Silver Stealth Fixed [Sub 5kg but parted out]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pam

by pam

Hello, I've been keeping busy this school term with a winter project using generic online parts.
Used aluminum road frame with alloy clinchers and carbon where possible. Things like the crank, frame etc. are purposely chosen to be low key with few logos. Most of the 3K weave will probably be given a light coat of black paint. It's too cold to work outside now so we'll see how I feel about sanding and modding after school is over.
I've been taking scale shots of everything so far so I'll start the work of posting them now.

Aiming at the 5 kg / 11 lb range for daily use in good weather.

EDIT: 4.94kg = 10lbs 14oz

EDIT: weights updated (~for estimated weights)

Code: Select all

Frame                Fuji-Teschner Scandium    1017
Fork                 Easton EA90 SL (cut)       305
Expander+cap         Cannondale SI               15
Spacer               10 mm carbon                 5
Headset              Cane Creek 10               86
Seat clamp           KCNC SC9 30.7               13
Seatpost             Hylix SL 27.2 tuned        113
Seat                 eBay carbon                 95
Stem                 Uno7 110 mm -Ti bolts      103
Bar                  Hylix TT bullhorn 40cm     139
Bartape+plugs        Soma 2.5mm                  27
Bottle bolts         Nylon x 4                    3
Cable                Shimano                     25
Brake                Planet X CNC               106
Crankset             DA 7800 170 mm             508
BB                   DA 9000 -no tube            60
Chainring            130 mm 39 tooth             30
Chainring bolts      Alloy single ring            8
Chain                DA 9000                    208
Brake lever          Tektro RL720 tuned          37
Cog                  DA 14t track                30
Pedals               Xpedo XRF06TT spd          164

Wheelset ~1275g:
Front:
Rim:                 AC 2218 24-hole            377
Hub                  Novatec A291SB-SL           59
Spokes               Laser 287 mm               114
Nipples              Polyax 12 mm                 9
Rim tape             Veloplugs                    4
Tube                 Michelin Ultra Light        75
Tire                 Fusion 3 X-Light 23        183
Air                  100 psi                      5                           
Skewer               J&L Ti -tuned               10
Rear:
Rim:                 AC 2218 28-hole            376
Hub                  Mack rear track            207
Spokes               Laser 289 mm               135
Nipples              Polyax 12 mm                10
Rim tape             Veloplugs                    5
Tube                 Michelin Ultra Light        75
Tire                 Diamante Pro Radial 24     196
Air                  100 psi                      5     

Total                                           4939 grams on my scale
Last edited by pam on Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:12 am, edited 43 times in total.

pam

by pam

1526g 50 cm Nashbar Nekkid frame with fork ends. Round tubes, low key paint and fairly light. Weighed with the steel inserts screwed in the forks but no other pieces/fasteners.

509g Dura-Ace 7800 170 mm crank arms. I didn't want carbon and these are fairly classic looking which fits the build.

139g SRAM Red 2011 style front brake. Might try a Panet-X CNC sometime but this is good enough for now.

26g J&L Ti bolt on skewers from eBay. There is a washer on the hex head, an O-ring inside the nut to hold it in place, and the Ti shafts narrow nicely through the center portion. There are also springs included. 12g front, 14g rear. I checked my scales calibration with some coins and it reads a gram high if anything.

64g Nashbar steel bolt on skewers. I'll probably end up using one to clamp the rear hub.

86g Cane Creek 10 headset. It has a plastic crown race and top split ring so it is lighter and cheaper than the standard 40 headset.

15 g Cannondale cap and expander.

141g Hylix carbon TT bullhorns in 40 cm. They are lighter than advertised and feel very good. The clamp area has clamping grit in the clear coat and there are holes on the bottom for brake and shift cables. About 28 mm center to center drop on the horns and 150 mm center to tip reach. The horns are a bit stubby because of the flare and curve where they join the flats, I'll have to see how they ride.

148g Hylix carbon 27.2 x 400mm seatpost. Red anodized was cheaper, I'll probably figure out how to black it out. It feels much stronger than I was expecting, I was worried when I felt it in my hand that it was the wrong item but the post without hardware is only 102g. The hardware appears to be Ti and is very nicely machined to allow the bolts to pivot in the aluminum bar. I'll probably cut at least 80mm off, maybe 130g final weight?

10g Dual band 31.8 seatpost collar from eBay.

39g Redline 15 tooth track cog. I didn't find any 15t cogs drilled out like the 16t and larger sizes often are so I may drill this one myself depending on how hard the steel is.
Last edited by pam on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theosaurus

by theosaurus

Looking forward to this one, I like the idea of a weight weenie commuter.
yes, but how much does it weigh?

pavaobg

by pavaobg

Intresting project.

pam

by pam

Novatec A291SB-SL
24-hole front hub
59 grams with two 689RS bearings (9x17x5)
From BDop Cycling in Taiwan. $40 hub with $5 2-day shipping.

