about cutting the steerer to remove spacers. It already looks like you've got a significant saddle to bar drop going on, what is it by the way? Just how many of those spacers are you planning on taking out? Your back is already messed up and I hope it recovers fully. I think much more drop than you currently have and it's going to start looking very wrong. Are you going to cut the steerer because you really need more drop, or are you cutting the steerer because you don't like the look of the spacers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com