Power coating a caad10

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

loco2546

by loco2546

Hello to all WEIGHT WEENIES . :D

I have this idea in my head to power coat my cannondale caad10 in flat black , but I wonder if the caad10 material can resist the heat a friend of mine is doing the work for a reasonable price but I wonder if the heat will have an impact on the frame, now he said that he will not do the fork since it is carbon fiber but he will paint it in the same color in order to match it up. I want to do this because I GOT TIRED of the boring paint scheme of my bike . Any share thoughts will be really appreciated . :beerchug:

allardklijnstra

by allardklijnstra

Should be possibel, not sure what heat is needed for powder coating but lots of bike parts are powdercoated.
althrough if it would cost you 200$ you will be better off painting it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Typical powder coating curing temperature up to around 200C should not harm the frame integrity. Be very carefuly about preparation and protection of all threads and fittings though (barrel adjuster sockets, bottom bracket, BB cable guide, dropouts, headtube, seattube, brake holes etc). It's very tedious to get rid of any excess material afterwards.

loco2546

by loco2546

Thanks for the reply guys ! The painter told me that frame will be really prepared BUUUUUT the frame will be going to a 400 degree oven in which I am very worry about the frame integrity. Of course he will not power coat the carbon fork.. :beerchug:

ferrarista

by ferrarista

loco2546 wrote:Thanks for the reply guys ! The painter told me that frame will be really prepared BUUUUUT the frame will be going to a 400 degree oven in which I am very worry about the frame integrity. Of course he will not power coat the carbon fork.. :beerchug:

Usually the parts stay about 10-15 minutes in the oven to cure. It will not do anything to your frame.
██

martinko

by martinko

Do you consider black less boring than any colorful scheme (even black and white)? :-)

grid256

by grid256

The heat will not damage the frame however the prep certainly can. Most powder coaters sand blast (not real sand) the frame with a process that removes a tiny bit of material... for the CADD, this could be an issue. There are areas that are quite thin... so maybe paint strip it first then powder coat.

loco2546

by loco2546

martinko wrote:Do you consider black less boring than any colorful scheme (even black and white)? :-)

Honestly the flat black look BEAUTIFUL on a road bike ! I am open to suggestions on colors though :beerchug:

loco2546

by loco2546

grid256 wrote:The heat will not damage the frame however the prep certainly can. Most powder coaters sand blast (not real sand) the frame with a process that removes a tiny bit of material... for the CADD, this could be an issue. There are areas that are quite thin... so maybe paint strip it first then powder coat.

Can you please recommend any paint stripper since I am planning to give the frame without the paint ...... :beerchug:

shlammed

by shlammed

aircraft paint stripper will work well for aluminum frames.
you can get it in aerosol or paint on. a frame would take a whole aerosol can most likely if not maybe a little more.

it softens the paint up a lot, then you wipe/scrape it off with a plastic card. you will likely have a residue on the frame after to deal with, a light sanding with 300 grit would likely get rid of it and give the surface a light texture to promote adhesion of the powder.

-M

loco2546

by loco2546

shlammed wrote:aircraft paint stripper will work well for aluminum frames.
you can get it in aerosol or paint on. a frame would take a whole aerosol can most likely if not maybe a little more.

it softens the paint up a lot, then you wipe/scrape it off with a plastic card. you will likely have a residue on the frame after to deal with, a light sanding with 300 grit would likely get rid of it and give the surface a light texture to promote adhesion of the powder.

-M

Awesome.! Let me buy 1 can. Now will these work for the carbon fork as well.....? :up:

shlammed

by shlammed

i probably wouldnt use the aircraft stripper on the carbon, but someone else confirm that. its a pretty harsh chemical, i could see it eating away the resin in the carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com