My refinished Trek 5200

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ModelT

by ModelT

After reading the post on here of the refinished treks I finally decided to do mine. I started with the razor blade method first then finished with sanding. If anyone else tries the razor blade method I urge you to very very careful! The carbon isn't as hard as you think. Well anyway, after 3 weeks of sanding it's finally ready to be built back up. Just trying to decide between the dura ace 7800 stuff that I have or going with sram red stuff. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm digging the refinish job. It looks killer. Not sure which groupset to go with. Personally, I like Shimano for my road bikes, but it all depends on your tastes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djay001

by djay001

Nice too see an other trek 5200, i really love mine and they are noticeably lighter than lot of recent frame.

I'm just surprised with what you said about the razor technic
If anyone else tries the razor blade method I urge you to very very careful! The carbon isn't as hard as you think.

I have done this technic too, and the carbon was really harder than what i thought. The only precantion, i can say, is to place the razor blade on the good angle.

This one
blade------>
_________/___________ Carbon

ModelT

by ModelT

For the most part you're right the carbon is pretty hard. I guess I wasn't watching the angle of the blade as I nicked a few places.

ModelT

by ModelT

Thanks for the compliments! If the budget permits I'm going to build it as light as possible! What would be a good light crank to use? I'm looking at the zipp vumaquad cranks but not sure how stiff they are. I love my dura ace 7800's! You step on the pedal and the bike jumps foward, super stiff!!! Also considering the new rotor 3df cranks.

odin99

by odin99

look at the exogram 2012 sram red crankset. super light for the price (if you replace the stock rings). you can sand off the finish and it will match your frame.

ModelT

by ModelT

Ok cool. Thanks

Jamesbrown008

by Jamesbrown008

Your build looks great. I have been itching to do a similar buil since seeing yours and a few others on here.

The only thing that is stopping me is that I just slapped a new red group on my 5900 and it looks pretty damn awesome as it. Not to mention is weighs 15.8 (not including cages and pedals). Which is a pretty good weight when you consider it is a 61 cm fram itch aluminum rims and heavy ass tires

And yes, before anyone says it, SRAM Red is possibly a bit over the top for this frame but I got I the whole group new for less than a grand.

What do you guys think, should I stip it.

P.s. sorry if this is hijacking your thread.

... Edit, will post pic in next reply

OrenciaB

by OrenciaB

Wow, that UD carbon looks great! :thumbup:
Hey does all that Rapha and Hi-vis make you faster?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

ModelT, have you thought about wet sanding the frame? On closer inspection, it looks like there's some orange peel going on. In particular, look at the second to last photo you posted (it's a little blurry, so it might just be that).

Oh, and any updates? I'm interested in seeing where this is going!

IamnotWiggins

by IamnotWiggins

That room needs a clean.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Looks really good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Love seeing another Trek 5200 as well. I still have mine and found that replacing the wheels made it feel quite modern and up to date. I'd suggest finding a Dura Ace 7800 set. I think an older bike like this should have exposed cables and the 7800 is a phenomenal group. Would also suggest 3T erganova bars
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels