s-works aluminium 29er

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ophiravina

by ophiravina

hello, I had a stumpjumper comp carbon (m8) ( http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=122259 ). two weeks ago I found a crack in my frame, after sending some pics to specialized they said that its my fault and that I probably fell and the frame got hit by an object.

I was very disappointed that after 6 monthes of use, I had to buy a new frame.

the sepecialized dealer is in good relations with are team and he told me that he can give me an aluminium s-works stumpjumper to Demonstrate the company's commitment to the team...

it arrived two days ago and the weight is 1.76 kg (weighted with derailleur hanger, bottle cages bolts, and seat clamp...):

after taking all the parts of my previus frame it weighted 1.4 kg (weighted with derailleur hanger, some dust :wink: , and seat clamp. forgot to put bottle cages bolts on...):

when I built the bike I decided to put an slx casste to save some weight and improve the shifting:
previos cassete (sram 11-36) 377g:
slx cassete (11-34) 345g :

almost finished building the bike, still need to adjust the front derailleur and brakes:

after five hours I finished building the bike, this is the first time i've built a bike and I'm very happy that I did it...
I did two rides on the bike and it is very good for an aluminium bike, not stiff like the carbon frame but more comfortable and stiff enough for me :-).

my bike, with the carbon frame and the sram cassete weighted 11.18 kg. with the aluminium frame and xt casette it weight 11.38 kg . for an aluminium bike, I think that it's a good weight and it's the middle of the racing sesson so I dont have too much time to hang out at the bike shop and buying parts to lighten my bike, so also it's more havy than what I'm used to, I think that this is a very good bike and that it will be good enougth for racing at the nationals this weekend and next week (hold your fingers for me :D )

build list:
frame L sized S-WORKS stumpjumper M5 (1760g)
fork RockShox Reba RL 29 90mm
crankset SRAM S-1250 (778g)
cassette Shimano slx 11-34 (345g)
Shimano SLX shifters
RD Shimano XT Shadow Plus
FD SRAM X7
chain KMC X10
wheelset ROVAL 29 (2170g)
brakes shimano xt
rotors magura Storm SL rotors (180\160)
tyres Fast Trak Control rear, the captain control front
joe's tubeless kit
handlebar Specialized XC flat 640mm
stem specialized XC 100mm (117g)
seatpost Specialized Comp carbon (230g)
saddle aliexpress toupe (96g)
specialized rib cage *2 (72g)
pedals shimano m540 (352g)

weight: 11.38

today I had the first national race for the seeson and at the middle of the race I fell and my QR got hit by a rock and twisted on the drive side, after about a km the QR opened and I didnt noticed it. the wheel didnt sit well at it place, I felt that somthing is wrong and that the rotor is rubing the caliper, but I kept on. at the end of the lap, the wheel was really out of it place and the chain fell beetwen the cassete and the spokes,I stoped to fix it and found out that the rotor and the QR are crooked, I tried to fix it, but it took me about five minutes to do it and everyone passed me while I did it, after I fixed it I rode another lap and than went to the bicycle shop to fix my bike and get it ready for the race I have tomorow (another national race). at the bicycle shop I switched the broken QR for a heavy Santa Cruz one. I think that even if I try to brake this QR I coudn't do it haha :)
Last edited by ophiravina on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Nice bike.
There are plenty of ways to lighten it up if you feel like it.
The heaviest parts on the bike are the wheels and crankset. Save up and get an S Works crankset, find a deal on some wheels, run it 1x10 if you can, and you will probably knock 1kg off that weight.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

thank you :-) .
maybe I will buy some chinese carbon wheels and canondale crankset to shave the weight of the bike in the future.
for now I will stay with the bike as is, becouse I dont want to switch parts and do somthing wrong that will get me a DNF for technical problems...
this month I have a lot of races, maybe after it I will try to shave some weight of the bike...

this morning I had a national race (c1 level) and I got to the 10 place. the bike works really well and even if it's not stiff like the carbon frame I had, I didn't lose too much power becouse of the flex :-)
but I can feel the difference in the weight...

