Lateset build Niner Air 9 carbon R/SS 7005g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

privatejoker

by privatejoker

DSC01836-Edit-Edit.jpg

Picked up last years frame on close out and decided to ditch the gears and suspension out here on the Front Range of Colorado.
Best decision I've ever done. Currently she comes in at 7005 grams (15.43lbs)
Frame: Niner Air9 Carbon with EBB2 size small
Fork: Niner RDO
Stem: Raceface Turbine 110mm
HBar: Specialized Flat 700mm wide
Grips: ESI Chunky
Crankset: Raceface Next SL Cinch 32T
Pedals: EB 11
Cog: 20t RDO ti
Wheelset: NoTubes Valor in at 1313grams complete in 15mm front 135 QR rear.
F Tire: Rocket Ron TR w/ 2 scoops stans
R Tire: Racing Ralph TR w 2 scoops stans
Steapost: Thomson Elite 400mm
Saddle: Selle Italia XC
Brakes: XX with XX rotors
Chain: SRAM 991

possible change: new rotors Ashima? any feedback with XX brakes?

Getter

by Getter

I'm using the Ai2...and they don't brake nearly as well as the RT-86 Ice Tech I had...heck...they don't brake as well as the Alligator rotors on my GF's EMD9.

For XC use they would be fine...there is no way I'd put them on my AM bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drider85

by drider85

I have tried both the AI2 and the KCNC Razor Rotor. I have the KCNC now and it is 74g in 160mm. They were both fine for XC race type use. The AiNeon is just a little lighter but would be intriguing in floating.

If your looking to shave a little weight a masterpiece would be a lot lighter. Do you really need the 400mm length of the Elite post? Also what is the weight of the saddle?

Lastly the Valors look sweet :thumbup: How do they ride?

illnacord

by illnacord

Had the XX brakes on a 16lb Large Superfly build. They were garbage due to engagement, squeal, power, but on that particular bike, it was built for climbing so brakes didn't matter as much. I would use Shimano XTR otherwise. Nice on the Valor wheelset weight! ENVE uses brass nipples which contributes to their no maintenance value.
Single Speed Steel Bike Rider. Pro-Bike lifestyle.

DanW

by DanW

Picked up last years frame on close out and decided to ditch the gears and suspension out here on the Front Range of Colorado.
Best decision I've ever done.

It's awesome isn't it :D Having recently made the switch to rigid SS it is quite surprising how little I miss the front suspension but love the directness and simplicity. SS is love/ hate every few minutes during a ride but I've always come home with a massive smile on my face :D

Great weight on the bike and plenty of areas to drop weight. That 6.8 number would be nagging away at me :D

privatejoker

by privatejoker

Thanks for the feedback all. The saddle is 185g and while I could drop some weight there my butt digs it...although I dont stand that often climbing SS around here.

The wheels are very stiff and well made. I was using a set of stans crest at 1600g and those felt smooth at 19 psi with the rigid setup. The Valors at the same psi and tires feel like I have 25-28psi in them.
I'm only 135lbs so Im not sure if I can risk going lower with all of the rock work we have on the trails.
@illnacord, I completely agree, XX brakes are terrible but I got them below cost so I living with their crappiness. Im hoping a different rotor will make braking feel better..right now when I'm braking they sound like a train wreck..and feel like garbage. I'll probably switch them out for my Formulas R1s which are flawless.
The frame is a small and they recommend a 400. I haven't measured how much post is inside beyond the min line. I could always cut it down and save some $$ over a masterpiece.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

There must be some easy g's to be had :D

Stem -> KCNC SC Wing (110mm is 108g forn £65)
Bars -> Mt Zoom (710mm version are 118g for £95)
Seatpost -> Climax on ebay (135g for my 31.6 version, £50)
Saddle -> Tune Speedneedle (love this saddle!) or a cheapy ebay jobby like Token X-Wing (90g for £70-180)
Ti Bolts