FTW Crit Killer (Updated 6/6/2014)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Rode down to my favorite shop to use the hanging scale. Bike is right aronud 7kg with cages, pedals etc. This is with rubino pros and standard tubes. Getting this below 6.8 without compromise is pretty easy with parts on hand. There's about 300g of weight savings by swapping out my custom arione for chapo carbon saddle, installing some ultralight tubes and swaping the rubino pros for gp4000.

Getting below 6.5kg should be no problem either. Ti spindles for the speedplays are an obvious source of 50g without compromise. Bars and cassette could go down 100g easily, but I'd have to find another bar I like and deal with durability a ti cassette.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Elrey

by Elrey

It's a very cool bike!

Burgunder

by Burgunder

This bike turned out surprisingly elegant. I'm thinking that that the long seatpost adds some comfort, how does the bike feel? And what diameter is the headtube?

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

The head tube is 28.6 top and bottom.

I'm not usually one for describing or noticing the nuances of how a bike rides or handles, but I'll tell you this: I like to ride it, it seems to go pretty fast, and it inspires me to attack when it hurts. On a less broad note, long rides beat me up a lot less then people were suggesting they would. Maybe the seatpost like Burgunder said.

While I'm here. Anyone recommend a 38mm seatpost collar to replace the clunky silver one I have on here now? I've seen KCNC and MtZoom. Both seem like good options.

jooo

by jooo

The head tube isn't 28.6 - that's the diameter of the fork steerer.

The Tune Schraubwürger is another clamp that comes in 38mm.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Jooo, you are right of course. The frame is set up to S.H.I.S. EC 34/28.6. So, the id of the head-tube is 34mm.

Thanks for the Tune suggestion. They look pretty nice. This bike needs more Tune than just the GumGum.

jooo

by jooo

Mcfk seem to make any size clamp you could want too, but it's not exactly budget friendly compared with the others :thumbup:

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Thanks Jooo. $80-90 is a little steep, but I appreciate they offer the size.

Looks like Smud also offers pretty much any size. 7gm, $47, 6nm Max Torque.

The KCNC SC11 38.2 mm is a pretty good deal: $24 on FWB. In fact, it's the cheapest compatible non-quick-release clamp I've found. Of course, it is double the weight of Mcfk, Smud and MtZoom.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Been 2 months. Great bike. Here it is with new black KCNC clamp.

A little FTW Lore. In the late 80's Frank produced a few (I think 6) track bikes under the Yeti brand. One was for former kilo world record holder Rory O’Reilly. Rory and his son Cody (2009 elite omnium national track champ) are residents of Santa Barbara. Both were out at our local Wednesday night crit practice a few weeks ago and Rory and I had an opportunity, though fleeting, to chat about FTW. It is nice to ride a bike with a link to my local area.

Of more interest to WW, I remember reading elsewhere on the net that the Yeti track bike used a delrin brushing headset. This makes me think it is appropriate to get some delrin on this bike.

jooo

by jooo

Here's a pic of a 'headset' used on a FTW 'YETI' track bike: