Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:28 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Power coating a caad10
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 pm
Posts: 64
Hello to all WEIGHT WEENIES . :D


I have this idea in my head to power coat my cannondale caad10 in flat black , but I wonder if the caad10 material can resist the heat a friend of mine is doing the work for a reasonable price but I wonder if the heat will have an impact on the frame, now he said that he will not do the fork since it is carbon fiber but he will paint it in the same color in order to match it up. I want to do this because I GOT TIRED of the boring paint scheme of my bike . Any share thoughts will be really appreciated . :beerchug:


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:43 pm
Posts: 32
Location: Oldeholtpade
Should be possibel, not sure what heat is needed for powder coating but lots of bike parts are powdercoated.
althrough if it would cost you 200$ you will be better off painting it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am
Posts: 2282
Location: Pedal Square
Typical powder coating curing temperature up to around 200C should not harm the frame integrity. Be very carefuly about preparation and protection of all threads and fittings though (barrel adjuster sockets, bottom bracket, BB cable guide, dropouts, headtube, seattube, brake holes etc). It's very tedious to get rid of any excess material afterwards.

_________________
Bikes: Raw Ti, 650b flatbar CX


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 pm
Posts: 64
Thanks for the reply guys ! The painter told me that frame will be really prepared BUUUUUT the frame will be going to a 400 degree oven in which I am very worry about the frame integrity. Of course he will not power coat the carbon fork.. :beerchug:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:39 am
Posts: 1540
Location: Canada
loco2546 wrote:
Thanks for the reply guys ! The painter told me that frame will be really prepared BUUUUUT the frame will be going to a 400 degree oven in which I am very worry about the frame integrity. Of course he will not power coat the carbon fork.. :beerchug:


Usually the parts stay about 10-15 minutes in the oven to cure. It will not do anything to your frame.

_________________
██ MARTINI


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:08 am
Posts: 281
Location: Slovakia
Do you consider black less boring than any colorful scheme (even black and white)? :-)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:32 pm
Posts: 364
The heat will not damage the frame however the prep certainly can. Most powder coaters sand blast (not real sand) the frame with a process that removes a tiny bit of material... for the CADD, this could be an issue. There are areas that are quite thin... so maybe paint strip it first then powder coat.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 pm
Posts: 64
martinko wrote:
Do you consider black less boring than any colorful scheme (even black and white)? :-)



Honestly the flat black look BEAUTIFUL on a road bike ! I am open to suggestions on colors though :beerchug:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 pm
Posts: 64
grid256 wrote:
The heat will not damage the frame however the prep certainly can. Most powder coaters sand blast (not real sand) the frame with a process that removes a tiny bit of material... for the CADD, this could be an issue. There are areas that are quite thin... so maybe paint strip it first then powder coat.





Can you please recommend any paint stripper since I am planning to give the frame without the paint ...... :beerchug:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 pm
Posts: 163
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
aircraft paint stripper will work well for aluminum frames.
you can get it in aerosol or paint on. a frame would take a whole aerosol can most likely if not maybe a little more.

it softens the paint up a lot, then you wipe/scrape it off with a plastic card. you will likely have a residue on the frame after to deal with, a light sanding with 300 grit would likely get rid of it and give the surface a light texture to promote adhesion of the powder.

-M


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:27 pm
Posts: 64
shlammed wrote:
aircraft paint stripper will work well for aluminum frames.
you can get it in aerosol or paint on. a frame would take a whole aerosol can most likely if not maybe a little more.

it softens the paint up a lot, then you wipe/scrape it off with a plastic card. you will likely have a residue on the frame after to deal with, a light sanding with 300 grit would likely get rid of it and give the surface a light texture to promote adhesion of the powder.

-M




Awesome.! Let me buy 1 can. Now will these work for the carbon fork as well.....? :up:


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:59 pm
Posts: 163
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
i probably wouldnt use the aircraft stripper on the carbon, but someone else confirm that. its a pretty harsh chemical, i could see it eating away the resin in the carbon.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. 0302's CAAD10

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

0302

10

2248

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 pm

0302 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Caad10 anodised

in Road

Beancouter

0

460

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:31 pm

Beancouter View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2011 CAAD10 105

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

importbible

15

3000

Sat May 14, 2016 12:09 pm

ItxinakoAtxak View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. My CAAD10 to RAAD10 conversion

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

dlcrep

17

4117

Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:26 pm

dlcrep View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited