light clincher road wheel set - help lighten my Argon

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

odin99

by odin99

what kind of budget are you looking at?

eventually that shimano 105 stuff has to be switched to sram. start with the brakes (what deltree said) and a exogram crankset w/aftermarket rings.

eventually shifters / RD to red or force...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

How to lose the most weight with spending the least?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Chop off the excess steerer tube and if the seatpost has excess length, chop that off too. These 2 are basically free.

Most effective weight loss for least $$$ ? Get lighter tyres and tubes.

Krackor

by Krackor

Save 40-50g with a lighter chain ~$40-50. 1$/g is pretty cheap.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I'd see if you can get someone to buy all your 105 parts and wheels for a cheap build.

Then you can really get serious and creative... but it will cost. Look at stuff that is in $1/g range (relative to what you have) first... and see where you are. What does it weigh now?
formerly rruff...

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ANV

by ANV

Thank's guys!

I already chopped the steerer tube of. I don't want to cut of the seat post because I might still grow a bit and you always have to keep the resale in mind.
Yes it is a Blackburn! It saved me many times my way home! I don't want to change to Sram. I like it but I prefer Campagnolo or Dura ace. Although they are heavier. But that's all preference. All of them are good. I think I will upgrade my break clips next to soma DA. I could trade a stem I had flying around to a Zipp Service Course SL which will save me another 20g. Then I will change the inner tubes. Several people mentioned that I should change my tubes? Aren't the 4000s any good. I will go to scale my bike again after these changes. I think I should get under 8kg.

ANV

by ANV

Eat properly, train properly, gain muscle mass, go faster.[/quote]

I was also shocked when I typed my kg hight and age in the computer.. But I don't feel unhealthy. I think for a cyclist living in Switzerland with many steep climbs a sub 20 BMI is optimal. But I could gain some more muscles!! :D

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

There are plenty of posts regarding losing weight on your bike. However, to narrow it down for you, focus first on wheels, then on your components. That's where you will lose the most amount of weight. 105 is pretty hefty compared to Ultegra, and 6700 can be had for pretty cheap nowadays. If you want to spring for 11-speed, some websites are practically blowing it out (check Merlin Cycles, that's the lowest price I've found). 6800 is reliable, relatively lightweight and getting cheaper by the day.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

If you're still looking into wheels.... I built a set of Stans Alpha 340 rims onto Chris King R45's with Sapim Laser spokes and alloy nipples this summer and the pair came in at around 1375g.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

If your bike is really 8kg you have a long way to go. Don't upgrade to DA calipers... they aren't light. You have to be careful with each part. The Planet X calipers are cheap and light and most people think the performance is more than fine.

If you want to get light, sell all the 105 parts and the wheels, or use them on another bike.

Vred latex tubes, 50g. Not just for weight... they really are faster.

I'd keep the GP4000S on the back just for practicality. Maybe put an Attack on the front and save ~20g.

You can get Campy shifters (Chorus 11 are light and a decent value) and use either Shimano or Campy rear derailleurs, but if you mix and match you need to compensate for different ratios, usually. I run C11 shifters and an old DA rear der and run S9 cassettes... perfect shifting. If you want to stick with S10, add a jtek shiftmate and it will be perfect. If you are getting new wheels anyway and want S11 or C11, just get a Campy rear der... spacing on S11 and C11 is nearly identical.

You can get below 1300g wheels with some Stan's 340 rims and lightish hubs. They would even be pretty cheap if you used Taiwan hubs. Get some <50g skewers.

If you want to stick with Shimano pedals, look at Ultegra carbon. Else look at lighter alternatives.

Carbon bars... lots of options <200g.

Cranks? People seem to like Sram Red for decent weight and price.
formerly rruff...

deltree

by deltree

Quinn039 wrote:If you're still looking into wheels.... I built a set of Stans Alpha 340 rims onto Chris King R45's with Sapim Laser spokes and alloy nipples this summer and the pair came in at around 1375g.

CK hubs are extremely nice but the bang for buck is way off. Hope Mono RS weight 386g a pair just 69g heavier than the Chris Kings. Also I could get the Hope hubs, lightweight skewers AND the Stans Alphas for the cost of the CK hubs with enough left over for tyres.

ANV

by ANV

WMW wrote:
You can get below 1300g wheels with some Stan's 340 rims and lightish hubs. They would even be pretty cheap if you used Taiwan hubs. Get some <50g skewers.

Thank's fore sharing your thought's!!

Do you have any experience with the stan's 340? Will I feel a difference in the stiffness and most important in the breaking performance? Or are all the alloy braking surfaces on the same level?

I know that the stiffness will be different due too the spokes I'll lace them up too. What would you suggest?

Best,
Amadeus

Quinn039

by Quinn039

deltree wrote:
Quinn039 wrote:If you're still looking into wheels.... I built a set of Stans Alpha 340 rims onto Chris King R45's with Sapim Laser spokes and alloy nipples this summer and the pair came in at around 1375g.

CK hubs are extremely nice but the bang for buck is way off. Hope Mono RS weight 386g a pair just 69g heavier than the Chris Kings. Also I could get the Hope hubs, lightweight skewers AND the Stans Alphas for the cost of the CK hubs with enough left over for tyres.

oh absolutely they are expensive. Just figured id share my experiences... the rims at least area bout the lightest you can go for alu clinchers.... mine have been flawless. laced 20, 24 (radial, and radial/2x). braking has been fine, same as any other alu rim really, no difference from the Ksyriums i replaced.

I weigh in at about 150lbs.