Trek Domane 4.5 sub 7kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

GT3RS

by GT3RS

The passing years and a very dodgy neck injury have meant a change to a more sit up a beg riding position. Thought I'd try the Domane for a bit of comfort on the pockmarked roads of central Scotland.

It's a 2013 Domane 4.5 with all the bits swaped for some lighter kit I had.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123395561 ... 325889010/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123395561@N05/

First time posting pics, hope it works.

Oh, 6.68 kg with pedals and cage. I know; easy with what looks like a kids bike (50 cm).

Build list (sorry didn't get a chance to weight frame/ fork individually),

Frame Domane 4.5 50cm
Fork Domane 4 series carbon with alloy steerer
Wheels Tune Mig and Mag with cx-rays and Stans 340 rims
Shifters 2011 Sram Red
Chainset 2012 Sram Red compact
Brakes 2012 Sram Red
Front Mech Ultegra
Rear Mech Sram Rival
Cassette Sram Red OG1090 11-28
Pedals Look Keo Carbon
Bars Zipp contour SL
Seatpost New Ultimate Carbon
Saddle Antares Alloy rail
Tyres Vittoria Evo CX
Chain Shimano
Tape Lizard Skins

LBS is going to help me out with a full carbon 6 series fork, which along with a few other tweaks will get me closer to 6kg hopefully.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Congrats, and nicely done, especially given how heavy those 4-series frames tend to be for their size. Rather than swapping out the fork, I would seriously recommend getting a complete 5-series frame (or bike and parting it out). You'll definitely get below that 6kg threshhold.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT3RS

by GT3RS

Thanks, I went with the 4.5 because I couldn't get a 5 or 6 series bike or frame in 50cm - there is only stock in the UK on 52cm and up. My only option was to order through Project One and I thought I'd try a cheaper version before spending that kind of cash. You're right in an ideal world I'd have got a 5.2 and swaped the kit.

That said I'm pleased how light the 4.5 has ended up and the bendy seatpost thing is very comfy.

GT3RS

by GT3RS

Shoddy ipad picture with old Reynolds wheels.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123395561 ... 958067757/

Funny how deep sections make most bikes look better. Weight up to 6.92kg though.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Looks great. Aero wheels do carry a weight penalty, but serve a purpose.

The only changes I would recommend at this point are more asthetic than weight saving: change the saddle and headset cap to black, then trim the extra spacers above the stem. You may also want to take a look at some lighter bottle cages (I really like the RXXXL's).

mythical

by mythical

@GT3RS: Here's an image to do this post more justice. I like black and white themed bikes and I think this one looks pretty cool. Those wheels look make this bike look a lot faster. :)

How much cooler would it be if this was a sub 4.5kg Trek Domane 7 (if that series existed...) :wink:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

GT3RS

by GT3RS

@mythical many thanks, I'm too IT illiterate to figure out how to post actual pictures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com