Silver Stealth Fixed [Sub 5kg but parted out]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pam

by pam

Finished the build under 5kg/11lbs and rode 20km on it. It rides great but I think a bit shorter stem and a more flat bar angle would be better. These bars are not very comfortable for riding on the tops because of the downward swoop.
The Cannondale top cap needed some filing on the upper fins to get them to fit into the steerer tube.
On these rims the tires measure 25 and 26.5 mm which is awesome for sub 1300g wheels. I wonder how wide the puncture stip is and if the extra tire width makes punctures more likely.

Link to Imgur album with more photos

Xpedo R-Force Ti XRF06TT single sided SPD pedals are 164g for the pair and around $160 on eBay. I wouldn't recommend these for most people riding SPD but for weight weenie purposes they work great and are very light.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pam

by pam

Looking back on this build I'm really happy with about half the parts selected but the overall execution is a failure. Even with the horrible stem angle from the pictures this bike wasn't what I wanted to be riding so I'm parting it out.

The combination of the too small frame and the pre-cut fork I bought to try to cut costs meant I couldn't get the position I wanted. Adding in the delicate frame, compromised bullhorn ergonomics, and annoying one sided pedals; trying to over WW this build on a budget made it really miss its mark.

craciunptr

by craciunptr

How did it ride ?

you could have had a no carbon under 5k bike :))

Amazing project and I wish I had your patience to rebuild my commuter under 5 kg. Are you selling the wheelset?

pam

by pam

Finally got around to finding uses for all the pieces from this build. Some of them are up for action now if you search ebay.

The wheelset was shipped to craciunptr. They stayed very true and seemed more durable than I was expecting so I hope they see lots of use. I liked the rim profile of the American Classic RD 2218 rims. The Mack hub is the nicest bicycle component I've every held. The bearings spun beautifully while feeling indestructible and the whole hub had zero detectable play and looked perfectly toleranced.

The DA7800 crankset and DA9000 BB are beautiful and ended up on my road commuter bike. I put a 75g 44T 130mm J&L narrow wide ring from ebay on it paired with an 11-32 cassette.

I would not recommend the small 39 x 14t gears for fixed gear. The chain had a bit of extra vibration in it from using such a small rear cog and 11 speed chain and I think a more traditional track chainring and chain is a better idea.

The combination of the Easton EA90 SL fork and the Hylix left the front end feeling flexy. I'm pretty sure it was mostly the bars but I've read this fork is also on the compliant side. There was too much flex when pulling up the bars going up hills and accelerate in a high gear.

The 54 cm race frame was too aggressive for me. I can ride a 54 cm bike with a taller head tube and some spacers but this short head tube wasn't what I wanted. I found the frame very stiff even though it is so thin. It's possible to squeeze the tubing with a finger and thumb and see it flex. I think this frame could make a good race bike but I enjoy my more comfortable 54 cm H2 Emonda SL for every day.