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Here is my 2012 Stumpjumper Evo, it is now a 2013 frame as I cracked the old one, but haven't taken a picture of the new build yet.
In that picture I believe it was right at 9.1 kg.
The aluminum frames are great, my bike wasn't slowing me down any in the races I was doing last year.
Good luck with your upcoming races.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

thank you :-)

wow, that's an awsome bike!!! and very nice weight :shock: . do you have a buildlist?
is the "evo" frame the same as the comp?

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Build list without weights
Medium SJ Evo frame
Rockshox SID World Cup
Enve Sweep bar
Zipp Service Course SL -17 stem
New Ultimate carbon post
Specialized Romin Evo Pro
XX1 group set - BB30, trigger shifter, 32t front
ESI chunkies
Enve XC wheels - with DT 36t upgrade
Rocket Ron 2.25, Specialized Renegade 1.95 rear (pictured with 2.25 Racing Ralph)
Magura MT2 with 160/140 Storm SL rotors
Crank brothers egg beater 11ti

I think that's it. The Evo frame appears to be the same as your S Works frame and the comp.

Colin

by Colin

Looks nice! Never seen the aluminum S-works. I'm guessing this isn't imported into the US. And congratulations on building your first bike!

Also, just FYI, but I'm pretty sure that's a SLX cassette. Based on the color of the cassette, it appears only 3 cogs are on a spider, whereas an XT has 6. The XT also has an aluminum lockring (yours is steel). An 11-36 XT cassette weighs around 335g as well. Not a huge deal, but if it was sold to you as an XT cassette at the regular price of an XT cassette, I would definitely be contacting them.

ophiravina

by ophiravina

Colin wrote:Looks nice! Never seen the aluminum S-works. I'm guessing this isn't imported into the US. And congratulations on building your first bike!

Also, just FYI, but I'm pretty sure that's a SLX cassette. Based on the color of the cassette, it appears only 3 cogs are on a spider, whereas an XT has 6. The XT also has an aluminum lockring (yours is steel). An 11-36 XT cassette weighs around 335g as well. Not a huge deal, but if it was sold to you as an XT cassette at the regular price of an XT cassette, I would definitely be contacting them.

thank you very much! :-)
you right, I checked the cassette model and it is HG-81, I didn't know this was the slx model and the guy told me that it is xt....
I did buy it at a good deal, but I guess I'm smarter now :( ... thank you for telling me :thumbup:

tonytourist wrote:Build list without weights
Medium SJ Evo frame
Rockshox SID World Cup
Enve Sweep bar
Zipp Service Course SL -17 stem
New Ultimate carbon post
Specialized Romin Evo Pro
XX1 group set - BB30, trigger shifter, 32t front
ESI chunkies
Enve XC wheels - with DT 36t upgrade
Rocket Ron 2.25, Specialized Renegade 1.95 rear (pictured with 2.25 Racing Ralph)
Magura MT2 with 160/140 Storm SL rotors
Crank brothers egg beater 11ti

I think that's it. The Evo frame appears to be the same as your S Works frame and the comp.

that's a really nice bike!! I dont think mine will be anywhere near this one :oops: I'm sure you enjoy riding it :)

ophiravina

by ophiravina

update:
first, after my front tire worn I changed it for a michelin wild racer 2.25 and this is a very good tire accept for the weight...
second , my carbon chinese saddle broke in a crash so I replaced it with a toupe pro
third, my rear wheel got dented so I cahaged it for a wtb wheel. It happend two days before an importent race so I didn't have time to look for an upgrade. I had to buy somthing that works and is availible. I dont know the weight of this wheel...
after those changes the bike weighted 11.6 kg

finaly, I went for a 1x10 setup so I did drop a little weight ;-)

slx shifter (132 gram):

cable (32 gram):

x7 front der (150 gram):

sram chainrings (108 gram):