A comparison with some other similar hubs:

Code: Select all

HUB            BEARINGS      ID x OD x W (mm)    F-F (mm)
A291SB-SL      689RS  x2     9x17x5              68
BHS ULF66      688    x4     8x16x5              67
BHS SLF85W     6900   x2     10x22x6             78.5
AC Micro 58    688    x2     8x16x5              71

pam

by pam

This build just when up a notch, dropping over one pound (at least 446 g) with a Scandium road frame. I found a 2000-2003 era Fuji Team Issue race frame on eBay with semi-horizontal dropouts and a silver repaint and had to have it. From what I've been able to find out it was made for Fuji by Teschner in Australia using Easton Scandium tubes.

It's a 54 cm frame and with cage bolts, derailer hanger, shift cable adjusters, and a few layers of cling wrap it weighs only 1080g on my scale. It will be even lighter after ditching the hanger and adjusters and a good rinse out with soap water to clean the coat of oily dust inside the seat tube. I was expecting around 1180 g so this is a nice surprise and will put the build in the 5.4 kg range.

Here is the eBay listing for temporary photos since I haven't taken the cling wrap off yet:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191089603864?ssP ... 1497.l2649
Last edited by pam on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

pam

by pam

This is the fork, a CNT Easton EC90 SL with 170 mm of steerer weighing 307 g. I got it used from eBay trying to get an EC90 SLX because that is one of the only sub 300 g forks that can found cheap used. The seller sent me this instead but did refund some money.

Now I'm wondering if I should go with a sturdier Pacenti SL23 rear rim for the build. The XR19W rim is less than half the price and is 40g lighter but the SL23 is stiffer and gives an extra 3 mm of width for more tire volume (probably worth the 40 g compared to running a bigger tire). I want to try the XR19W rear to experiment with the durability of cheaper rims but having a XR19W front and SL23 rear would let me try out two different brands. Either way I'm trying to keep this more practical than 250 g china rims with Vittoria crono tubulars...

topgun23

by topgun23

I really like this idea and have been searching for a Seta frame at a good price, but seeing this one its given me some more options.

pam

by pam

Tires are chosen to be on the light side of things while still having an anti-puncture strip. There is a light version of the Diamante that is the same tire but with half the rubber (and tread life) but my standard Diamante is well under specified weight. Light tires will wear out faster and puncture more frequently than proper commuting tires but they were under $30 each from Planet X and my commute is only 12 km most days. I'm running 38C touring tires on my drop bar commuter which I love but the point of this bike is to be different from that setup.

Front: 23c Hutchinson Fusion 3 X-Light at 183 g
Rear: 24c Diamante Pro Radial at 196 g

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 BB at 68 g

Michelin AirComp Ultra Light Butyl 23c tube at 75 g (scale zeroed with box)
Michelin AirComp Latex 23C at 79 g
Last edited by pam on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Miller

by Miller

Nice tyres both but not the most robust for a commuter bike.

pam

by pam

This build keeps getting lighter on paper but I still have 1 month to wait for the Mack rear hub, apparently it usually takes 7-8 weeks to get a hub. I tried to order AC 2218 rims but not sure if anyone (with cheap shipping) has them. Work continues.
- removed the derailleur hanger, cable adjusters, and water bottle bolts from the frame and only saved 25g. The frame has full external cable stops but I think I'll leave those on.
- sanded the logos off the Hylinx bullhorn in preparation for painting. Removing the logos only saved 3g so I probably should have just roughed it up without taking the time to get the logos off.
- Ti bolts from Toronto cycles that save 10g off a Uno road stem
- tuned the Tektro CX top lever with a titanium hinge pin (6mm dia, cut from a bolt), an aluminum cable adjuster (Toronto cycles), an aluminum clamp bolt (M5 x 12mm), and a bit of filing which dropped 9g.
- cut the unthreaded parts off the front QR nuts, dropped from 12g to 10g

pam

by pam

54cm traditional geo Fuji-Teschner Scandium frame at 1017g with no hardware on the frame at all.
This frame feels like it is made of tin cans but the welds and butting look nice. The eBay seller said it was 2.6 lbs (1179g) but it is about 1042g with derailer hanger, cable adjusters, and Al bottle cage bolts.

80mm Uno 6 Stem from Bi King on eBay
M5x17.5 narrow head Ti bolts from Toronto Cycles drop 10g off steel bolts

pam

by pam

The Mack low flange track hub is exactly like I was expecting, feels very well made and weight is right on at 191 grams. Their website didn't mention how long it would take so I ended up sending a deposit and then asking when to expect the hub. "The waiting time is about 7-8 weeks" they said. I finally have the hub a bit over 12 weeks from sending the specs for what I wanted. It isn't that bad considering each hub is made to order with custom colors etc., but it is a major downside compared to mass produced hubs. Too bad no one else makes a track hub at this weight. With spacers and longer bolts for 130mm rear spacing weight is 207 g.

BmanX

by BmanX

I can't wait to see this build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

argus

by argus

Can't wait to see the progress!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com