My Cervelo R3

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

goodboyr

by goodboyr

"Old School". No BBright, no tall head tube, not too much extra paint.

Internal Di2
Quarq Rotor 3D
Zipp Firecrest 404's (Beyond Black)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Nice! Good job on internal Di2. Needs black chainrings. Where in Canada are you if I may ask?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

That has always been the best paint scheme for Cervelo's in my opinion; it just looks mean :twisted:

I agree on the black chain rings, that would really tie it all together nicely.

Also how do you like the Quarq? I just ordered mine and I'm really excited to give it a try!

schmiken

by schmiken

Can I have a close up of the internalising please!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I love it, but then I am partial to R3s!

Please provide us with a complete build list and current weight, thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

schmiken wrote:Can I have a close up of the internalising please!

You're right about looking nicer with black chainrings. But I decided to go for shifting quality over looks. The 7900 chainrings with Di2, give you front shifting that is quite amazing.

Quarq is fantastic. Have had it for over a year now and I check the cal periodically using static weights and it continues to be spot on.

Build list and weights coming shortly. Thanks!

I'm in Thornhill, Ontario.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Build list:

2012 Zipp 404 Firecrest Tubulars, Beyond Black, Zipp black steel skewers, Continental Grand Prix 4000SR tubulars
3T Ergonova Team 44 cm carbon bars
3T Funda fork
Specialized Toupe 130 seat
3T Dorico LTD 27.2 carbon seatpost
Alien seatpost shim
FSA OS 99 120mm -6deg stem
Quarq 3D powermeter cranks, Dura Ace 7900 53/39 chainrings
Dura Ace 7900 pedals
Dura Ace 7901 chain
Ultegra 6700 11-25 cassette
Zipp carbon bottle cages
Handlebra black leather bar tape
Cateye remote buttons modded as climbing buttons for Dura ace Di2
Full Dura Ace di2 shifting system, internal cabling
Dura Ace 7900 brake calipers
Standard Di2 battery mount modified for under BB (will be installing internal seatpost battery system in next month)
Garmin Edge 800 mounted on Aspire Velotech Pro Carbon mount

All in weight 7.33 kg. (16.15 lbs)

Here's a pic of the handlebar area with the Cateye remote shifting buttons:

Last edited by goodboyr on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

superleggera

by superleggera

How do you like the computer mount? I'm considering ordering one. Thanks!

jmilliron

by jmilliron

This is a great build. Well done.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

goodboyr

by goodboyr

superleggera wrote:How do you like the computer mount? I'm considering ordering one. Thanks!

It's awesome. Well constructed, solid mount. They now have a wider version as well, if you need to mount more than the usual. But for me the standard width is perfect, and puts the computer in your line of sight.

ps. Just finished the internal battery install, so no more battery under the BB. Yes!!

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Nice work on the Di2. I'm connecting the cateye buttons on my bike now too. A pain to play with such small and fragile cables. Which battery didi you get? I got mine at 45g and it fits well, but I want lighter.

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

I loved the R3.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

krzysiekmz wrote:Nice work on the Di2. I'm connecting the cateye buttons on my bike now too. A pain to play with such small and fragile cables. Which battery didi you get? I got mine at 45g and it fits well, but I want lighter.

Chris.

I went with the Tenergy 1200 mah. So, I went from 128 gm for the stock di2 battery and bottle cage adapter harness to 84 gms for the internal battery plus wire connector. I bought the battery and wire from "di2diy". Here's a picture of the battery and cable:

As for the Cateye buttons, I wrote up some tips on how to do this. As you've observed, the wires are very small and fragile. Mechanical methods for stripping the insulation don't work. I use a small battery powered soldering iron and use that to melt off the insulation. I've copied the tips that I posted on the fairwheel forum below:

I just did the wiring connecting the Cateye buttons to the STI shifters extra plug using the Shimano extension cables. The Cateye buttons come as pairs. You cut off the little junction connector and you've got a pair of cables, one for each button. Inside the cable is an uninsulated wire, and an insulated one (either red or white depending on the button). The Shimano extension cable has 4 wires : blue, red, black and green. Connect the two Cateye uninsulated wires together and to the green shimano wire, connect the red Cateye wire to either the red or black shimano wire, connect the white Cateye wire to either the red or black shimano wire that was not connected to the red Cateye wire. Blue wire is not connected to anything. So, in summary:
Cateye wires Shimano Wires
Bare Green
Red Red
White Black

Since the cateye buttons are separate, once you connect things up, push the buttons and you will see which is up and which is down. The nice thing about the Cateye buttons is that they have the number 1 or 2 on the button, making them easy to identify.

A couple of tips.
I soldered and heatshrinked all connections. The wires are so small that twisting is not a great connection. Each of the wires appears to have a small plastic fibre type wire running intermingled with it. So the trick i used was a cheap battery powered soldering iron. I used that to melt the insulation, melt the plastic fibre, and tin the leads all in one shot. Made doing the connections very easy.

Be very careful removing the outer sheath from these cables. The wires inside are small and easily nicked and damaged. As well, use the tip above to melt off the inner insulation covering individual wires, don't try to mechanically strip and pull the insulation, you'll just break off the wire too.

di2diy

by di2diy

goodboyr wrote:
krzysiekmz wrote:Nice work on the Di2. I'm connecting the cateye buttons on my bike now too. A pain to play with such small and fragile cables. Which battery didi you get? I got mine at 45g and it fits well, but I want lighter.

Chris.

I went with the Tenergy 1200 mah. So, I went from 128 gm for the stock di2 battery and bottle cage adapter harness to 84 gms for the internal battery plus wire connector. I bought the battery and wire from "di2diy". Here's a picture of the battery and cable:

As for the Cateye buttons, I wrote up some tips on how to do this. As you've observed, the wires are very small and fragile. Mechanical methods for stripping the insulation don't work. I use a small battery powered soldering iron and use that to melt off the insulation. I've copied the tips that I posted on the fairwheel forum below:

I just did the wiring connecting the Cateye buttons to the STI shifters extra plug using the Shimano extension cables. The Cateye buttons come as pairs. You cut off the little junction connector and you've got a pair of cables, one for each button. Inside the cable is an uninsulated wire, and an insulated one (either red or white depending on the button). The Shimano extension cable has 4 wires : blue, red, black and green. Connect the two Cateye uninsulated wires together and to the green shimano wire, connect the red Cateye wire to either the red or black shimano wire, connect the white Cateye wire to either the red or black shimano wire that was not connected to the red Cateye wire. Blue wire is not connected to anything. So, in summary:
Cateye wires Shimano Wires
Bare Green
Red Red
White Black

Since the cateye buttons are separate, once you connect things up, push the buttons and you will see which is up and which is down. The nice thing about the Cateye buttons is that they have the number 1 or 2 on the button, making them easy to identify.

A couple of tips.
I soldered and heatshrinked all connections. The wires are so small that twisting is not a great connection. Each of the wires appears to have a small plastic fibre type wire running intermingled with it. So the trick i used was a cheap battery powered soldering iron. I used that to melt the insulation, melt the plastic fibre, and tin the leads all in one shot. Made doing the connections very easy.

Be very careful removing the outer sheath from these cables. The wires inside are small and easily nicked and damaged. As well, use the tip above to melt off the inner insulation covering individual wires, don't try to mechanically strip and pull the insulation, you'll just break off the wire too.

Nice to see you've finished your project, and it's clean... Also cool to see you plug (pun intended) my setup, thanks!

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Also, the rear brake cable flows nicely with the top tube graphics. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com