Cervelo S1 winter build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

5shot

by 5shot

I had been looking for an aluminum framset to build up as foul weather/winter bike and about a month ago I found a "new old stock" 2010 S1 in my size. I built it up and have been riding it for the last 3 weeks or so. It's not as smooth or light as my Cervelo R5 but it's not too rough and weighs 6.30kg (13.86lbs.) as pictured below. I'd like to replace the cables with Alligator I-links in the future and perhaps make some other changes here and there. However, it is a bad weather bike so I ought to show some restraint. Here are the build specs:

Size 56
Brakes: SRAM Red "black"
Brake/shift levers: SRAM Red "black"
FD: SRAM Red "black"
RD: SRAM Red "black"
Cassette: SRAM Red "black"
Crankset: SRAM Red "black"
BB: SRAM Red GXP (ceramic bearings)
Chain: SRAM 1091R
Pedals: Speedplay X-2 w/ Ward Ti Spindles, Al bowties and Ti bolts
Housing: SRAM (Gore Ride-On shift)
Bar Tape: Lizard Skins DSP 1.8
Bars: Ritchey WCS Logic II 42cm
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 120mm (borrowed from one of my 'cross bikes while waiting for Ritchey WCS C-260)
Seatpost: Cervelo Carbon Aero
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Ti rails
Wheels: Reynolds DV46 T UL (removed stickers)
Tires: Vittoria Corsa EVO CX (tubular)
Skewers: Tune
Bottle Cages: Arundel Mandible Oil Slick
Headset: FSA IS-2
Top Cap: Extralite w/ Al bolt
Spacers: Generic Carbon (for now)
Expander: Extralite Ultrastar 2
Last edited by 5shot on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Damn. That frameset is heavy too......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inthedrops

by inthedrops

I'm not sure where you live and what the weather is like but I don't see ANY "restraint" going on here :)

5shot

by 5shot

inthedrops,

Fair enough. I will admit that the wheelset is not my everyday "foul weather" wheelset. I just slapped those on to get an idea of how light the bike could be. My normal wheelset is a bit more pedestrian has has tires that are better suited for inclement weather and bad roads (Conti Grand Prix 4 Season).

I live in Wyoming and the winter weather here can be a bit harsh. Nonetheless, if the roads are clear of ice, I ride on them, year round. When the roads are not clear, I hop on one of my cyclocross bikes on my 29er, year round.
Last edited by 5shot on Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyindo

by andyindo

Geez, if thats your winter bike I'd love to see your summer bike!!!

Kastrup

by Kastrup

andyindo wrote:Geez, if thats your winter bike I'd love to see your summer bike!!!

My thought exactly! I get the frame, but the rest seems very high-end for a winter build. Lovely bike nonetheless :thumbup:
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

5shot

by 5shot

I don't see why a winter/foul weather bike should be equipped with lower quality components. For me, the important criterium was the aluminum frame because there is a lot more gravel/sand/salt on the roads and I don't want to risk riding my carbon framed bike. By the way, here is the "good weather" bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=95450

jdp211

by jdp211

Any particular reason for Dura ace on one bike and Red on the other?

andyindo

by andyindo

5shot wrote:I don't see why a winter/foul weather bike should be equipped with lower quality components. For me, the important criterium was the aluminum frame because there is a lot more gravel/sand/salt on the roads and I don't want to risk riding my carbon framed bike. By the way, here is the "good weather" bike:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=95450" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dont get me wrong, its a lovely build. Why dont you want to ride your carbon frame with salt and grit?Its not as though the carbon will get damaged is it?

I ride my colnago C40 with old dura ace 7800 through winter and have done for many years. Frame is still fine. For me a winter bike is more about preserving the wheels and components such as the cassettes, chains etc. My 7800 is old for me and I replace with 105 cassettes and chains when needed and run 32spoke mavic open pro wheels on 105 hubs.

You have two very nice bikes there.

inthedrops

by inthedrops

5shot wrote:inthedrops,

Fair enough. I will admit that the wheelset is not my everyday "foul weather" wheelset. I just slapped those on to get an idea of how light the bike could be. My normal wheelset is a bit more pedestrian has has tires that are better suited for inclement weather and bad roads (Conti Grand Prix 4 Season).

I live in Wyoming and the winter weather here can be a bit harsh. Nonetheless, if the roads are clear of ice, I ride on them, year round. When the roads are not clear, I hop on one of my cyclocross bikes on my 29er, year round.

No worries mate. And I neglected to comment in my first post that I enjoy your bike. For some perspective, this is my "winter beater" (crap components all around)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mannequinforce

by mannequinforce

This is well done! I need to get some Red bits on their quickly! Are you still riding this by chance? Thanks!