Condor, Super Acciaio. Super Steel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Me too!

I just got this a couple of weeks ago. It's a mix of Athena with Chorus Ultrashift levers and Ultratorque chainset. Rides really well and comes in at 8kg.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50557459@N03/12971296803/

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Lemond75 thats nice .... is that Lizzard Skinz bar tape i spy and question for ya what Bottom Bracket set up did you go with ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Thanks very much.

The tape is indeed Lizard skins. It's the first time I've used the 1.8mm stuff but I'm really pleased with it so far.

Having seen your post and the problems you've had with your BB I wasn't surprised that you asked about it. I too was advised by Condor to go for the Wheels Manufacturing BB rather than the Campag cups as they said they'd had problems in the past with them working loose. I did consider the Praxis adapter but it wasn't available at the time I bought the frame, and to be honest I figured that the Campag cups should work properly on the assumption that the frame was made properly and the cups were installed correctly. Furthermore, most of the stuff I found on the internet seemed to suggest that PF30 bearings were more problematic than BB30 so I just hoped for the best.

Condor fitted the cups for me so I've got no idea if they've been ground down or not but so far everything's working perfectly. Obviously I'm not going to open it up to have a look so only time will tell.

Did you manage to resolve the problems you were having with your frame?

mattythemod

by mattythemod

I wnet with the 2.5 mm tape first time for me but feels very plush will see once i have some miles done .

Yes i ended up using a set of ground down cups ..i have just picked up a Carbon Centaur chainset on offer in UltraTorque flavor so have the option of using wheels MGF kit IF Condors " bodge" does not work .

Pretty sure the wheels MGF kit does not use the stock Campag cups http://wheelsmfg.com/campy-bb30-adapter-install but uses derlin adaptors that fit over the crank bearing

Due to health issues i am unable to test ride her so pls let me know how she rides .

Cheers
Matty

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Sorry you can't get to ride yours yet but it'll be worth the wait.

It's been a few years since I rode a steel frame but it does have the smooth ride quality that it's famed for. To be fair, this may also be in part due to the fact that I've specced 25mm tyres too, but whatever it is the ride is really nice.

My first few rides were done on the rollers to dial in the position and what I did notice is that it feels stiffer at the BB compared to the Giant TCR Advanced I was using beforehand, something that I wasn't expecting.

You won't be disappointed with it.

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Incidently theres a review in this months Cyclist magazine if your in the UK .

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Yeah, I saw that and was surprised about the comments regarding the bike's comfort.

Their test bike was fitted with Shamal's whereas mine has Zondas, and I have read that the aluminium spokes are supposed to give a harsher ride than steel, however I've not felt that the bike is uncomfortable in anyway. Perhaps tyre choice and pressure come into it somewhere.

What build have you gone for with yours?

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Lemond75 wrote:Yeah, I saw that and was surprised about the comments regarding the bike's comfort.

Their test bike was fitted with Shamal's whereas mine has Zondas, and I have read that the aluminium spokes are supposed to give a harsher ride than steel, however I've not felt that the bike is uncomfortable in anyway. Perhaps tyre choice and pressure come into it somewhere.

What build have you gone for with yours?

Deda O/S 35 cockpit
Campag Centaur Carbon groupset and Dt Swiss hubbed Pacenti SL23 Rimmed wheels shod with 25 mm GP4000 Tires .

Lemond75

by Lemond75

Nice. Would be good to see some pictures; they're great looking bikes.

mattythemod

by mattythemod

Lemond75 wrote:Nice. Would be good to see some pictures; they're great looking bikes.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=122939

megl

by megl

Lovely bike!

MrTwaddlesGloves

by MrTwaddlesGloves

Hi just came across this post and although a little belatedly, I thought I to would post my build. It took me some 12 months to aquire all the bits, but the wait was more than worth it. Having now ridden the bike for a bit over a year, I can say without hesitation that this is the best bike I've ever owned. Fast, relatively light and responsive is how I would best describe it.

Condor Super Acciaio 58 cm Rapha/Condor/Sharp paint

Strada Wheels hand built wheelset. Velocity A23 rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes (black) with matching alloy nipples, DT Swiss 180 carbon ceramic hubs, red veloplugs & Carbon.Ti Qr skewers. 28 Hole radial front, 28 Hole 2X rear.
Continental GP 4000s 25mm
Sram Red Shifters
Sram Red Front & Rear Derailleurs with chain spotter
Sram Red XG 1090 cx cassette 12 - 27
EE Cycleworks eebrakes, Swisstop BXP pads
Rotor Bike 3D+ Crankset 50/34
KMC X10sl chain
Syntace P6 Carbon HiFlex seatpost
Fizik Antares 00 saddle
Carbon.Ti seat clamp
3T Arx Team Stem 110 mm black
3T Ergosum Ltd bars 42 cm
Lizardskin 3.2 mm DSP tape
Zipp Carbon steerer spacers
Jagwire brake Cables
Shimano Teflon derailleur Cables
Garmin 500 computer with K-edge mount
Vincero Cages
Speedplay Zero Stainless Pedals

Weight as above 7.75kg
Last edited by MrTwaddlesGloves on Thu May 29, 2014 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrTwaddlesGloves

by MrTwaddlesGloves

Hi just came across this post and although a little belatedly, I thought I to would post my build. It took me some 12 months to aquire all the bits, but the wait was more than worth it. Having now ridden the bike for a bit over a year, I can say without hesitation that this is the best bike I've ever owned. Fast, relatively light and responsive is how I would best describe it.

Condor Super Acciaio 58 cm Rapha/Condor/Sharp paint

Strada Wheels hand built wheelset. Velocity A23 rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes (black) with matching alloy nipples, DT Swiss 180 carbon ceramic hubs, red veloplugs & Carbon.Ti Qr skewers. 28 Hole radial front, 28 Hole 2X rear.
Continental GP 4000s 25mm
Sram Red Shifters
Sram Red Front & Rear Derailleurs with chain spotter
Sram Red XG 1090 cx cassette 12 - 27
EE Cycleworks eebrakes, Swisstop BXP pads
Rotor Bike 3D+ Crankset 50/34
KMC X10sl chain
Syntace P6 Carbon HiFlex seatpost
Fizik Antares 00 saddle
Carbon.Ti seat clamp
3T Arx Team Stem 110 mm black
3T Ergosum Ltd bars 42 cm