FM066SL - In case of doubt, just go black (Completed)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

trychle

by trychle

Some teasing..

EDIT:

Finally got around to finishing this yet to be named bike! It took a while as it actually my first completely self-build bike.

This build started by deciding against buying a brand-name frame, and buy a FM066Sl frame instead. In this way I could build a very well equipped bike without spending too much. This choice was of course aided by the countless number of positive reviews for this frame on this forum, along with the fact that I just simply preferred the simplistic look of the frame over many (sometimes much more expensive) brand-name frames.

Even though I really liked the look of the plain frame, I still wanted it to stand out from the bunch. For this reason the original idea was to paint it dove-grey. This idea was, however, quickly eliminated as I could not decide on the precise colour and was unable to see any samples. In order to make it still stand out from the bunch of other Chinese open mould frames, I ordered some Sharpie paint pens. In this way I am able to ride a 'different' bike every day of the week, with a little bit of help of some acetone and (lacking) artistic skills. :thumbup:

The target for this bike was to build a bike that was suitable for both racing (first year U23) and climbing, that would not make me go broke in case of an accident. In short, it should be light and reliable, as well as to have no superfluous expensive parts (I really like that last target.. :mrgreen: ).

Build list:

Photos:

Oh.. :oops: I just realised I have photos of every single component on the scale, except for the complete bike.. Will add this infamous photo tomorrow!
Last edited by trychle on Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I love matte black. Looking forward to this.

Any chance you weighed and can weigh the SRAM Red cranks just like that, without rings and bolts? Would love to get that weight for my build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trychle

by trychle

Ask and you shall receive!

(175mm, BSA)

drainyoo

by drainyoo

You're a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for that.

What kind of frame are you building up? Cervelo?

trychle

by trychle

Do you mean a scholar, as in:
A) learned person, especially in the humanities

Or
B) a person, especially a child, who studies; pupil

By telling you that I am the latter (I do find humanities quite interesting though..), you can probably figure out that this is not a Cervelo but a Chinese open mould. :wink:

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

No photos, updates?

trychle

by trychle

It's almost finished!

Had a hard time passing some exams.. and waiting for more parts..

trychle

by trychle

It's almost ready to see the light of day (or artificial light in this case).

LiKuid

by LiKuid

Loving the detailed build threads of "no name" chinese frames.
I am not sold yet on their ride quality, but i would like to try and build one in the near future and see for myself.
Bike is looking great btw. Keep the pics coming and when you get to ride it, post anreview as well

michel2

by michel2

im intrested to see how you would rated against your current bike,( let us know what that is )
in a world of unlimited funds i would have one of those in my fleet (-:

rasmussloth

by rasmussloth

Lookoing forward to see it in daylight.

What's still missing?

pavaobg

by pavaobg

Black is allways nice!

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Can you tell me what size is your frame and what is your BB to saddle height.

I am about to buy one and can't decide the size. Aesthetics is the main concern so I want to know how much seat post outside the frame is looking good :D

Yours is quite good and can be a reference point for me :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trychle

by trychle

Well.. I still need to attach the front derailleur cable and adjust the rear derailleur. So, basically, it is already finished.
I'm going to update the first post with the build list soon and will take some decent pictures this weekend.

Michel: I've been riding bikes of a small dutch bicycle brand for the last 2 years, so my opinion is probably not of much use to you.

Toffie: I had exactly the same concern as you. I really liked the look of the 54cm frame, but with my 180cm it probably wouldn't fit me well (it probably would though, but I did not want to take any unnecessary risk). Therefore I went with the 56cm frame. The BB to saddle height (Romin evo pro saddle) is 748mm. It's looking just fine, but I would have prefered to see a little more of the seatpost.

EDIT: updated the first post with a build list.