Spooky Skeletor

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jdp211

by jdp211

Just got this guy built up a couple of days ago and am super stoked to beat on it. Picked up the frameset for a steal and built it up as a budget/crit/race bike.
Build is a full Athena 11 with Chorus brakes, I've got a few sets of wheels that will swap in and out, but pictured are King Hubs to Hed Belgiums, Deda Newton Shallow bars, and King Cages. At some point, the post and stem will be swapped for silver. It has yet to be weighed, but I'm guessing its in the low to mid 16lb range depending on wheels.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Sick.....Love the color

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Love this! We don't need to go into all the reasons the bar tape is offensive because everything else is awesome. Great finishing kit too. Are you in New England or just a Spooky fan?

jdp211

by jdp211

Thanks for the kind words. Mostly just a Spooky fan (I've got 3, 2 CX and this :twisted: ). My other bikes abide by the "rules," and I figured that if any bike could rock offensive bar tape, it was an offensively colored Spooky! Also, the headbadge had peeled off, so I've got this in its place:

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Yeah! Frame color, setback, even the bar tape :thumbup:

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I actually love the frame color. Spooky bikes are subtle in a lot of ways, so it's great that the paint pops.

jdp211

by jdp211

Good news and bad news. First the good, this machine is an absolute monster. I've had a couple of rides and a crit to feel it out. Whereas my Rock Lobster is a do it all road race machine, this feels super sharp and comfortable railing through corners. Both are fantastic to ride. The bad news, is that it weighs a little more than I expected. Though with no weenie parts to speak of, it's not particularly surprising. Weight as previously pictured is 7.7kg. It's unlikely to get any lighter than that, and likely heavier depending on what wheels I use with it, but it feels super solid and crazy stiff. A race machine through and through. That said, the engine needs far more work than the bike.

Sent from my spacephone
Last edited by jdp211 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Not surprised about the weight, but it's no big deal. You'd have to start making it rain to get it down to weightweenie level

jdp211

by jdp211

These days the weight of my bikes is less of a concern than other manners. Parts for this were chosen with durability and aesthetics without a thought for weight. I'm in a place where I'd rather have a sweet stable of metal bikes than just super light carbon one. I've had weenie bikes in the past and likely will again, but they don't really jive with my build philosophy for the time being.

Sent from my spacephone

smkane9

by smkane9

Great looking ride! :beerchug:

ergott

by ergott

That's a great bike.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

CBJ

by CBJ

That is bad ass I love it. The crazy 80s bar tape is brilliant. Would love to have that as a commuter and bad weather bike.

dogg

by dogg

what bar tape is that?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jdp211

by jdp211

It's NOS Cinelli mountain bar tape