I forgot to weight the new chanring before installing it. So I weighted a diffrent one in box and weighted the box.

hope chainring in box (59 gram):

chainring box (18 gram):

so the new chainring weight is 41 gram

the bike weight 11.26 kg:

vfb

by vfb

Cool bike, and a very good frame ;-)
I have a 2012 SJ comt alloy as my training/bad weather bike, and ride i all year round. The only frame i haven`t smashed, it is about to be an old one, but i love it. I think it have ridden it for nearly 7000k and still going strong!
I have changed everything except for the frame which is really scratched and it dont look good anymore, so i think i will paint it.
Anyways, the weight is around 9,7 in winter mode with a 800 gram front tire, and with heavier wheels and fox fork i had it in 9,3 kg (the fork is now a manitou 150grams more in weight but much better reliability and overall performace) So i think with summer tyres it is around 9,5 :-)
I ride for fun

ophiravina

by ophiravina

nice weight for your bike! what parts do you use to make it so light? maybe some pics?

vfb

by vfb

I will see if i can figure out some pics ;-)

Well the build is
SJ frame size L
Fork Manitou marvel pro
Specialized romin s-works saddle white (it looks like crap but i had it leftover from another bike)
specialized pro carbon seatpost (with some white on it, but got it for free so cant complain)
Syntace vector carbon 740 10mm lowriser a little heavy but bombproff and i love the shape of it
Zipp service course sl 100mm stem -17 another leftover from another bike
formula r1 brakes (maybe i will change them to r1racing as i have these laying around and cant get them sold :-/)
sram xo short rear derr
x0 gribshift grip
xx chain and cassette (a little expensive cassette, but another leftover)
RF N/W 32 tooth chainring
s-works crank ceramic bearings in the bottom bracket
pretty much ti bolts and alloy everywhere
Wheels are either LB carbon hookless with 240s hubs on revo spokes, but these are just temporary as they are from my sj fsr which is out of order for a while. Wrapped in maxxis ikon 2.2 rear and beaver 2.25 in the front, with latex tubes and xx 140 160mm discs
Or mud wheels/training wheels are funworks amride rims dt revo spokes on 240 hubs wrapped in beaver 2.0 tyres with latex tubes.
The weight in nearly identical as the beaver 2.25 tyre is around 800 grams so that will make it up for the ligter wheels (around 250 grams if i remember correctly) but since it is winter around here i need something grippy up front :-)
I ride for fun

ophiravina

by ophiravina

thank you :-)
sound like a realy nice bike, waiting for the photos ;-)
I still have some changes I need to do on my bike, I will add 40t cog in the back and maybe I will buy racing wheelset and wider bar. right now I'm building a new road bike so I wont do those changes for now...

vfb

by vfb

It is indeed :-)

Here are some bad phone pictures, 2 hours into my 4 hour ride (70k) from today :-)
It is with the LB carbon wheels, holy moly a difference the increased stiffenes from the wheels make! Much faster steering and less squirmy in the corners, i have only ridden carbon wheels on FS bikes before. This was the second ride with them on my HT and i really pushed the bike today!

I can only reccomend a wider bar, it makes you go deeper in the corners and a way more stable bike!
As for wheels i can also reccomend LB carbon rims with 240 hubs, they could be made cheaper with other hubs. But the 240 hubs are just so realible and works for years without any service!
I am very impressed with these wheels, they are light (1440grams) stiff and wide. I have smashed them around on big table tops on my SJ FSR going too long on jumps smashed them into rocks roots a lot of times without any sign of use :-)
In my opinion they are better than the roval control SL i had before, sold them because of the bad relaibility in the front hub!
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2014-11-02 kl. 17.57.42.png
Skærmbillede 2014-11-02 kl. 18.05.35.png
I ride for fun

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com