Cannondale Supersix HM - Custom Stealth Paint

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Meatball
in the industry

by Meatball

Hello all,

I just finished a build on a frame i have wanted for a long time. It is even more special since I took the time to get the frame custom painted. I had the frame stripped to the carbon, then had custom gunmetal decals painted on the frame, finished with a matte clear.

So this is a new frameset, new crank, old parts. I didnt have enough cash to buy/paint the frame AND buy a new groupo. So this is what i could do. Before anyone mentions it, I know I'm braking some "rules" using a SRAM crank on this build, however, Campy doesnt make a BB30 option, and my buddy made me an offer i couldnt refuse for a brand new SRAM RED 2013 11spd crank. Oh, by the way, the crank was finished with the same clear as the frame!

Build is as follows:

Frame: Cannondale 2011 Supersix HM, 50cm
Fork: Frame: Cannondale 2011 Supersix HM
Crank: SRAM Red 11spd
Groupo: Chorus 10spd 2007
Seatpost: Easton EC70
Stem: Ritchey WCS, 100mm
Bar: Deda Zero100, 44cm
Cables/Housing: Nokon, black
Saddle: Specialized Romin Pro, carbon rail, 143
Pedals: Speedplay Zero, Stainless
Wheels: Hed Stinger 7, tubulars, 70mm
Tires: Conti Sprinters (i ride tubular everyday, i have several sets)
Bottle Cage: Arundel Dave-O
Misc 1: K-Edge Garmin mount
Misc 2: K-Edge chain catcher
MIsc 3: Parlee derailleur mount
Misc 4: Carbon seat post clamp

TOTAL WEIGHT (as shown): 7.0kg

Hope you like it!

Cheers,
Meat Ball
Attachments
Murdered out!
Murdered out!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Looks awesome! Mind if I ask where you got the decals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Meatball
in the industry

by Meatball

Thanks.
The decals are actually painted right onto the frame. The photo doesnt do it justice.

mpower

by mpower

You sure your Red crank is the 11s version?

Meatball
in the industry

by Meatball

@mpower - Yep, its 11spd. Before having it painted, the crank had several serial numbers on it indicating 11spd. Plus the chainrings have 11spd stamped on it. Shifts just fine with the 10spd chain.

mpower

by mpower

Meatball wrote:@mpower - Yep, its 11spd. Before having it painted, the crank had several serial numbers on it indicating 11spd. Plus the chainrings have 11spd stamped on it. Shifts just fine with the 10spd chain.

That's good. That means that your LBS buddy has already gotten the Red 22 in! Mind to share his contact?

Meatball
in the industry

by Meatball

Actually my buddy works for SRAM. I asked him about Red 22, and he said i was lucky to get my hands on these. Sorry.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok. That's nice.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Meatball, who painted the frame?
Looks good!

Meatball
in the industry

by Meatball

@ tonytourist

Thanks. i really need to post more hi-res photos, it really does look way better than my crummy cellphone pic, but it was all i could manage before starting a work trip.

Paint was done by Joe's Carbon Solutions (http://joescarbonrepair.com/).

I met them while walking around at Sea Otter this year and I'm very pleased with how the frame turned out. I had shopped around for a few weeks before deciding to work with Joe. I looked at the usual suspects, but most everyone else was either way more expensive, or said they wouldnt do the paint job that i wanted. The issue was that the frame was completely covered in paint and no carbon was exposed, and i wanted it all removed. Most of the other paint shops i talked to said they would not do this due to the fear the carbon would look like crap underneath. That wasnt a problem for Joe, AND he had a 2 week turn around AND a better price!

Another cool detail about the clear coat is that it is fortified with a durable, chip resistant additive. So I should have miles and miles of blemish free paint providing i dont do something stupid.

I highly recommend them to anyone looking to have a frame repaired and/or painted.

Cheers,
Meatball

deek

by deek

Did you weigh the frame before and after?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Looks good.
Why did you paint the crank arms? Why not remove the graphics & clearcoat and save a little weight instead of adding weight?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Meatball
in the industry

by Meatball

@deek - I did weigh the frame before hand, but i didnt record it. From what i can recall, it was around 900g-ish for the frame, fork was about 325g-ish. After paint i weighed the frame and fork, and remembered to take a pic. After paint, the frame was 839g completely bare of hardware, and the fork was 308g.

@prenrefeu - Thanks! Regarding the crank, I wanted the crank to match the frame, so i had it clear coated with the same finish. Besides, this build was not about the ultimate weight weenie build. If it was, i would have bought far more exotic parts, providing the funds were available. But I had a particular look I wanted to achieve, and I got it!

Besides, if i took a crap before every ride, i would shed more weight in that single sitting than the amount of clear coat that was added to the crank.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Meatball wrote:Besides, if i took a crap before every ride, i would shed more weight in that single sitting than the amount of clear coat that was added to the crank.

Oh jeez, I wish you didn't write that. It just perpetuates illogical thinking.

Actually, no on two accounts:
First, have you measured the weight of an average adult male's fecal deposit? It's more than the weight of clear coat, but does not negate permanent total system weight, only transient.

Second, the argument itself isn't valid because you're citing variables which are not fixed nor exclusive to any model - and you're on Weight Weenies! Folks who know the weight differences in paint colors!

Guy A has 17lb bike, bitched to Guy B about Guy B's 10lb bike with statements such as "What about water bottles? Do you use ultra light water? What if I just took a dump before I rode my bike?"
So let's take a look at Guy A's arguments in actual reality:
Guy A = 170lb man + 17lb bike ; Guy B = 170lb man + 10lb bike.
Guy A takes a dump, looses .7lbs (avg is ~.320g for adult males worldwide)
Guy B also takes a dump, looses .7lbs.
Guess what? Guy B's total system weight is still lighter.

Guy A uses two full water bottles -> 170lb man + 17lb bike + 44oz of water (2x 1.3lbs) -> 189.6lb system weight
Guy B also uses two full water bottles -> 170lb man + 10lb bike + 44oz of water (2 x 1.3lbs) -> 182.6lb system weight

Does weight matter? Over short distances and velodrome-like situations, not really. Over long distances and varying terrain? Certainly.
If I told you that you had a choice: You'll need to hike 100miles on a mountain trail, either carry a 10lb piece of metal or a 1lb piece of metal on your journey. Both metal choices are entirely functional, equally prone to failure or success, and will be used equally well for their purpose on your hike. Which would you choose?

... but anyway, nice bike.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Nice bike.

Prend, why can't you just accept that sometimes people want to add a dash of paint to customise their ride? Being in design and all? Sure the forum is called weightweenies, but we also talk about training, pro cycling and whatnot.